1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound problem with Netflix/Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Playloud, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1 of 161
    Playloud

Playloud Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Ok. I just ordered Netflix so I could use it with my Tivo HD.

1st attempt
    : Tried watching The Fifth Element. SD signal, Quality = 12 bars.
    It seems as if the audio is running a tad fast. The voices sound too high pitched, and there is kind of a clicking sound a few times per second when there is any sound. It seems as if the audio is running fast, but then fixing itself a few times per second to stay in sync with the video.

2nd attempt: Heroes Season 3. HD Signal, Quality = 13 bars.
    Outstanding. Everything working perfectly. Audio is perfect.

3rd attempt: Ghostbusters. SD Signal, Quality = 12 bars.
    Exactly like The Fifth Element. Picture is fine, but the audio is off (see 1st attempt for explanation).

4th attempt: Heroes Season 3 (most recent episode). SD Signal. Quality = 12 bars.
    Exactly like The Fifth Element. Picture is fine, but the audio is off (see 1st attempt for explanation).

Conclusion...
    It appears HD content is fine, but SD content has audio errors. I have tried rebooting my Tivo HD, but the problem remains. (edit: this conclusion has been debunked. Please see next post) Has anybody else noticed this?

Specs:
    DVR: Tivo HD
    Tivo Software Version: 11.0-01-2-652
    Netflix Software Version: NFLX-1.0-0001-00
    Tivo Internet Connection: Wired
    ISP: Verizon FIOS 20/5
    TV: Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U-B
    Tivo/TV Connection: HDMI

2. Dec 8, 2008 #2 of 161
    Playloud

Playloud Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Update...

Well, I was trying more HD episodes of Heroes Season 3, and I found one that had the same audio problems as the SD vids I tried, so it isn't SD exclusively that messes up.

However, upon further review, I believe the video may be running a bit fast as well. It is hard to tell though, so I can't be sure.

I am hoping somebody can tell me what is going on, as the Netflix service is pretty worthless to me as is.

3. Dec 8, 2008 #3 of 161
    Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I'm having the same issues.

HDMI to a 46d65u Sharp Aquos and sound is high pitched and scratchy sometimes.

Also after watching NetFlix the TiVo sounds (the beeps and boops) are way out of whack also (they sound way too high pitched and are scratchy sounding also) and can only be fixed by going to live tv and back again.

This as happened once or twice before with a pyTivo video but I can reproduce it everytime now with this Netflix app (although a few HD vids work perfectly fine).

4. Dec 8, 2008 #4 of 161
    Playloud

Playloud Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I noticed this also. Even though the "beep and boop" volume was set to low in the Tivo settings, it was still rather loud, and would distort in a "scratchy" way like you mentioned. Even if the TV volume was low, it would scratch. I played a Blu-Ray disc through my PS3 (also HDMI), and turned it up loud with no problems, so it isn't my TV speakers.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #5 of 161
    rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Same problem with sound here when using Netflix. I also had similar sound problems when trying to watch Youtube video. The sound problem seems to persist even when I get back to watching regular Tivo recordings. It takes a while for the problem to clear up. Sometimes I have to switch between several recorded programs to get the sound back to normal.

I also happen to have a Roku player for Netflix, and it works fine for both audio and video. I have never had any issues with Roku streaming.

I can't imagine why this would be a problem with just a few Tivo users.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #6 of 161
    Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    What type of TV do you have? Are you using HDMI connection?

Also the sound problem clears for me when I go to Live TV for a second and then go back to the menus.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #7 of 161
    forthekill

forthekill New Member

May 29, 2005
    I have the same issue. Any movie I watch has high pitched sound that warbles and occasionally clicks or has "noise". I haven't been able to get any movies to play with the correct sound so far.

RCN 10Mbps wired to the Tivo through Linksys router
    Tivo HD
    Sharp Aquos 46d64u
    HDMI connection

I use pyTivo and never have any issues with sound or video, and stream basically instantly.

8. Dec 8, 2008 #8 of 161
    rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I am using a Samsung lcd hd set, with an hdmi connection. For sound I have used both optical audio from the Tivo and stereo audio from the Samsung set. I have experienced the audio problem from both the stereo audio and the digital audio from the Tivo. There is definitely a problem with the Tivo, not with the tv.

9. Dec 8, 2008 #9 of 161
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Hopefully it will all be sorted out soon. I'm sure they're trying to tweak the servers to make it work right. It'll probably settle down over the next few days.

But this is also a lesson in being an early adoptor. You're guaranteed to have issues.

10. Dec 9, 2008 #10 of 161
    Playloud

Playloud Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Ok. I made audio recordings using an iPod mic I bought for recording lectures in class. I set the mic up right next to my TV, and played the same scene twice. The files are about 500KB each, and in MP3 format.

1st file is from my Ghostbusters DVD, as played on my PS3. This is how it is supposed to sound.
    http://www.filedropper.com/ghostbustersps3-dvd

2nd file is from Ghostbusters via Netflix, as played by my Tivo HD.
    http://www.filedropper.com/ghostbusterstivo-netflix

Edit: I added this to the top of the thread.

11. Dec 9, 2008 #11 of 161
    skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    1st episode of 30 Rock has the audio problems, too.

12. Dec 9, 2008 #12 of 161
    Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have this same problem. Mine sounds like the audio speed is off when hooked up with hdmi. This problem is only with netflix for me. I don't get this problem when using my stereo with an optical connection.

Like I said Netflix is the only one with the problem.

It sucks that we have this problem. But its good that we know it must be a software problem and nothing is horribly wrong with any one persons tivo.

13. Dec 9, 2008 #13 of 161
    javajawa

javajawa New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Yep. My audio was continuously about 2 sec behind the video. I was trying to watch "Wargames: The Dead Code". Don't remember how many bars, but it wasn't HD.

14. Dec 9, 2008 #14 of 161
    Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    It sounds like there may be 2 separate problems in this thread.

1. An HDMI handshake issue that messes with sound (pitch, scratches, speed, etc) on certain types of videos that also messes up the TiVo system sounds and probably will have to be addressed with a software update from TiVo

and

2. Video encoding errors from Netflix that seem to cause audio lagging behind the video.

The first problem is not solely a Netflix issue. It can also be produced by viewing certain types of videos using pyTiVo or similar.

15. Dec 9, 2008 #15 of 161
    forthekill

forthekill New Member

May 29, 2005
    After more testing, my problem seems to be related to the HDMI connection.

Through the component video and composite audio, everything I've tried sounds fine.

Using the HDMI, the sound is like everyone is a warbling munchkin from Oz, but only when viewing Netflix content.

16. Dec 9, 2008 #16 of 161
    rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Like others I seem to have verified that the audio problem only happens across the hdmi connection from Tivo to my tv, but only with Netflix.

I tried using the optical output from Tivo straight to my wireless headphones and the audio sounds okay there.

So it looks like it's an HDMI/Netflix issue.

17. Dec 9, 2008 #17 of 161
    Playloud

Playloud Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Hopefully, somebody from Tivo can comment.

18. Dec 11, 2008 #18 of 161
    kichigai01

kichigai01 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I just got Netflix linked to to my Tivo and I am having exactly the same issue of a "chipmunk" type error.

Everything is higher pitched then it should be and I haven't really tried anything yet but I will and get back to everyone.

19. Dec 11, 2008 #19 of 161
    nmccainjr

nmccainjr New Member

May 23, 2008
    Good!! I thought it was just me having this problem. Maybe they get fix soon

20. Dec 11, 2008 #20 of 161
    lordbah

lordbah New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    Rochester,...
    I experience the audio about one second AHEAD of the video. Pitch sounds okay though.