1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone asked about YouTube app....here it is

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by big_dirk, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 #1 of 32
    big_dirk

big_dirk uktivo.blogspot.com

Feb 17, 2006
    Hi all,

I can't find the post but someone asked me questions about the YouTube app, I posted it on my blog so you can see how it works :)

http://uktivo.blogspot.com

It's pretty cool, although I have an XBMC to do almost the exact same function. The TiVo benefits from having a "suggestive" search.

2. Feb 9, 2011 #2 of 32
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    just found this that explains a bit more about youtube on tivo

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/251

I'm guessing it's refering to generally only being able to play the newer encoded files on youtube, but not sure if youtube are supposed to have re-encoded most videos.

3. Feb 9, 2011 #3 of 32
    big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    cheers for that JonPhil. I was asked by someone on here whether or not you could choose which quality to view, can't find the post for the life of me. Quite enjoy the YouTube app to be honest.

4. Feb 9, 2011 #4 of 32
    Moe UK

Moe UK New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    West London
    Thanks it was me who posted a question, but i see you found the post in the other thread. Are you able to log into the site to access your favorites?

5. Feb 9, 2011 #5 of 32
    big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    yes you can, just checked for you :D

Tell you what actually, I wish I'd have videod that, the TiVo was RAPID!!! I mean no lag at all, lightening fast. Even opening up the apps screen then the app itsself. Dunno if you're reading this VM, but if you've done something tonight, it's worked!

6. Feb 9, 2011 #6 of 32
    Moe UK

Moe UK New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    West London
    Youtube plugins can be very funny in their way they behave, I have used them on mobiles, a popcorn hour and XBMC. some days they can be rapid and some days they just take their sweet old time.

7. Feb 9, 2011 #7 of 32
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    sometimes video's can be available to watch one day and not the other too.
    Have you noticed any programs give links to related youtube content yet when looking at the details?

8. Feb 9, 2011 #8 of 32
    big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    I agree, but I was on about the TiVo interface leading up to navigating to the YouTube App :D :up: good news for us TiVoers!

@johnphil. yes, I have a video of this in action too, would you be interested in me uploading?

9. Feb 9, 2011 #9 of 32
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    yeah why not, that's as long as the wife isn't getting bored of just watching the menus.

lol.... I have uploaded a number of video's to youtube myself over the years when I first got my sat nav and decided to do videos for people who wanted to see what it was like.

10. Moe UK

Moe UK New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    West London
    Yeah man go ahead upload away. At this point I will watch any Tivo video while I impatiently await my call from Virgin.

11. big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    cool i'll post it then. It's where I take a look at the actor search feature, which is pretty damn cool. It's about 1min 20 in to the video. I'm stripping the audio of my Mrs making tea and the cats playing in the background now via Windows Movie Maker! I've enjoyed this week, learnt all sorts of new technology! :p

12. big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    haha! :D that's what I was like. Uploading now. This one's a biggie.

13. big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
  14. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Are you holding the camera whilst recording? It might be better to stand it on a table or, preferably, a tripod.

Even better would be to connect the source directly to the computer to record, but you need stuff like video cards so, doesn't matter.

15. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    Great video that is. :up::)

Good choice of actress too. ;)

Can't wait to set-up my first 'find football' wishlist. And the speed of the interface in that video looked pretty decent, performance-wise.

16. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    Your video differs from the VM Demo (pause at 1:10)
    when you search for Angelina Jolie, it only shows "films, more info" at left - on the VM Demo the equivalent menu has TV,films,info.
    So it doesn't show the TV programmes listed later in your wishlist.

Your wishlist then shows only the TV shows - not the on demand content (films). Are they shown if you "view upcoming programmes" from that wishlist ?

I also thought the youtube stuff would be more integrated - can you get to a youtube search on Angelina Jolie from the above menus without retyping on the youtube page?

I'll find out in just 5 days anyway - lots of us seem to be getting installs on the 15th :D

17. big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006

Good point, I wonder if it only pops the TV option up if it can see any upcoming TV shows in it's database? I will have a look tonight.

I am buoyed again today by TiVo, with the speed I saw on my box last night. Only glitch I had last night was the "Celebrity" app didn't work. I've not tried it before so it may be that it's just never worked. I was going to film it for my blog that's all. Being perfectly honest I was actually tempted to call in the "cooling off period" and *whispers* send it back after the last few days of navigation issues.....but as I say I'm much happier today. I wonder if VM are working on it somehow. I may start writing down my software number to see if i'm getting updates.

18. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Is there a way to see when it updated and when the guide information is available till like on the S1 Tivo's.

19. big_dirk

Feb 17, 2006
    Not sure actually. It's at times like this I need to be able to control my TiVo from somewhere else! At least I can record from the VM site!

20. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Only just watched the video and it goes into so much more depth than the S1's do.
    Also impressed with the speed on the menu's, it's faster than my SkyHD box.

I'm wondering if the slow times is when it's downloading or updating all the guide information in the background.
    Without knowing when / if it's updating at the time it's hard to tell I guess.