1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions on using my new Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by FredT, Oct 4, 2013.

1. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I've been using a Mac with EyeTV and Apple TVs for several years for my DVR duties and so got used to things being a certain way. So getting started with TiVo is a learning experience. For the most part it's been good. But there are some deficiencies that I haven't figured out yet, and I don't know if it's because I'm missing something or that they just can't be done.

1. Season Passes - This is easy and looks to be better than EyeTV. But there are a couple of scenarios that don't work for me. First, for daily programs that I only want recorded on one day. An example is PBS News Hour. I only want to record it on Friday. EyeTV would let me set up the recording on Friday and then specify that it recurs weekly. Second, daily shows that are aired twice. An example is BBC news, which airs at 2:30 and repeats at 4. I only want to record the one at 4. Are there any way to get around these problems?

2. Organization - There are shows that my wife watches, others that I watch, and yet others that we both watch. Is there any way to group shows into folders?

3. Recording that have been viewed - My wife is not very good at housekeeping (TV shows, not the house!) and depends on my to clean up and get rid of old shows. But I don't see any indicator of whether a recording has been viewed or not. I must be missing something, because this would seem like a pretty obvious feature.

I guess that's all for now. I love the iPad app. I just wish it would allow Airplay, because I'd love to be able to watch on my Mac.

2. moon_tower

moon_tower New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    I'll try to help.
    1. There are a couple of ways. You can set a season pass to record first run only. That way it only records the first one and no repeats. However, sometimes if the data is flawed from the guide, this will not work. It is common for PBS shows or Comedy Central shows to all be new. The most sure way is to do a manual recording. You can set one for weekly or daily. The only time this messes up is when the schedule changes because your TiVo will not adjust; it will continue with the same set time.

2. You can only group into folders by show. You can't do his and hers.

3. I don't think you are missing anything. TiVo does not keep up with viewed or not viewed. Keep in mind TiVo will housekeep itself if it gets full. It will start deleting the oldest shows unless you mark them keep until I delete. If you mark everything like that, it will then stop recording when full.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Tivo knows if a show repeats, so long as the guide data is good, and will record it only once. Your BBC news example (230/400) is irrelevant to the Tivo.

The tivo does not keep a record of what has been viewed. I have never even seen this as a request from new users, interesting, but it seems like a lot of variances could take place, such as if it was watched live, from another source (mini, other Tivo), or was only started and not finished or was ffw and not deleted.

4. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks. Manual recording was what I was looking for. I kept looking in the recording settings from the listings, did not expect it in Settings. I'll give the BBC Season Pass a try and see what happens. As for others, guess we'll have to try to adjust. We're old and don't like change! :eek:

5. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I think the show font is in BOLD if the show hasn't been watched yet. You can try setting the season pass to only record one show maximum so then it will record each day, but replace it with the newest one when it airs, so Friday's show will be the only one on your TiVo when you go to watch it later that night (or weekend?).

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Then why did you go away from using the eyeTV?

7. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Ah, yes, well it was the little matter of Comcast encrypting limited basic service. Clear QAM went away, so my tuners no longer work, and so neither does EyeTV. I could get a tuner that uses CableCard and put Windows on my Mac, but I decided that that was too much trouble.

8. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Well, it recorded both shows. I'll just set it to keep one show, then I assume I'll only get the later recording.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    TiVo does keep track of which shows are partially viewed. That is to say, it keeps a bookmark for each show. If the bookmark is at zero (unplayed), the menu says "Play" when you select the show; otherwise, it's "Resume Playing".

The bookmark gets reset when you exit the show within the last, IIRC, five minutes. In this case, you also get a prompt to keep the show, or delete it. The simplest way to manage your shows is to delete them right from there when you're done watching them.

Or, you could just let the TiVo handle it. The TiVo will automatically delete old shows as new ones come in, once it runs out of space. It's designed to not require a lot of manual management.