1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sold Tivo w/Lifetime but Still on My Acct.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by naranja, Sep 18, 2012.

1. naranja

naranja Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I sold a lifetime tivo on craigslist a while back and just logged into my online account and it is still there. I can see their season passes, to do lists etc. I called tivo to have it removed and was told that only the new owner could do that by creating an account. I have no way to contact them. I suppose I could call tivo and create a new account with bogus info, or start messing with the season passes etc hoping the new owner will call tivo. Anybody have any luck getting tivo to remove a dvr in a similar situation or have a suggestion?

Thanks

2. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Schedule the tivo to record alot of p0rn they would probably call tivo then to ask why its happening. :D

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I used to have a couple I sold on my account like that. Eventually they switched it to their account.

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I have two friends I have pruchsed lifetime TiVo for on my account. Neither has bothered to created their own account. Not sure either knows enough to realize they can even do that.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That (bolded above) should get his attention.

And daytime soap operas, infomercials, etc. :p

Maybe he'll post here asking why his TiVo is recording crap all of a sudden. :cool:

6. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    call up again. I sold a Tivo and the guy put a warranty on it and it was charged to me. IT took a few calls and waiting on the phone to get it resolved.

7. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    I had that same problem, except I was the guy buying the Tivo. Support we're not able to resolve the issue and suggested I pay the prior owner for the warranty. Granted this was a minor issue for me, as he was a co-worker - but it is disappointing their system can't handle this correctly. It left me wondering what else I could have changed :D

8. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Did you tell them what to do and how to do it? I still have two S1 boxes on my account that the new owners refused to transfer and Tivo refuses to remove. One other thing you can do is to uncheck the boxes that allow video transfers and downloads.

9. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    They might have bought the Tivos only with in mind to sell them at a higher price, or only because they needed them temporarily, as is a guy in another thread. I have over 10 lifetime tivos with only one on my account because they are all for sale. I plan to keep 3 of them, but which ones that I keep depends on which Tivos sell. I always keep at least two lifetime TiVos at my significant others house too.

10. naranja

naranja Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I had settled on letting it ride since I rarely visit Tivo on line but then this talk of getting warranty charges raises concerns. I checked to see if I had a credit card associated with this Tivo and got this message: "We're sorry, you are not the billing contact for this TiVo Service Number, so you cannot change the credit card..." I bought it used myself so I'm guessing it's the previous owner? Anyway, that's encouraging and I think I'll also give another try getting it removed via online chat or email so I have a record I can print. I turned off transfers and downloads and if it' still there in another month or so maybe I'll try something else.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The problem is, even when they remove it from the account where you can make changes to it, the box will still show up on the list of TiVos(You can't make any changes or view any info, but they still show up in the account list and TiVo can't remove them).

I still have seventeen TiVos showing up on my account list. I've had this problem for years and the only way for them to fix it is to move my current boxes to a new account. But to do that they have to create a new MAK. And with the new MAK, old recordings can't be viewed any more from TiVo Desktop. It was a PITA with my recordings the last time my MAK was changed by a CSR and I don't want to go through all that again.

12. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I sold a series 3 with lifetime about 2 years ago and it still shows under the 'active dvrs' on my account. I can't however select it when browsing the dvr specific sections (season pass, tv listings, etc.)