1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software to change tivo files to mpeg.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by caddyroger, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1 of 67
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I need software that will change tivo files to mpeg files.

2. Sep 2, 2009 #2 of 67
    spocko

spocko TiVo HD

Feb 4, 2009
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #3 of 67
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It's not free, but VideoReDo is worth the price of admission for converting .TiVo to plain MPEG-2, editing out commercials, and even creating DVDs.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #4 of 67
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Triple the VideoReDo TVSuite recommendations...there is no better application for converting, editing and saving TiVo recordings, period. (And I've tried them all!) You can download a trial version for free, but fair warning, you'll be hooked. :up: (Unfortunately it's Windows only right now, but the good folks there say they are working on a Mac version...right guys? ;) )

5. Sep 2, 2009 #5 of 67
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Kmttg will download and decode recordings into MPG in one step.

6. Sep 6, 2009 #6 of 67
    seplant

seplant New Member

Aug 2, 2009

I have tried editing commercials out of MPEG files using AVIDEMUX, and have had pretty good results, but some files, especially ones recorded on USAhd, have had problems with the audio being out of sync with the video after the commercials are edited out. I have tried correcting by delaying the audio using this feature in AVIDEMUX, but the audio seems to get more out of sync further into the recording, and becomes impossible to correct.

Does VideoReDo TVSuite do a better job of keeping the audio in sync with the video? If so, I might just try it.

7. Sep 6, 2009 #7 of 67
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It does a great job. In fact, VRD even has a ''Quickstream Fix'' tool that takes care of minor encoding glitches.

I say go ahead and try it. Only you can determine if it is the right software for your needs.
    You can use it for free for 15 days (trial basis), just be sure to request a trial key for full functionality.
    I suspect once you try VRD, you won't want to use anything else.

BTW, if you already have software to burn DVD's, just get VideoReDo Plus. The plus version does (almost) everything TV Suite does, except burn DVDs, and costs less.
    http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

8. Sep 6, 2009 #8 of 67
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Unless there's a problem with the actual source video I've never experienced a sync issue with VideoReDo TVSuite. It even has a "clean up" feature that can rectify some source code issues.

9. Sep 9, 2009 #9 of 67
    twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    With a series 2, you might be fine with VRD, but if you have anything better, you'lre going to get way too many "Video Dimensions Changed" problems, and their hack (QSF fix) doesn't work with the series 3 devices any more. Dunno about s2, didn't try it.

Just stay FAR away from VRD, they're a hack, if nothing else.

10. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    :confused: VideoReDo TVSuite works perfectly fine with our Series3 and TiVo HD videos. SD, HD, everything is good.

11. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Well, then you're lucky. Not even a "Video Dimensions Changed" error?
    This has been reported by countless people, especially with HD dvrs over various markets. Most likely this is a market based thing, but that still doesn't excuse them for not fixing the bug in over a year.

12. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    No errors so far. I just cut out the commercials and burn shows to a DVD and they're good to go.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually this problem effects a very small percentage of our customers. In fact I believe that twhiting9275 is the first US customer to ever report running into it. (previously this only effected a couple of DSS providers in Europe) twhiting9275 is also the only person to ever complain that our workaround, QSF, "corrupted" his files. So suggesting that this is some sort of wide spread problem that is going to effect everyone who uses VRD is nothing more then FUD.

That being said we are aware that the problem is becoming more prevalent and we are currently working on a fix. However this limitation is pretty deeply embedded in the core of the product and it is going to take some time to get it worked out.

For anyone worried that you will be effected by this problem I encourage you to take full advantage of our free 15 day trial before purchasing. That way you can be sure that you are not effected by the problem. Or if you are you can decide for yourself if our workaround is too inconvenient for you.

Dan

14. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I'll bet when there's a Mac version it'll be absolutely perfect! :) Can't wait Dan! ;)

15. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    You are incredibly lucky

Based on the number of reports in your forum, I'm not the "first person" to see this issue, though I would expect nothing less than a brushoff from your company that can't even manage to resolve an issue in a timely fashion

Yadda yadda yadda. Typical speak for "we'll get to it when we feel like it". You've known about the issue for 5 years, at one time it was supposedly fixed, but you've pretty much ignored it (and your product) for over a year. Small shop or not, not excusable.

I can't explain the QSF problems, all I know is exactly what Tivo tells me, which is pretty much nothing. The show starts transferring, then just immediately afterwards stops. The full show transfers just fine, but the QSF created show does not. Go fig.

Support from these guys is attrocious to say the least. I understand you have a company to run, but ignoring your clients complaints for a year or better is just wrong. Your last (stable) release was over a year ago, and even your betas have shown no progress on this problem.

16. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I've never had any issues with VRD and files from my THD/S3 boxes either.

17. jbernardis

jbernardis New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Although I use kmttg for downloading, I no longer use it for decoding. It gives me poor video quality - I can see the horizontal scan lines. I use VRD and have not had an issue with it.

18. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Twhiting9275, Maybe the rest of this thread could be taken up through PM's with Dan rather than blasting a product which is clearly well liked and supported on this forum

19. noseph

noseph New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    MA
    I have processed ~600 DVDs that I own thru VRD and have not had any problems with the resultant files on my S3.

20. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI, decrypting the TiVo file to unencrypted mpeg file does absolutely nothing to affect quality of the video. If you see a difference in playback on your PC it's only because your PC is using different codecs for each. What you are talking about is likely interlacing and several players including the free VideoLAN VLC have tons of different de-interlace filters upon playback that will get rid of those "scan lines".