1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software 9.4 just hit my S3…

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kucharsk, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1 of 392
    kucharsk

kucharsk New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    A handful of new features, including toggling of closed captions directly from the info screen, the ability to view the guide over programming, and the ability to play or delete a whole folder at once.

But do they fix bugs? Of course not.

This is the third or fourth release in a row where the resolution of the channel reported in the info banner when you change channels is actually the resolution of the last channel you were watching.

I guess we'll also never be able to view stations with slightly bad PSIP data - something all my other ATSC receivers can do.

Someday…

2. Jul 15, 2008 #2 of 392
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Ah!

How is that new? Or do you mean it will now pop up over recordings, and not drop to Live TV?

Interesting!

I'm sure they fixed lots of bugs. They just have a policy of not telling us what they are, for reasons they can't adequately explain. :rolleyes:

You'll have to elaborate on that.

3. Jul 15, 2008 #3 of 392
    jy3

jy3 New Member

May 3, 2008
    How about the lock ups?

4. Jul 15, 2008 #4 of 392
    jeffshome

jeffshome Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I hope they fixed the “Suggestion group is empty” when it is not and frame advance being ignored.

5. Jul 15, 2008 #5 of 392
    wdpower

wdpower New Member

May 22, 2005
    West Palm Beach
    The OP said he had an S3, has any TiVo HD's gotten the update yet? I think I'll force a few conections tonight and see if I get it.

6. Jul 15, 2008 #6 of 392
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Hmm, I have an S3

I just checked mine, not on 9.4 yet, but did have a restart pending status.

rebooting it now and checking the software version.

Edit:
    This is definitely a service update, looks to be a big one too. This is taking longer then the last few.

I have been on a screen that says:

"Preparing the service update.
    This may take up to an hour, possibly longer."

For almost a half hour now.

I wonder if their is any chance this update includes the mpeg-4 support for youtube.

7. Jul 15, 2008 #7 of 392
    pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    What is it with this forum? An update is released and the first person to report complains that bugs are not fixed.

Please tell me what bugs you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge right now my TiVo's are working just fine. I had a problem with Amazon Unbox but that got resolved.

Outside of that I have no complaints. I never look at the suggestion area so maybe I'm just not aware of that.

Edit: Just checked my S3. No update but suggestion are there, no problem.

8. Jul 15, 2008 #8 of 392
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    The version number is: 9.4.L6.01-2-648

I'm going to play around with this new release and see if I can find anything else and let you all know how the new features work=)

9. Jul 15, 2008 #9 of 392
    andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Waiting for the Series 2 folks to find this thread and wondering why they don't get these features. :) :)

10. Jul 15, 2008 #10 of 392
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    This S2 owner is praying that they leave his units the heck alone....

11. Jul 15, 2008 #11 of 392
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The "Guide" changes are most welcome.

12. Jul 15, 2008 #12 of 392
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    If you don't get it the first time, there's no point in forcing a connection again for another day or so. It won't make it come any faster.

I tried a forced call this morning; no luck. Also, the priority page is still showing 9.3. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they're now in the "post-beta, pre-wide-release testing" phase, or whatever they call it. Only a few will get it now.

13. Jul 15, 2008 #13 of 392
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Yes, the most definitely are.

The Find by Call Sign is sweet too. I can see where it would be very very useful. If you are hooked up to digital cable and want to find a station you do not watch often and don't know where it is with out looking through the guide or you channel line up. It's quick too. It starts to display matches right away to the right of the text input box. And it will ding and go to the correct station once only one possible match is found. For example, when testing it. I only had to Type WM to get it to go to WMUR.

It also list the channel number location, and the program source such as Antenna. When you hit enter on the highlighted channel, it brings you to that location in the guide.

Also, being able to view the guide while playing back records. It works like a charm.

This release for me seems to be really stable, and any bugs that I did have, such as channels that keep coming back after I unchecked them in channels I receive seem to be gone=) I'm very happy with this release, great job TiVo:up:

14. Jul 15, 2008 #14 of 392
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I just want to report I found something that will cheer you all up!

Under menu there is now and option called:

Remote, CableCARD, & Devices (I don't remember it saying Devices, though it may have)

Under this menu set there is an option for a "Tuning Adapter"

This menu item gives me a generic page that says No Tuning Adapter:

Some cable providers require a Tuning Adapter for the DVR to receive all channels in your subscription package.

For more information on Tuning Adapters and Switched Digital Video please visit http://tivo.com/switched.

For more information on the need for and availability of a Tuning Adappter, please contact your cable provider.

Another thing that is under this section
    Network Remote Control

"The network remote control feature allows your TiVo Digiral Media Recorder to be intergrated with home automation and entertainment control devices on your network. These device include touch panel remotes and other devices that are configured to work with TiVo's network based remote control protocol. This setting will be enabled by your home entertainment or home automation installer."

It is disabled by default

15. Jul 15, 2008 #15 of 392
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Looking forwards to getting these 4 features!
    P.S. Hope the "Freeze" problem has been fixed for THD users.

16. Jul 15, 2008 #16 of 392
    fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    *Browse the Guide Any Time
    Press the GUIDE button to display the program guide over what you're watching: live TV, a previously recorded program, or even a video download.

If TiVo carried the above concept forward and allowed users to select as default a mode of operation which optimizes either watching TV as TiVo was designed and optimized for, totally time shifted, OR watch it in the more casual manner that Cable Co. DVRs are optimized for, live with trick play, how would TiVo's revenue stream be compromised in any way?

Rather than selling that watching TiVo your (its) way is superior, sell TiVo's versatility and reliability no matter how it's used and let users decide! (Perhaps even throw in a simplistic but reassuring Free Space Indicator.)

Hardcore TiVolutionaries could select with one click to use TiVo precisely as they do now while less committed or newby users would, unless opting for TiVo's traditional mode, hear a program's audio continue when searching, setting up future recordings, or utilizing any of TiVo's various other menus.

17. Jul 15, 2008 #17 of 392
    Tazznum1

Tazznum1 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Mine updated and then it went to the grey/black screen about the cable cards. Then it goes to Now Playing screen and is frozen. About 10 minutes later after many attempts to get it to go to live tv, it is freezing and jumping. So I restart it by unplugging it since it was completely frozen on the Now Playing, except nothing was there.

I think it's DEAD. It's a lifetime sub on a Series 3 HD Tivo model that is a little over a year old. I know Tivo well and had a series 1 and 2 before this one. I'm really upset about it and wonder if it was the new service update since it died right after it.

18. Jul 15, 2008 #18 of 392
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Those new functions sound great. Hopefully some bug fixes too...

19. Jul 15, 2008 #19 of 392
    DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I would be happy if they would just fix the Freeze and reboot issue. It make my tivo useless.

20. Jul 15, 2008 #20 of 392
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Just a little FYI I found. If you are using the live guide style and not the grid. Your highlighted program has to be over on the left side of the guide. If you are over on the right side where it lists the next 8 programs it will just go BONK.

It works really nice to speed though the guide though, I love it.