1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOAK: Best way to make digital copies of S1 DirecTivo recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by holee, Jun 18, 2012.

1. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I've managed to find my S1 DirecTivo that I had back around 2002 or so.

There are a couple shows on there that would be nice to have an archived copy of, but I'm not sure what tools would work for that now.

Could I get some advice on the most efficient/easiest way to take the recordings and turn them into an AVI or an MPEG? Preferably one that doesn't involve trying to reactivate the unit.

I don't have DirecTV service anymore (and I don't even know if the unit will boot up), but I figure as long as the hard drives are readable, I have options. Or so I'm assuming.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You misplaced an entire TiVo?

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    tivo to go would require the tivo unit to be functional and subscribed to work. There is no known way to recover the encrypted encodings from the tivo hard drive (which uses a non-standard format as well) with the unit being functional. Even placing the drive in another tivo would not recover the recordings.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just get an old stand alone DVD burner and record the content to DVD in real time. It's only SD content so it should look fine.

5. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Would I have to worry about macrovision encoding if I did that? And I'm assuming you mean a set-top box, and not a PC, correct?

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes a STB burner. I used one back in 2003 with my DirecTV TiVos without any issues. Although the recordings occur in real time so it can take awhile to record a bunch of content.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do satellite TiVo's even do TTG?

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't actually done it yet, but am somewhat interested to do the digging at some point.. You can theoretically install a ftp server on these old Tivos and then copy off the original recordings.. (that will avoid further loss when recording to a DVD recorder for example)

You need a Turbonet or similar card to give it an ethernet connection though.. (I don't know if those work with DirecTivos)

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think some of the Series 1 DirecTiVos were supposed to have that same edge connector the S1 SAs had.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep. I know that the dsr6000 had it. And turbonet works with it when using 3.0 or higher software. I think it was built in at that point. Doing it before then was a different hack.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, but the S1 was easy to hack. It did not even have a chain of trust. Unfortunately, the DirecTiVo employed encryption, which the Series I SA TiVos did not. It was also easy to circumvent, but the caveat was it was / is not possible to decrypt a previously encrypted video. Shutting off encryption for future recordings was easy, but nothing (digitally) could be done about a program recorded prior to disabling encryption.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yes. The Sony SAT-T60 certainly did. I think all the S1s, even the DirecTiVos, did.

13. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Yes you can use a TurboNet card with a DTiVo. The CacheCard is what I have (and makes the unit snappier than S2 units).

I typically download shows via TySuiteJ (to my Mac, then transcode for iPhone use) or TyTool (Windoze program, used to make DVDs).

The recordings on S1 DTiVos are scrambled.

There is a fairly easy way to unscramble things (but then new unscrambled recordings can't be played, but I don't think there will be any new recordings in this case). It is on the unmentionable database of deals site that we can't link to.

So get a TurboNet or CacheCard. Find the driver (SiliconDust no longer mentions either at their site). Pull the drive to install the drivers. Reinstall drive. Telnet in and install the scramble.o patch. Install TyTool or TySuite. Download program.

Here is install: http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140493

unscramble.o: google descramble during extraction

---

Unless you REALLY need the full 480x480 resolution, it would be easier to use a external DVD recorder. I paid $80 for mine years ago. IIRC S1 doesn't support Macrovision.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What is TySuiteJ?

Don't you have to set up ftp on the Tivo? How do you do that?

You say they're "scrambled". Is that essentially the same as being encoded with the MAK on Series 3 and above Tivos?

15. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Does the unit have composite output connectors? The quickest way would be to buy an inexpensive adapter that takes composite video and runs it into your PC via USB for recording purposes. You could burn a DVD from there.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The encryption TiVos use to locally record to their disc is different than the encryption used for TiVo to go, which is a re-coding of the TiVo recording (decrypted from the HDD encrpytion, transcoded to a degree, and encrypted with the MAK code). It goes without saying that DirecTV TiVos never had TTG, so no need for a MAK.