1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO3 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bpostow, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bpostow

bpostow New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I have an intermittant tivo error. every so often, my tivo will fail to unpack the scheduling information. I'm currently using a phone connection because I never did solve the wireless problem in a previous post of mine... So, every night, it connects and downloads the new info, then in disconnects and tries to unpack, decompress, or whatever it is that it does. And about 25% of the way through, it fails with a useless error message of S03. (I'm seriously considering getting a usb keyboard and just looking at the linux side of the box to see if there's a more useful error message in there somewhere...)

Anyway, are there any useful suggestions?

Thanks

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Personally I had no luck getting rid of the message and ended up selling off the unit as non-working. Others swear that sticking in a freshly imaged hard drive solved their problem. Do a search on SO3 to see the latest info.

3. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I had this error and did a TiVo restart. That fixed it for me. If that didn't work I was prepared to do this...
    Problem: While connecting to the TiVo Service, all operations complete except loading data. At some percentage through the process, the following error appears
    "Load Info Error S03 The DVR encountered a problem while loading information."
    This error appears when the TiVo has corrupt data.
    Resolution: TiVo Customer Support calls the following procedure a "Kick Start" and is similar to running a Check Disk on a PC running MS Windows
    1. Uplug the TiVo for 10-15 seconds
    2. Plug in the TiVo and hold the yellow pause button on the remote until the yellow light shows on the front of the TiVo.
    3. Release the pause button and type 57.
    The TiVO will reboot and a green screen will appear stating that the TiVo has encountered an error and may take up to 3 hours to repair it If you do not see this screen, repeat the Kick Start procedure. After the error has been repaired, the TiVo will restart. You will need to download program information again.

4. bpostow

bpostow New Member

Dec 11, 2006

Yes, I called tech support last night, and they walked me through the kickstart. It seems to have worked. We'll see if it stays fixed, as it is intermittant...

5. andygrose

andygrose New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Tanner, AL
    Does this kickstart process erase all your saved programs?

6. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Mar 16, 2005

Well, according to this post it's not supposed to...of course remove the spaces.

http: // forums. tivo.com /pe/action /forums/ displaypost?postID=10192098

7. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I seem to be experiencing that problem on my 540 now. Usually gets to 99% then fails. A few attempts aborted earlier in the download process but most fail at 99% for me.

I'm at 98% right now and will try that procedure if this one fails too. http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10192098

I have had this problem in the past and if restart didn't work even just unplugging it without holding the yellow button/ 57 when the light comes on did. But the last time was so long ago that I had forgotten.

So far the DT has never had this problem.

It's bad that others are having this problem but at least I don't feel alone. I too was ready to dump the unit and maybe get an HD unit sooner than I could really afford to.

8. fluorescein

fluorescein New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    I have a series 2 TIVO that was unplugged for about 8 months because of a broken power supply. Finally replaced it (from weaknees) and it booted up normally.

First thing I did was manually dial-in and it upgraded to 9.1. I restarted the TIVO, and it requested I dial-in for program information. This failed multiple times because of error S03. After reading the forums, I tried: (1) clearing and deleting, then (2) kickstart 57. The 57 kickstart got to the green screen, then started the reboot sequence. But now the system hangs on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more." I waited at this screen for hours before unplugging and trying to boot up again. The system still hangs on "Almost there."

I've read dozens of threads, and learned that hanging on "Almost there" is supposed to be a hardware error. But it was booting up fine the day before, so I'm hoping there's another explanation. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks much!

9. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    There are other troubleshooting/repair codes to apply. See:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=371093&highlight=kickstart+codes and especially http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=372111&highlight=kickstart+codes for information to possibly solve your issue.

10. NiTE

NiTE New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    my tivo has run out of guide data for the above reason. It no longer works because of SO3..every other function of the unit is fine, multi room viewing via crossover cable or wireless N tivo.

I have tried every kickstart drive test, 54, 57. Restarts.

If there is some data corruption will clearing all my guide data and to do list fix the problem?

if everything above has failed whats left?

If I clone to new drives, will my corrupt data come with me and my copied saved shows?

Im ready to remove the two drives on a stock 648 series 3, one 250 internal one external hitachi. to test them with Drive Genius.

thanks.

11. Spenner

Spenner Member

Mar 28, 2006
    I got the S03 error on my Tivo HD this week, and it seems to be fixed now after doing kickstarts 57 and 58 (with no loss of my 400GB of already-recorded shows).

Before doing the kickstarts, I tried other's suggestions of clearing the guide & program data, but it still got the S03 when it tried to update. I viewed the kickstart as a last-ditch effort, because I was afraid that if it didn't work the Tivo might get stuck in a reboot loop and my programs would be lost. Thankfully it didn't.

So before the kickstart, I went as far as to buy a new drive, and used WinMFS's mfscopy to clone my existing drive to the new one. The new drive still got the S03 error, so that meant that it was the data itself that was corrupt, not the drive.

At that point my only options left were try the kickstarts 57 & 58, which worked. If that didn't work I was prepared to re-image my drive from scratch and lose my recordings.

Hope this helps.

12. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    /subscribes ... having this problem too.

13. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine

Do you know anything more about the kickstart 58? TiVo support says it doesn't exist, the only kickstarts are 54 and 57.

14. Spenner

Spenner Member

Mar 28, 2006
    (these are for a series 3/HD, not sure about series 2):
    Kickstart code 62 - initialize E-SATA drive
    Kickstart code 51 - software upgrade
    Kickstart code 52 - emergency reinstall
    Kickstart code 53 - BER testing
    Kickstart code 54 - HDD test
    Kickstart code 55 - Tuner/AFT test
    Kickstart code 56 - software install
    Kickstart code 57 - force MFS check
    Kickstart code 58 - perform MFS cleanup

Instructions: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=397882&highlight=kickstart

15. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    See my post to your other post. :)

16. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    FWIW KS56 and KS62 no longer work.

17. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    :up: ty Spenner, and Rich :)

18. sjilly

sjilly New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I keep trying to do the kickstart but for whatever reason, I cannot get it to initiate. I tried both unplugging the unit and going through the menu to restart. I hold the pause button down but I NEVER get the amber light. It only eventually gives me the green power light.... anyone else experience this?

19. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Welcome to the forum. What model TiVo do you have? What are the symptoms that are causing you to try and run the Kickstarts?

20. sjilly

sjilly New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a sony svr3000 series 2. I get the SO3 error - it won't load new programming. I had this happen once before and I got a new harddrive from weaknees and it's been great for well over a year. Now is happening again.