1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance "Top 10" 8/22/2012 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Aug 22, 2012.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Haven't watched the show yet -- just wanted to get the thread started.

Top 10 and the All-Stars this week.

Have fun discussing until I get back.

2. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I'm just not enjoying this season as much as seasons past. Not sure what the problem is.

3. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Same here.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think it's cos the contestants are not that great.

I did enjoy Allison's performance probably the most of everything I've seen this year - which is shocking considering I think Tyce is a hack.

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    OOPS - Cat mentioned one of the All-Stars' last names. Can't have that!

(Okay, she gets a pass this time, as it was Alex Wong. However, even in the graphics, the All-Stars are listed only by first name and season number.)

6. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    When it came time to vote, I texted in a vote for Alex Wong. I figured it was worth a shot :)

7. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I got interrupted in the middle of the broadcast, and I haven't finished watching.

I think part of the problem with the show in general is that when the show was fresh, the choreographers were all new to me, so all the work seemed fresh. But now that I've watched a lot of them, I've seen them. So it's the same-old-same-old. YMMV.

8. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    My wife and I have largely lost interest too. It's never approached the excitement we had the first season we watched (season 2), which ended with the thrilling Benjy vs. Travis duel.

The funny thing is that the judging on this show is so much better than that on "American Idol" or "The X-Factor" or "The Voice." We watched a bit of last night's episode, mostly because of Alex Wong's return, and during the critique of Cole's routine, I found myself thinking, wow, all of the comments are clear enough that I could understand what they meant, and they sounded like they would be useful to the contestant.

9. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Season two was great, no doubt, but there were also lots of great moments in seasons 1, 3, 4, and 5.

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    So how come with Cyrus it is not about pointing your feet and with Dareian it was about nothing but that?
    Why are they butt kissing Cyrus so much?
    I get that he's a charismatic guy but sheesh, enough already.

I love Eliana and I love Chehon.
    And I was over the moon to see Jakob and Alex back.
    Jakob absolutely thrills me.

11. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Actually, several of the all-stars were mentioned by last name! :eek:

It's hard to get enthusiastic when my two favorite girls both got sent packing in the same week (Amelia and Janelle)!

12. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    All-stars and Mia Michaels tributes are bad ideas because it reminds me how much better contestants were in past seasons.

13. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I am so sick of Cyrus. I get that they want an untrained dancer, but couldn't they have found a better one? Think about some of the street dancers we've had in the past? I'm sure he's a great guy. He seems nice and sincere and an all-around great guy, but I'm tired of the choreographers going so easy on him and him getting passes over and over again.

Same, except that I don't remember Jakob. He must have been from the season we skipped (the one with Kathryn).

Eliana is my #1 now.

14. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Let's just make this into a template because somebody is bound to say this about some untrained dancer in every season. :p

In an earlier season, you would have heard me bitching about Ivan exactly the same way.

Oh, and speaking of dancers that the judges gush over? Kathryn. I just don't see it.

You know who I would have brought back to do that Bollywood number with Will? Kayla! She would have been a better match in height (sucky for lifts, but better matching for the side-by-side moves), and the Bollywood group number was, hands down, my favorite dance of hers in the entire season (even more than Mia's two-girl routine in the finale, which I also loved).

Put Kayla and Kathryn on the stage together in a Bollywood number, and I guarantee you, no one will know that Kathryn is even on the stage.

Yeah, Season 5 rocked.

15. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, true, but now we've seen some fantastic untrained dancers over the years, and by comparison Cyrus is really falling short.

Do you agree the choreographers are making it easy for him? I don't remember thinking that in earlier seasons, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

16. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just watched this. Nigel came right out and said Eliana was his favorite girl, but I have to say my favorite performance of the evening was the opening disco number between Tiffany and all star Brandon. Brandon might be my favorite male disco dancer in the history of the show, so it would take a lot to keep up with him, and in my mind Tiffany totally did. This actually may actually be the first performance of the season that I can't bring myself to delete from my TiVo.

17. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    That's a ymmv to be sure :D Brandon is one of my least favorite contestants ever, disco is absolutely my least favorite genre, and Doriana Sanchez is definitely my least favorite choreographer.
    All that spinning and lifting and flinging is going to kill someone someday- to me that is not dancing.

18. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Brandon is one of my all time FAVORITE contestants

but I will agree with you that Doriana's disco numbers suck. They are self indulgent and you are right - someone is going to get hurt one of these days. In fact I thought I saw Brandon begin to loose his balance on one of those lifts the other night and I thought they might be goin down.

19. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not all Dorians's numbers are great, but I loved that one, as apparently the judges did too. But as I said, they didn't actually rate it best number of the night, like I personally would have.

20. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I'd be glad to never see another piece choreographed by Doriana. This week's piece was chaos, not choreography.