1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by voripteth, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1 of 113
    voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    This thread is for episode discussion of Season 10.

Any bets that Fik-shun is this year's Cyrus? :up:

2. Jun 12, 2013 #2 of 113
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    They seem pretty happy with him so far.

I like Cyrus's ex.

3. Jun 12, 2013 #3 of 113
    gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I actually went to half a day's taping of the Detroit auditions earlier this year. (Oddly, when they aired the Detroit auditions, I'm absolutely positive that what they said was day 1 was actually day 2, and what I saw on the real day 1 ended up airing as day 2). Unfortunately, I did the morning session, and wasn't able to make it back for the afternoon session, so most of what I saw wasn't actually on the air (although there was a little, such as the grandmother doing gangnum style (or however that's spelled)). Was pretty neat to see the process behind what was going on. In the morning, they start with all the dancers for the day going up in groups of 10, and one by one doing a little bit of their stuff (to a mind-numbing repeat of that Chris Brown song that's made it's appearance a few times during what's aired). After that, they got no feedback, but just a go/no-go from the judges. I'd say on average about 3 of every 10 people got through to do their solos. (I lost track of how many groups of 10 they did, but I'd guess around 15 or so).

They did a handful of solo's before breaking for lunch, so I did get to see a few. Nobody in that group that I saw immediately went to vegas, but there were a couple to choreography. I'm pretty sure a couple of the people I did see during the large groups did ultimately make it to Vegas, because there's been some faces that I vaguely recognize (I've been pondering whether they guy from Detroit that had to dance twice for his life was one of those). Of course, it's been hard to tell, because it was way back in February that they did the auditions, so my memory is a bit on the vague side.

One thing I was impressed with was that for those that were doing the solos, they did actually get a fair amount of feedback from the judges, with advice on what they need to do to get better. Not all of that makes the tv show, they seem to talk longer to each person than what you see.

Fik-shun to me actually seems like he can do some of the dances outside of his style. At least, he hasn't stood out as being completely terrible in the other styles. Cyrus was always a little weak, and really got further than he probably should have.

4. Jun 13, 2013 #4 of 113
    Tracy

Tracy Truly TCF Club

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    Interesting to hear a bit about how it works. The groups of ten went in front of the actual judges that we see or was it other producer/judges?

5. Jun 13, 2013 #5 of 113
    gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    The regular judges. They'd confer for a minute or two after the group had finished, and then Nigel would announce who was to stick around and who was done. It was interesting, because every now and then you'd see them put through someone that was truly pretty bad, just so they'd have some bad solos too. But there were a number of people that I was surprised one way or the other when they made their selections.

Cat was also in and out, either doing interviews with dancers, or just sitting about 15 feet away from me taking notes on people.

6. Jun 13, 2013 #6 of 113
    zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    One thing I wondered is how much they really slept in those supposed grueling practice sessions? Are they really up all night or making it look worse than it is.

Frankly I consider it dangerous from the producers point of view to push them to the brink when the dancers have to count on each other.

7. Jun 13, 2013 #7 of 113
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    When Sonya Tayeh told the dancers they had to stay up all night and practice, I wanted to reach though the TV and smack her.

I already thought it was problematic to have one sleepless night during Vegas week before the group dance; having two nights is idiotic.

8. Jun 14, 2013 #8 of 113
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Swooon!!! :eek:

Irresponsible... purely for manufactured drama. :mad: Just let the dancers dance and PLEASE stop cutting away from the dancers to show judges reactions. :(

The animation dance-off... I enjoyed it a lot but it was so obviously a set-up. Why be "tricky" like that? The show doesn't need it.

9. Jun 14, 2013 #9 of 113
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The cut aways to judges should be done as an insert. I like to see their reactions but nit at the expense of seeing the performances.

10. Jun 14, 2013 #10 of 113
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Such an obvious solution, yet they won't do it.

I also wasn't thrilled about seeing the super-busy sets during Vegas week. Auditions and Vegas Week are the only chance I get to actually see the dancers without over-produced lighting crap. I don't need the giant lit parentheses. Give it a rest, people. Take it back to the early days, when it was more about the dancing.

11. Jun 14, 2013 #11 of 113
    zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    One reason that would not surprise me at all is that the judges reaction shots are totally unrelated. They could be for a different dancer or for a different part of the dance. They just feel like you have to have a judges smiling/teary face for a certain beat of the music.
    Having an insert showing the judges face would totally show they have been gaming it. I know most other reality shows have reaction shots that are totally bogus.

12. Jun 14, 2013 #12 of 113
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Couldn't bogus reaction shots be edited into a PNP box just as easily as real ones?

13. Jun 14, 2013 #13 of 113
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Individual reactions could be, but an insert that kept popping up and then disappearing would be pretty annoying too. So if (as zalusky supposes) the reactions are unrelated, it would be impossible to have a continuously displayed inset of the judges that related to the dance.

And really... who cares about the reactions anyway? I can wait until the dance is over to get a summary. :)

14. Jun 14, 2013 #14 of 113
    zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Took the words out of my mouth. Besides I think we would get tired of seeing them constantly in an inset. I think they do it because they think we want to somehow see others share the joy in pseudo real time.

15. Jun 14, 2013 #15 of 113
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    There are a few times -- a FEW -- that seeing the judges' reactions to a dance have made the show a lot more fun.

I've posted before, so apologies in advance for sounding like a broken record, but the reaction shots for the judges' panel, in the Vegas week round during Iveta and Russell's cha-cha, that was priceless.

You had Nigel pointing them out to the other judges. You had Mia Michael's making a "touchdown" gesture. Tyce being absolutely gob-smacked. That was worth seeing. ("Cue music" at 1:30ish).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen710_russell-ferguson-iveta-lukosiute-sy_creation#.UbtVVtiP3nk

Even so, how much better would it have been, if we had been able to see the judges' POV and watch the dancing the whole time?

If it isn't a special case like that, then I don't need to see the judges' reactions. I'd rather pass.

16. Jun 14, 2013 #16 of 113
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    The camera work on this show makes me want to strangle the producer.

17. Jun 14, 2013 #17 of 113
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    As I said, I like the reaction shots. For a few reasons. They help catch what is good and what is bad for the viewer. They connect more. You know what is different about being at a live performance versus watching one on TV? The audience interaction. Take, for example, the funny or over the top reactions when a dancer does something funny or spectacular. The reaction of the judges adds to the feeling of being there. The Boston Marathon dance...the emotion was added to because it was shared with the dancers AND the judges. It is called empathy.

Oh, and they may be able to game the auditions and Vegas, but the audience voting shows are live, no?

18. Jun 14, 2013 #18 of 113
    gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I'm not sure the no-sleep nights are really to manufacture drama, but it's definitely to insert stress into the situation. Let's face it, part of being a dancer is going to be working on tight deadlines, under stressful situations. This gives them a chance to see how they're going to respond under that type of situation.

And the reality is, the dancers have complete control over how long they work. If they decide they've got it, they can quite and go to sleep whenever they want. Of course, they better have their routine down right if they do cut out early, because I'm willing to bet the judges get a report on who was working and for how long.

19. Jun 15, 2013 #19 of 113
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    The lighting design on the main show makes me want to strangle people, too.

20. Jun 17, 2013 #20 of 113
    Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    and the set design...

it's never been the same since they got rid of the original stairway sets but

why put banal blow up photos of dancers BEHIND the actual people dancing? :eek: