1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance S906 6/27/12 meet the top 20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Jun 27, 2012.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    No results show this year. Two winners.

Mixing it up this year.

Crappy PQ -- I just tweaked my antenna and I'm still seeing pixelation. But what do you know? Picture is perfect during the commercials.

BiH FOX.

Edited to add: I forgot to put a spoilers / no spoilers reference in the title, but there aren't any competition performances in this show. This is the "get to know them" show and it's all lovey-dovey tonight.

2. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Was fine for me picture quality wise. Anyways so if there is no results show it will all be decided by the judges? or will they somehow do live voting? I'm confused. Personally having the mostly idiot voters removed couldn't be a bad thing right?

3. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    One show a week will include the results from live voting with a dash of judges Nigel's decision- how they will work it in remains to be seen.

I found myself wishing it was So You Think You Can Dance Ballet Edition- loved seeing those three.

4. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    There was no competition last night, just results and then they all did dancing? I need to find a list of the top 20. I'm not sure I need to watch it unless someone did something incredible already.

5. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I loved the three ballet dancers - I couldn't take my eyes off the girl. I wonder how long Cyrus will last. He's no Twitch, that's for sure, and they have to real hip-hop dancers this year. I still really like martial arts guy (whose name I have already forgotten since the last thread). I'm looking forward to see what happens with all these dancers when the choreographers get their hands on them.

6. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    [​IMG]

Boys:
    Cole Horibe (martial arts fusion), Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer (animated popping), Daniel Baker (ballet), George Lawrence II (contemporary), Will Thomas (contemporary), Dareian Kujawa (contemporary), Brandon Mitchell (stepping), Matthew Kazmierczak (contemporary), Nick Bloxsom-Carter (ballroom), and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp (ballet).

Girls:
    Eliana Girard (contemporary ballet), Amelia Lowe (contemporary), Janelle Issis (bellydance), Witney Carson (ballroom), Amber Jackson (contemporary), Lindsay Arnold (ballroom), Alexa Anderson (contemporary), Janaya French (lyrical contemporary), Tiffany Maher (jazz), and Audrey Case (jazz).

7. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Yes. There would not have been enough time to announce the 20 finalists and then do 10 couples routines. Besides, there's no episode next week (I assume they figure that too many people will be out watching fireworks to be home to watch and then vote).

Speaking of which, I was slightly surprised they admitted this year that the "green mile" didn't take place in Vegas at the end of Vegas week, but was in Hollywood after a few weeks' break. I was also a little surprised that both of the two ballroom roommates made it; I was expecting them to be the last two remaining for the final female spot.

(Oh, and for those of you new to SYTYCD, the reason Cat introduces the judges as "Here are your..." and then the audience yells out "Judges!" is, in earlier seasons, Cat was notorious for pronouncing the word "jidges" (or, on occasion, "jerdges").)

Here's what we know so far, based on what Nigel has said:

The top 20 perform on 7/11, and viewers can vote at the end of the show.

The top 20 perform again on 7/18; after each dance, Nigel will inform each couple whether or not they were in the bottom three of the voting from the previous week. The decision on who to cut will be based in part on how well the bottom three couples did on the second show; this is intended to replace the "dance for your life" solos (although they can ask one or more dancers to do solos anyway).

Here's the schedule, from various sources:
    7/11 - Top 20
    7/18 - Top 20 perform; one couple cut
    7/25 - Top 18 perform; one couple cut
    8/1 - pre-empted (Fox does not want to air new episodes of its reality shows against the Olympics)
    8/8 - pre-empted
    8/15 - Top 16 perform; one couple cut
    8/22 - Top 14 perform; one couple cut
    8/29 - Top 12 perform; one couple cut
    9/5 - Top 10 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
    Because The X Factor begins on 9/12, the last two episodes are on Tuesdays:
    9/11 - Top 8 perform with All-Stars; two dancers cut
    9/18 - Winners announced

What I want to know is,
    (a) are they going to eliminate couples, or can they eliminate one man and one woman from different couples if they want;
    (b) if they do break up couples, then how do they handle the couple formed by the two "singles"? Are they automatically in next week's bottom three? Can people vote for them based on how well they performed with their now-eliminated partners? Or, if the performance episodes are pre-recorded, will they have them do a routine at the end of the show?

8. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Awesome thank you!!!
    I'll have to go back and figure out who each of them are now as that picture has them all done up and I only recognize a few of the ones I liked throughout the auditions.

Thanks! You guys are saving me all kinds of time searching. :)

9. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Don't you have a TiVo? Just FF through all the selection stuff and watch the performances. Of course, the problem with doing THAT is that you miss all the zingers. ("At least we know they're real!" OMG!)

My faves, in order:

• the ballet performance
    • the baseball number with Cole, Brandon, and Cyrus
    • top 10 guys
    • top "20" number with Mia

I liked the choreography of the ballroom number, but I didn't think Nick was as strong as the two girls.

My beef about this Top 20? They put through too many people that I already like. It is going to suck watching them go early.

By the end of the selection stuff, I found myself wishing they had not put Cyrus and Amelia through. I wish they had thrown them back into the pool to grow up one more year.

The surprise: I liked Will in the off-stage bit.

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    As always the girls look better than the boys.

Is there something different with the stage this year? Did adding those pieces on the side make it smaller? This is a good thing because most dancers were getting lost on that huge stage.

Oh and I know Mia Michaels is weird but what was with that wig?

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    It's recorded and waiting but I was exhausted last night so I went to bed early. And I was hoping I could just skip or skim through later when I get time. BUT I kinda wanted to know the results now and didn't want to risk skipping over any of the actual competition. :)

12. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    No results for this show -- this is the "meet and greet" where they reveal the Top 20 and show them off in performances where the similar-styled dancers are grouped together.

I had forgotten about the new new set. Yes, they've introduced some horizontals into the set, sort of an homage to all the levels in the old set. I still like the old set better. :p

13. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Hmmm very interesting way to do things. Makes sense. No results show filler either!

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yes the original stage with the stairs was the best. At least with this stage now they have figured out how to use the horizontals to make it smaller for small groups and can move them for large groups. Much better than watching a solo or couple try to fill it.

15. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I'd also like to add this. No matter how cute Zooey Deschanel is, she is an awful judge!

16. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    The original stage with the stairs had a "meet in the warehouse and have a dance-off" vibe. That feel is totally gone now.

I understand that it would have been a pain to re-create that on tour, and that once you had a set design for touring, and another set for the main show, now you have two set designs to cope with, which is a pain. But I miss the old set.

And hey, if you want to have an All-Star Game tie in, and a guest judge on the same show, why not have a baseball player on the panel? Call up any number of former Oakland As players who have performed in the Nutcracker Ballet, that way you can have a baseball player who has actual experience performing on stage. :D

Either plug the All-Star Game OR plug Zoey's show. Doing both in the same show is too much off-topic FOXitude.

17. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    +1 on that. Zooey was probably one of the worst judges I have ever seen and I think she knew she was there purely for promotional reasons and I also think she knew she as a fail!

I sure hope Nigel tones down the cross promoting and focuses on quality.
    I also felt for a while like Bruno was doing a bloviating ventriloquist act with the judges. I am wondering if Nigel feels like this is his last shot.

18. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I felt kinda bad for Zooey. It was like she was under contract to be there and was doing her best to contribute but it was almost like the suits didn't care and just wanted her out there. At least it happened on this show and not one where actual judging was needed.

Oh and no one has mentioned Desmond Richardson and is partner are here all season long to choreograph!?! Awesome.

19. tem

tem Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    they need to get rid of Sonya Tayeh all her routines look/feel exactly the same.

Bring back Wade Robson !

20. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Indeed, I'm pretty sure I could identify one of her routines without them saying whose it was.