1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So why can't the United States have Android Tivo Stream??

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by eboydog, Mar 23, 2014.

1. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You can start with item #1, other countries don't have to deal with our CableCO monopolies and the CableLabs certification for CableCARDs driven by those same CableCO's. The cable companies and their monopolies are one of the worst things to come about for media consumers in the US.

3. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Where on that document does it state that you can watch any show on an android device?

All it says is that you can manage TV. Which is what you can do today with the android app.

No conspiracy here.

4. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Right here; http://www.virginmedia.com/apps/android/tvanywhere/devices/

Also if you look at the screen shots of the Android apps it shows live TV....

5. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Did you bother to read the link that you posted?

Also, on the device page you can see the following listed as requirements for the app:

How exactly is it streaming if it does not require a stream device?

I think people are reading this wrong or reading too much into this.

6. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
  7. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Ok. granted the Virgin Media method may not be using the actual Stream hardware but in the same account it references the same functionality of Stream in that you can watch live TV. The exception is that you can't watch content recorded on your Tivo.

With the Swedish Tivo app appears to take such further, there might be some type of function to watch recorded content however the Google translation is a little off so I can't tell how accurate such is.

In all mannerism esp since there is the hardware Stream product available, the Android viewing capability is there with regards to viewing Tivo video content on a Android device.

Yes, both products do use IP streaming based off the providers internet service instead of from the hardware Stream product.

8. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    So, you're saying, it's not at all like the iOS Stream app, and actually has nothing to do with what your intial post suggested?

Interesting, interesting.

Mods, you can go ahead and lock this thread now.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In Europe most HD channels are broadcast in H.264 so they probably don't need the Stream hardware over there to make it work. They also don't have to deal with CableLabs, CableCARD regulations and DRM.

10. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Why the attitude? This is only a simple conversation, what do you have to contribute to the encouragement for Tivo to produce a solution comparative to that which Apple IOS device have?

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    This is the answer in a nutshell.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    But is the audio AAC or AC3? Seems like a lot of portable devices don't handle AC3 audio (probably to avoid the licensing fees).

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They actually use 6ch AAC for most stuff. But there are some channels that use AC3.

14. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    So here's how this works... you make a "SENSATIONAL CLICK BAIT THREAD TITLE OMG!" and then it turns out to be exactly what we thought it was, and then I tease you for it. That's the progression. It's pretty standard. Don't take it so hard. Everyone messes up sometimes, and gets teased for it.

15. truman861

truman861 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Tampa FL
    It is coming very soon to US. I have a friend who is beta testing it.

16. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I sure hope so.

Tivo has been saying this for a while and still nothing.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The cable show is on April 29th. This is where TiVo first showed off the Stream two years ago, maybe it'll be where they finally release Android streaming?

18. chart

chart Member

Sep 4, 2001
    new york
    Anything yet??? Want to stream to my android phone!

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    At this rate, maybe April 29th 2015.

At this point I'll have to see it to believe it. No matter when they say it's coming.