1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I have 2 TiVo Premieres...

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by plazman30, Mar 6, 2013.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I am paying $12.95 a month for the first TiVo and $9.95 a month for the second one.

I am wondering whether I could get a cost savings by going with a Premiere 4 and a Tivo Mini on the other TV, or whether I should leave well enough alone.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you had lifetime on them it would make more sense. Since you would be able to cover most of the cost of a lifetime P4 and a lifetime Mini with the sales of two lifetime Premieres. But with only monthly service on the boxes you wouldn't actually save money for a while. Not sure what the break even point is though, but you would save money in the long term.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It might save you some money. But it depends on what kind of bundle deals they have and how much you're paying for your CableCARD and any outlet fees for the second TiVo.

Without a bundle deal the hardware is going to cost about $350. Your current TiVos wont be worth much without lifetime so they'll likely only get you about $100 total for both. The Premiere 4/Mini combo would save you $4/mo on TiVo service, but unless you're paying a lot for the CableCARD and outlet fees it'll take a while to break even on the hardware costs.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I wouldn't recommend it personally given your situation. Plus the XL4 is pretty sluggish, much more so than 2 tuner units since series 4 units in general don't have enough horsepower to run the HDUI and especially Flash apps properly. Sometimes I regret trading a 2 tuner Premiere for an Elite, but my plan now is to buy a Mini and use it as front end to the Elite which be become a headless unit which should take care of the speed issue. I'm already doing that pretty much already using my 2 tuner unit as the main one and just MRS'ing shows from the Elite. I'd say at this point wait until series 5 comes out with better horsepower and by then the Mini should be cheaper as well.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    One of my best decisions was selling four lifetime Premieres to cover the cost of my two lifetime Elites. I have been pleased with the ELites. Of course the interface can always be faster but I use less than half the electricity as before, save $8 a month on cable cards, and shows are much easier to manage.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The management alone mig be worth it. Having all your SPs on one TiVo makes it so much easier to deal with.

7. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm paying $5.00/month for the second cable card, so it might be worth it. I am concerned that the TiVo 4 is slower than the Premiere. Perhaps I should call TiVo and see what they can do for me price-wise.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wait until the Mini is released. They'll probably have some sort of bundle deal.