1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how is Netflix on the TiVo Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pcguru83, Apr 27, 2010.

1. pcguru83

pcguru83 RIP Misty

Jan 18, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got a brand new TiVo Premiere on it's way to me that should arrive tomorrow. We're coming from a DirecTiVo and are very much looking forward to the Netflix streaming component of the TiVo Premiere.

What can we expect in terms of overall experience and performance? In looking over some past threads, seems the Netflix functionality was met with rather mixed reviews on the TiVo HD and Series 3. Have things improved any?

I seriously considered just getting a TiVo HD refurb for $199 and then buying the Sonly Bluray player with Netflix functionality that was on sale at Best Buy the last few days. Unfortunately, I missed out on that deal, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Premiere. Here's hoping I don't regret going with the Premiere.

How's the interface? Is the HD of decent quality? Having never streamed HD before, how does it compare to something like Bluray? How hard is it to find HD content on Netflix?

2. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    i think the Netflix on the S4 is just fine, I liked the Roku better, but being able to search for things with the S4 certainly makes up for it. and the only time I really dislike watching Netflix on my TPXL is when I am watching a season, and it does not automatically remember what show i am on like the Roku would.

3. macgyver

macgyver Clowns are after me!

Dec 7, 2001
    Cupertino, CA
    It's definitely better than the Sony. Things start playing faster, and there are thumbnails when fast-forwarding/rewinding. The Sony doesn't have thumbnails, which makes fast-forwarding/rewinding maddening.

4. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I hope this can and will be available in a future update. I'm coming from watching NetFlix on an xBox 360, which is very nice and has the "percentage watched" feature.

With that said, Netflix integration on the Premiere is pretty good, albeit bare-bones.

5. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Roku has a bar that shows how much of a show you have watched

6. Monty2_2001

Monty2_2001 New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    It works well for me. My S3 never played instant watch in HD. Premiere sure does. Glad I don't have to switch over to the PS3 or 360 anymore.

7. pcguru83

pcguru83 RIP Misty

Jan 18, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    How is the quality of the HD content?

8. Monty2_2001

Monty2_2001 New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Seemed roughly the same as it was on the 360. To me, it's sort of like a good DVD, but well below Blu-ray for sure. Closer to DVD than Blu-ray.

9. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    My wife is home recovering from surgery, and so has made very extensive use of Netflix on my new Tivo Premiere this past week.

Overall, we're both quite pleased with it. On Sunday afternoon, things quit working for a while, and I got one Tivo reboot during this time (I've read that their error handling is not real robust). Other than that, it has worked very well, and picture quality is excellent. I also just got my Fios internet upgraded to 25 Mbps, which certainly can't hurt. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, so I can't compare to that, but PQ has generally been as good as anything I've watched on DVD.

10. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    +1...^^^ accurate description.

11. baimo

baimo New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    NJ
    I know a lot of you probably have a 1080p TV. But mine is a little older showing 1080i/720P max resolution (Older pioneer elite). The older dvd's were 480P and the blu ray is 1080P. BluRays still look better on my tv than regular DVD even though I only get 720P.
    Maybe this is subjective but Do you think Netflix is equal up to the older HD standard of 720p/1090I? I was thinking of subscribing.

12. almighty

almighty Lost in the sticks..

Jun 17, 2001
    White...
    How about Amazon HD Videos on demand? Arent those encoded at a higher bitrate than Netflix, and 1080/24p? Is it a noticeable difference from Netflix HD material (720P encoded)?

13. Monty2_2001

Monty2_2001 New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Mine's 1080p DLP. On yours, it might look decent. A big problem is content too, there's just not that much on netflix HD really. TV stuff yes, but not many movies it seems. And usually I'd rather just rent the Blu-ray's of those. But honestly, I think the 3 blurays I get at a time + the streaming is a good value.

edit: The difference between Bluray and streaming on audio is massive. I'm not sure what they use on streaming, but if you can use lossless bluray it'll be no contest. Also, 24fps TV's make a bigger difference as well. Still, for the price you get 720p-ish streaming and the discs, a good deal.

14. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    i was talking to tivo.com customer support about my TiVo Desktop Plus issue, and I asked if they had any word about updating the Netflix app and he just said, "no"

15. rattlebone

rattlebone New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I had some breakup in the movies with video set to only 1080i. Then I enabled all the video modes on the Tivo Premiere (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p).

I think that may allow Netflix to adjust the video output as the network throughput varies.

Netflix video quality if very good with all video modes enabled. No complaints here on video quality with a 12 Mb/sec DSL connection.

16. RichB

RichB Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Massachusetts
    The Premiere Netflix quality appears to be the same as the HD.

- Rich

17. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Since we are now receiing Off-The-Air only, we are definitely searching for a bit more content, and Netflix fills the bills nicely.

The quality is fine on our ancient 32" CRT TV - about the same as the Dish Network we used to have.

A couple drawbacks we have noticed. Some may be related to our DSL, not sure... we have 1.5 MBps service.

1. Scrolling through queue of titles is quite slow. It takes 5+ seconds for the list to display on the screen when you page down or up (channel down/up).

2. The Tivo is very slow to respond to commands such as pause, FF, RW. Usually 3+ seconds before the command is recognized.

3. We have not found any way to adjust the aspect ratio of incoming video. This seems really odd to us. Everything we get on Netflix is 4:3 pan and scan. We do have a 4:3 TV, but we sure would prefer to watch movies in letterbox! Maybe this is a setting in Netflix? We'll look. Though Tivo allows us to choose letterbox for widescreen material from the antenna, it denies us any change for Netflix.

Other than those minor issues, no complaint for free viewing!

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It can't be both. Either the max resolution is 1080i (which is the same as 1080p) = 1920x1080 or it is 720P = 1280x720.

Either way it won't matter when watching Netflix streaming.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I haven't seen it on the Premiere, but my GUESS would be that it WOULD be the same quality. I don't think Netflix broadcasts any better than what the HD could/can display.

The bigger question in my mind is the quality of the INTERFACE. I just go the Nintendo Wii Netflix disc last week and tried it.... WOW. The interface is wonderful! It makes the TiVo HD's look like crap. It is intuitive, fast, adjusts the screen properly to the aspect ratio, and lets me browse and add stuff on the fly (and other stuff).

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Unfortunately, the TiVo's "stupid" Netflix interface does not allow you to change the aspect ratio... AT ALL. It just uses whatever was LAST used when watching SD video. So exit Netflix, go watch something recorded in SD, then you can adjust your ratio, the restart Netflix. (Yes, I learned that the hard way).

Of course, this will *NOT* fix the "problem" if Netflix really did encode/broadcast at 4x3... then you are stuck. I have seen a mixture of 4x3, 16:9, and panarama from Netflix, so I know they do all three.