1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Brighthouse just told me my TA only support 2 streams

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by monkeydust, Aug 23, 2013.

1. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I was posting in this and that thread about my problems and they called me back saying that the TA's they have (don't have model atm as I'm at work) only support 2 streams (hardware/software limitation). And basically don't hold my breath on them upgrading the hardware anytime soon. So, that means it can only support two SDV channels at once (this would explain what I was mentioning in the threads above).

So, that leaves me with some *not great* choices. Try to buy my on TA that supports 6 streams and see if they will support it. Try disabling 4 of my tuners so my SDV channels will come in properly all the time. Wait for Brighthouse to upgrade their hardware and live with what I have atm.

2. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
  3. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Does anyone know what the limitation is on the Motorola TAs on Charter's network?

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Back when I bought my Elite I was having trouble getting all 4 tuners working. In one of my tests I connected 2 TAs to the TiVo. It actually seemed to work. I didn't test it extensively but it seemed to function. I wonder if using multiple TAs would work for you?

5. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    If you have one already and can go look into the code modules screen at the platform version, it should be at least 01.37 to handle 6 tuners.

EDIT: I meant to say that for Goober96 on the Motorola T/A

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe they are required to support 4 streams at this point. This was part of the FCC new CableCARD rules.

Might be worth filing a complaint to the FCC. FCC.Gov/Complaints

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have one connected to an Elite so it can do at least 4.

8. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I've had one of these connected to my Elite for a while but there were many times that certain stations would not come in. This would explain that.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. If you have the Cisco STA1520 like I do (Brighthouse North Pinellas in Florida) it has supported 6 streams since May 2011 with firmware STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402. The current version on my TA is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601. There's some good info in this thread.

That being said, I don't know if I've ever tried tuning to 4 SDV channels at the same time (I don't watch many of the channels that are SDV here).

10. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Thanks, windracer. The cisco unit does look like mine (just not positive on the model number atm). I'll check the firmware version in the tivo settings when I get home to compare.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  12. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Where is that screen? I have an Elite now and have never had an issue (not sure if I've ever tuned 4 SDV channels simultaneously though). About to buy a Pro so want to be sure I'll be okay.

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    OK I use the SD menus but I think you can get there the same way. I'm on an XL4 also.

Go to settings/account&system information/tuning adapter/tuning adapter diagnostics and then it will go to like that weird grey screen like the cable card one, and hit the down arrow to code modules, and then select, and you should see it listed there.

14. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks! It reads 01.37 so I should be good to go.

15. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yep that one will do 6 tuners :D

16. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  17. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Well, he was wrong. I do have the latest firmware which has supported 6 streams for a couple of years. And, right now i can't reproduce the issue (could last night and this morning). So, we'll see how it goes and if it comes back.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  19. BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    This is not correct and I apologize for the confusion. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me directly at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com.

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Charter uses the same firmware everywhere I believe. And the Motorola tuning adapters got 6 tuner support several years ago. It is really said if a cable company is running firmware old enough to not support 6 tuners. It makes you wonder how many bugs have been fixed since then as well that aren't available to customers.