1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Are Protected Channels a No-GO?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Scarpad, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Scarpad

Scarpad Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Western Ma
    I have 2 Premieres with Comcast Cablecard's in them. I was trying to archive some episodes of Rawhide of Encore's Western Channel, but the content is protected. Is there any software which can get arount this? I've tried Itivo and KTTG on my mac, and no Go. I'm amazed what channels are protected and which are not, channels I would think would be are'nt and visa versa.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    In my Comcast franchise, I cannot transfer Encore content. Most "premium" channels from Comcast are not able to be transferred. Best you can do is stream between your units. If you search, you'll find many threads on this. Some are here, some are in the Premiere forum.

3. mreaves53

mreaves53 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I also have Comcast and most all of the premium channels are protected. The only way around this is to play the shows to either a VCR, DVD recorder, or to a video capture device on you computer. Even sometimes, my HDD/DVDR will not record the shows because of the electronic flag set on the file. I have been successful more times than not on transferring shows this way.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For years all of my channels were clear, but recently Charter started protecting all the premium channels too. :(

Dan

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not without a hardware mod, first. After the hardware mod, a software mod can be done that allows other utilities to transfer the content, or a different mod will allow the native (TTG) protocols to work. It all starts with a PROM mod, though.

If you have a Premier or an Elite, you're screwed. If you have an S3 or a THD, a PROM mod is not terribly difficult.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, it is not the only way around it.

7. Leona74

Leona74 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    [​IMG]I also have Comcast and most all of the premium channels are protected.