1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNL 9/15/12 Seth MacFarlane

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Sep 16, 2012.

1. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Cold Open - Barack Obama
    Monologue - Voices in my head
    Commercial - Political ad
    Sex After 50
    Commercial - Eastwood and Chair
    Lids Club, Gungnam Style - Psy cameo
    Introduction To Puppetry
    Frank Ocean performs
    Weekend Update:
    - Honey Boo Boo Child and Mama.
    - Ryan Lochte.
    - Get out the vote
    Do I stutter?
    Steve Harvey Show
    I'm like...
    Frank Ocean performs
    Wooden Spoon Warehouse

The season opener knocked it out of the park. Seth was a great host. Normally there's a few good skits and a few bad ones. I can't think of a single skit that was bad (some were a little weak, but not bad). You know it's a great episode when the weakest thing is Weekend Update.

A few comments though...

I had just seen the Gungnam Style video for the first time on Friday so I immediately knew what they were going for when Bobby came out. Originally I thought it was a cheesy move to take advantage of the popularity of the video, and it kind of was, but having Psy on it made it more legit. Plus Taran was a dead ringer for the guy in the yellow suit.

Seth was great. Loved his Ryan Lochte.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It was OK - nothing to write home to Mom about.

The new cast members look promising.

The guy playing Paul Ryan - sorry I don't know his name - was severely disappointing.

And after a week with 5 episodes of The Voice and The X Factor - I dunno Frank Ocean but man was he bad. He probably wouldn't make it through on any reality singing competition :eek:

3. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    that was Taran Killam, who is usually very good. He didn't have much to do as Ryan.

4. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I thought this was the best SNL I have ever seen -- comedy-wise. I actually found myself L'ing-O-L.

Seth MacFarlane should have been the musical guest as well as the host.

It only occurred to me after the political opener that Jay Pharoah is a tall black impressionist who SHOULD have been doing Barack Obama since the beginning instead of the comparitively diminuitive Fred Armisen.

I'd never seen/heard of the Asian viral video guy before, but I'm sure that will not be my last exposure to him, as other shows will surely feature him from now on (as they do with that little obnoxious hillbilly Honey Booboo and her clan).

:up::up:

5. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I hate Seth McFarlane, so Ive only watched a little of the show so far. I'm not impressed.

I also was not impressed with Jay Pharoah's Obama. He tries WAY too hard and needs to dial it back. (I also don't much care for him.)

I like Killam, but yeah, his Ryan wasn't great.

6. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Best episode of the season so far!

I like Seth. It felt like he had some hand in the writing.

Did not enjoy Frank Ocean at all. Too boring for a comedy show.

I had read the other day that Jay would be doing Obama this season. He has been doing it in his standup act all summer. Didn't really care for his version.

There are very few women in this cast. They need to add some.

I liked the Asian viral guy. I had recently seen the video.

I felt like this episode was flinging mud at Obama but flinging sh*t at Romney.

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Actually SNL is a late comer in that game as Psy has already been on a ton of news programs and Ellen.

Speaking of Honey Booboo. I didn't really know who that was since I never watched any of the shows she was on and never saw the YouTube clip.

8. Satchel

Satchel Active Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Jay's Obama relied way too much on mannerisms (the extended Ahhhhh) that just wansn't funny. He was also staring way too hard at the cue cards, which seemed to be down and to the right of camera. Very distracting.
    Blatant cue card reading is the easiest way to ruin a sketch for me.

Agree Seth McFarlane was a great host. His Lochte was probably the funniest bit of the show for me.

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I assume that was supposed to be the "reading a teleprompter" portion of his Obama impression. :D

10. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Friend of mine has been saying all summer that Matthew Morrison from GLEE is a dead ringer for Ryan and that this could be his "Tina Fey" moment-geez, I wish they would have done that. I LOVE me some Taran Killam but yeah, that was weak.

LOVED Clint Eastwood and his chair! Two Pants Up! :D:p

MacFarlane as Lochte-OMG! "Juice.." "You want juice?"
    I was watching a short movie and there were all these little movies inside of it.
    Those are commercials..:rolleyes:
    Oh, ok-I thought it was weird, 'cuz I was in a lot of them....;)

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Jay has the voice down, but he needs to work on the other mannerisms of Obama. Like that little "hmm" thing, yeah Obama does that, but it wasn't remotely funny at that frequency.

I thought the episode was OK but generally downhill from the cold open.

12. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm not even sure he has the voice down. But the mannerisms. UGH. Yes. I was telling my husband he needs to cool it with those, because it's really not that similar.

13. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Also, Seth, it's TakAY, at least according to wikipedia.

It's a shame. He's a handsome fella, but he reminds me of the irritating kid in high school who KNOWS he's really funny and just will NOT shut up.

14. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Heh. Okay, his Ryan Lochte was really funny. :)

15. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    He's worse than Jimmy Fallon for laughing at his own jokes.

16. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'll give Pharoh a few more episodes to hone his Obama. I think everyone was used to Fred Armisen, as was I.. but towards the end of the sketch, I could see Jay getting better at it. Give him a few more episodes.. I'm sure he'll be in every episode this season.

The rest of the show was great. I said to my g/f, they save all the best sketches for the season opener -- the rest of the season is going to be a big bag of suck.

I had been talking to people about the PSY video for a few weeks now, and I'm surprised at a few people who haven't seen it yet. That bit was awesome.

17. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I am looking forward to JGL next week. He's a GREAT actor.

18. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Okay, I finished it. I actually like the last two sketches a lot.

So some was good, some wasn't. Typical SNL.

I'm kind of dreading getting to know the new featured players. But I am really happy to see that they've hired a larger woman. I've often criticized them for hiring funny larger men but not women. I hope she's good.

19. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Now this I am in complete agreement with! :D

I couldn't understand why they had Jason Sidaikus (sp) doing Mitt Romney doing Joe Biden!?! ;)

Since I ff'd through the musical guest, I actually liked most of the show, aside from the Sex after 50 bit - I just cannot stand that bit. Very close 'last place' with What's Up With That? (which was thankfully missing this week).

20. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    His performance of "Make Em Laugh" is one of my most favorite monologues.