1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNL 5/18/13 Ben Affleck; Kanye West

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, May 19, 2013.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Politics Nation
    Ben Affleck monologue
    Bengo F#*@ Yourself
    Xanax for Gay Summer Weddings
    Edward Bean Almost Gets a Job*
    New Beginnings Summer Camp
    Kanye West performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Really!?! with Seth & Amy (Amy Poehler)
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Stefon
    The Wake of Greg Pulino
    Hermes Handbags
    Kanye West performs
    Shawna and Jake's Engagement Party
    Ian Rubbish and the Bizzaros

*Didn't see/hear anything specific to call this, so this is my best guess.

I absolutely LMFAO for the Xanax commercial.

WU was ok. So until Bill guest stars or cameos we've seen the last of Stefon, bummer.

2. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The guests on Stefon's side at the wedding were various people he has mentioned in his reviews over the years: http://www.hulu.com/search?query=stefon&st=1&fs=null

It worked out well that Ben Affleck was the host because he played Stefon's brother in the sketch where he first debuted (pitching a movie with his brother, rather than as the City Correspondent on WU), so it was nice to see him at the wedding.

New York's hottest wedding is Stefon marries Anderson Cooper. This wedding answers the question "I do?", the wedding is officiated by Black George Washington and Stefon's groomsmen are two human parking cones and a human fire extinguisher.

The guest list has everything: Germfs - German Smurfs; ALF in a trench coat; guys with afros wearing graduation caps; Hobocops - Homeless Robocops; Jewish Dracula, Sidney Applebaum; Furkels - Fat Urkels; grown men in wedding dresses; homeless guys in old-timey swimsuits; evil celebrity chef, Wario Batali; Gizblow - the coked-up gremlin; a Jewpid - Jewish Cupid; Menorah the Explorer; and, of course, DJ Baby Bok Choy.

I know I missed some, but I think I got most of them.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well done, getbak.

So I'm confused. I thought we heard earlier in the week that Jason Sudekis was leaving, along with Hader and Armisen. Hader and Armisen clearly got their farewell sketches, and were prominently featured waving goodbye after the final thank yous. But there was no feature sketch for Sudekis or any acknowledgment that this was his last show. So is he really leaving?

I was disappointed in the Stefon bit. While it was funny to see all the characters he's mentioned in the past, the live portion of the sketch was too short and sub par compared to his usual appearances. Not what I was hoping for from the potentially last time we'll see Stefon, at least for a while.

Xanax was the best sketch. The rest was only OK.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Quite the opposite for me -
    I have never liked the Stefon character and I thought it was pretty brilliant. Getting Anderson Cooper was most excellent and the cast in the church was awesome.

Now who the heck were all those people who came on to back up Ian Rubbish?
    The only one I recognized was Aimee Mann and I think Affleck mentioned the rest of them in the thanks yous and I still don't know who they are.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the only one that has officially announced he is leaving is Hader. Armisen and Sudekis were in the "could go either way" camp, but neither have officially announced they are leaving. It looks like Armisen may have made up his mind, though.

6. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

The one directly next to him was Carrie Brownstein, his co-star in Portlandia.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not saying I disliked the bit in the church. And I agree that having him marrying Anderson Cooper was great. But the reason we love Stefon is because it's great watching him try to keep a straight face while he lists all the ridiculous things in the various clubs he talks about. So the fact that we only got to see him talk about one club was a bummer.

I recognized Carrie Brownstein. One of them was Steve Jones from The Sex Pistols. I'm not sure who the rest were, or the significance of them joining him onstage for his farewell sketch.

8. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Aimee Mann was the one with glasses (fmr lead singer of Til Tuesday, now solo). The guy with long hair was J Mascis of the great Dinosaur Jr. (And yet I didn't recognize him). The blonde on the far right was Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.

9. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Aimee's husband and Sean's brother Michael Penn was there too.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Merely that they can all be classified, in real life, as "Fred Armisen's musician friends."

11. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I couldn't get past the large amount of makeup that Seth and Anderson were wearing...but I must admit Menorah the Explorer cracked me up...

That was about the only thing that made me laugh during the entire show...it stunk on ice! PEE-YU! I had high hopes for Ben Affleck - but man oh man...I was sorely disappointed...

12. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Did anyone else get the feeling that they, every once in a while, changed Affleck's lines on the cue cards? At one point, during the Argo thing, I got the feeling he was completely blindsided by a line.

That, and I'm crushed Hader's leaving. :( :( :(

I need some Gay Summer Wedding Xanax.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or he forgot the line or forgot he was told of the change...

14. tem

tem Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    People in Armisen's band:

Steve Jones: Sex Pistols guitarist
    Carrie Brownstein: partner on Portlandia, guitarist of Sleater-Kinney, Wild Flag
    J Mascis (grey hair, guitar solo): Singer/guitarist of Dinosaur Jr.
    Kim Gordon (tamborine): bass player of Sonic Youth
    Aimee Mann
    Michael Penn

15. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Also, Kanye West is....zzzzzzzzsnorehonkchew.

16. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I found the Fred Armisen song to be 1000 times better than Kanye's songs.

17. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Anyone else notice the look on Kanye's face at the end where the entire cast comes out with the host for the final thank yous? He did not look happy to be there.

18. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I liked Armisen's song too, but I didn't listen to Kanye.

Makes two of us.

19. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Y'all just may not be the target audience for Kayne.

:rolleyes:

20. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I appreciate all kinds of music, INCLUDING Kanye at times. I think he's got brilliant ideas.

But kinda blows live.