1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNL 2/9/13 Justin Bieber; Justin Bieber

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Feb 10, 2013.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Superbowl XLVII
    Justin Bieber monologue (Whoopie Goldberg cameo)
    The Californians
    Bieber Look-alikes
    The Moroccans of Mulholland Drive
    Justin Bieber performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..King Richard III's Best Friends from Growing Up
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Corey the One Black Guy in Every Commercial
    ..More Top Stories
    Angie and Billy
    The Miley Cyrus Show
    You Said "Glice!"
    A Sexy Valentine's Day Message from Justin Bieber to You
    Justin Bieber performs
    Booker T. Washington High Valentine's Dance

I dunno what Bieber or his people are thinking with that haircut, I can't be the only one that thinks of Vanilla Ice with him in that ridiculous pompadour.

I'm not a JB fan, but I was hoping that he would be able to do well, I don't think he did.

As usual, I didn't think there were any stand out skits. The part of the Superbowl skit where they kept throwing to the guy on the sidelines was funny. Bieber's monologue was pretty boring. I usually enjoy the Californians but this on fell flat for me. Bieber Look-alikes was a yawn. The series of fake Bravo commercials for BS shows was pretty good though.

In general the whole show was pretty Meh for me.

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Cold open (Superbowl) was pretty funny. I hate "Best Friends from Growing Up", in all incarnations and this one was no better. "Corey the One Black Guy" was very funny. I quit after "Angie and Billy" but I have it recorded so I'll get back to it.

3. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I could could take or leave it. Justin was okay at times and I like how he has a self-depreciating sense of humor, but he messed up a few times. The whole "you said glice" skit was kind of ruined because Justin said "glass".

Cold open started off dull, but got better.

4. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I felt like, at least in the first part it, they wrote to play to his fans. Which made it not funny.

Although I laughed at Keenan during the Kwanzaa thing.

5. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Beebs can sing but he's no Justin..

6. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Justin Bieber has a problem. He's aging out of the tween demographic. They already got One Direction to replace him. It's yet to be seen if he can transition to selling music to adults.

7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It seemed that Kenan was in all the best bits this week... I even found myself wishing he had more to do in The Californians.

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I don't get JB. In my opinion he is NOT a good singer. He is a successful teeny-bopper marketing phenom, so he could quit today and never work another day in his life. He already has over $100m.

Oh, and I thought his haircut was the same as Miley Cyrus' latest 'do.

9. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Not fan of Bieber as well but he's a good vocals, after all it was youtube where he got his start as a little kid with pipes. Perhaps you are saying he is not a good artist which I would agree.

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
  11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    No, I think see him more as a very pretty version of Annie Lennox.

12. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    The Ellen joke was funny because its true.

13. dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    I don't know much about music and talent, but I've read on other forums that Bieber is actually talented, and if he makes the right decisions, he can be like the other Justin.

14. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I can say with certainty he doesn't have an ounce of the comic timing JT has.

He tries way too hard, so maybe that's fixable.

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    JT is at minimum a quadruple threat. No fair comparing anyone to that.

JB can sing and dance, and he doesn't really need to try to do more than that. He just needs to figure out how to skew older.

16. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I dunno...I'm pretty old, and my peers like him. Girl peers, anyway. :D

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i pressed live tv and just happened to catch the first few minutes of this show (normally i dont watch)

his voice seemed just bad when he was with each of the girls in the audience and he looked old for sure..has to be legal by now. since i'm not a teen girl i just cannot comprehend such love for any 'star' at all. when i was a teen i cant think of anyone id scream for even.

one thing that does amaze me is that while record companies worry about pirating music, apparently teen girls actually pay for the music or he wouldnt be making that much money

18. warrenn

warrenn New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    JB doesn't strike me as someone who has true charisma. It seems like he's always playing a part. I imagine a team of handlers behind the scene telling him what to sing, what to wear, what to say, how to say it, how he should be tilting his head as he says it, etc. He's good looking and can sing, but he seems much more like a corporate spokesperson than a true artist.

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Since he started his own career via YouTube, I think he is not controlled by others.

20. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I have rarely missed an SNL since the very first episode of the very first season, and I often post how I've been listening to people talk about how the show was "so much better before" since the 70's.

That being said, this season is hands down the weakest since the 1980 - 81 season (which still is hands-down the weakest SNL season ever. Hard to believe it's the season that introduced Eddie Murphy... but I digress).

So, having established that I feel this is the weakest season of SNL in a LONG TIME, I'll say that this was one of the season's stronger episodes (still not saying that much since the bar is so low this season).

Still, several sketches worked pretty well.

Superbowl XLVII was funny because it was painful trying to watch the pre-game guys fill the gap during the power failure in the real Super Bowl.

The Look Alikes sketch was good for several laughs.

Any time Keenan Thompson is going to do a character on WU I just know it's going to be hilarious, and this one was no exception.

Finally, I just ABSOLUTELY LOVE Vanessa Bayer's Miley Cyrus. I was glad to see it again. It's particularly amazing to me because Bayer couldn't look any less like Miley Cyrus yet she manages to do a fantastic spot-on impression of her! Bieber added very little to this particular sketch, but I just love that Miley impression! :up: