1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNL 11/19/11 Jason Segel; Florence and the Machine

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    A Message from the Committee to Elect Mitt Romney
    Jason Segel monologue (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Rolf, Fozzy, Scooter, Gonzo cameo)
    Red Flag commercial
    Kelly Interviews the Regis Replacement
    Pete & Stacy Kemper for Kemper-pedic
    Thanksgiving with the Parents (Paul Rudd cameo)
    Florence and the Machine performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Gov. Jon Huntsman
    ..Top Stories
    ..Really!?! with Seth & Kermit
    ..Top Stories
    Mitch Gurst's Retirement Party
    A New Jack Thanksgiving
    Seducing Women Through Chess
    Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor
    Florence and the Machine performs
    The Blue Jean Committee plays The Empty Glass (Paul Rudd cameo)

Lots of good stuff this week.

Cold open was pretty good, but wow, that monologue was epic, best monologue ever. I don't really expect much out of it, but they blew me away.

Red Flag gets funnier every time I see it.

The Kelly interviews were ok.

Kemper-pedic was AWESOME.

Not a fan of the over the top kissing sketches, it's a one trick pony, I get it, still don't really think its funny.

The actual Gov. Huntsman showed up, ok, thats was kinda interesting, would have been more interesting if they had gotten Herman Cane though.

Really!?! was fantastic, gotta love Kermit.

Seducing Women was pretty funny.
  2. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Love the Muppets! A+ for their appearance alone.

Was there an Olivia Wilde cameo in the Digital Short or did that girl just look like her?
  3. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    I think it just looked like her.
  4. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    I like that they came out for the curtain call with their puppeteers (muppeteers?) showing.
  5. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Would have been better if his daughters would have shown up as well. Look them up nice eye candy. Or funnier if they would have gotten three of the girls to play is nutty daughters.
  6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster TCF Club

Mar 20, 2001
    Have they ever done that on screen before? It may be a historic moment!
  7. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Haven't watched most of it yet, but I will say, Taran Killam does a SPOT. ON impression of Ashton Kutcher.

And Jay Pharoah can leave at any time.
  8. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Gonzo: We knew Lorne when he still said, "Aboooot" :p

Miss Piggy: Well, there's one word he still won't say-RESIDUALS!!! :D;)

Also loved "REALLY???" with Seth and Kermit-they need to bring Kermit back for that again! :D
  9. mdougie

mdougie New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    His impression of Denzel is hilarious. I love it.
  10. DougF

DougF Active Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota

Monologue was awesome and Kemperpedic was hilarious.
  11. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree Kemperpedic was truly funny.

The kissing sketch was the same old same old - they did it before and didn't add anything new. My complaint from last week.

Um - how did Florence and the Machine become popular?
    She's awful.
  12. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I like Florence but, as with most musical acts on SNL, she didn't sound her best here.

Agree with most everything above. FF'd the kissing sketch--yawn. Huntsman wasn't that funny but he at least didn't seem completely stiff (you'd hope he'd be comfortable on stage with the 3,000 debates they've had!) Retirement party was meh. Thought the rest were fair to good. Paul Rudd? Was there something meta there or was that just random?
  13. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Pretty solid episode.

Best highlight was "Really!?? With Seth and Kermit." I could barely breathe each time Kermit screamed "Really!!" with nose pointed skyward and head gyrating. That was the best "Really!??" ever.

The monologue was also great, mostly because of the muppets.

I also really liked "Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor". It reminded me of the old "Frankenstein" stuff with Phil Hartman.
  14. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    The thing about Florence is her edgy, weird sounding voice. I haven't listened to these performances, but that's part of why she's popular.
  15. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    My local Comcast provider decided to insert their periodic snap, crackle and pop sound effects into the NBC broadcast again so the musical act didn't sound that great to me. I should start recording NBC via antenna since that sounds fine. You'd think with Comcast owning NBC, that they'd actually pass the feed along without breaking it, but you'd be wrong.
  16. Satchel

Satchel Active Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I believe Rudd was in the original family kissing sketch.
  17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    Bringing Paul Rudd back (who had been in one of the previous versions of the sketch) redeemed it somewhat, as did including James Franco (another alumnus of the sketch) in the family photo they put up at the end.

And I think the business with homeless guy and the brussel sprouts and the gravy probably qualifies as adding something new.
  18. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Tina Fey was great as the musical guest. Really edgy how they had her do really crappy vocals and goofy looks.

Red Flag and the Chess Seduction were great. CHECKMATE!
  19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    Florence doesn't look anything like Tina Fey.

They should, however, invite her back if they ever reprise Charles Barkley's "What Is That?" game show sketch from 1993. :)