1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smash - S01E11 - The Movie Star - 04/16/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by busyba, Apr 17, 2012.

1. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Okay, so when they cut to the scene where the composer and the chorus boy are back at his apartment, we come in at the middle of a conversation that goes like this:

"Into the Woods"
    "For me, it's The Frogs. I'm just weird."

Anybody know (without googling) what was the unaired line that was almost certainly spoken right before we joined the scene in progress?

It was:
    "What's your favorite Sondheim show?"

I love that they just left that there without explaining it.

2. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I think they've really hit their stride... all of a sudden, the hour was over, and I wanted more story. I wasn't pleased with the choice of Uma Thurman last week, but this week I was more than impressed. From her totally crappy singing at the beginning, to her down-three-octaves "hit" number, to her general acting through the rest of it: wow... perfect. I believed her in that role.

It's sort of odd that there was all of the primadonna demands, but then at the evening meeting she was all business and seemingly down to earth. Kind of confused me.

Probably what I liked the most was that there was just enough of each character. A little Julia/Frank/Leo, a little clingy Tom, a little Karen/Ivy, a little Karen/Dev/BFF, and the main Rebecca story sprinkled among it.

I also liked that Rebecca is causing change in Bombshell, so there are new songs being written and sung. I wondered how they would sing something new every week... there aren't THAT many songs in a musical!

The montage of scenes during the "only three weeks left before the season finale" was impressive.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm glad Ellis got his...

...though who in reality would really answer a phone and then start talking like that without getting at least a "hello" from their caller...

4. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ellis. :)

5. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I still can't get past Anjelica Houston. She's. just. gross. No way that bartender dude is interested in her for just a relationship, the casting people could not have missed it by that much.

I'm waiting for the arc that exposes Eileen is a dude.

6. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    +1

7. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    This was my exact comment to my wife last night. :rolleyes:

This was not my in my commentary last night. Can I borrow this for next week's episode? :p ;) :D

8. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I have liked Angelica in a lot of things. Grifters is one of my favorite movies and I tried to convince myself to seeing my way to being attracted to her in some way but found it wholly impossible.

The relationship is just too odd a mismatch to make sense. When she is with her ex husband it makes sense, in this case it does not

As someone mentioned if it was a sugar momma angle you could see it but that seems ruled out.

Maybe it is some revenge fantasy based on a wrong she did to someone in his family and he is messing with her.

9. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Anjelica Houston has earned her stripes but one of the problems is that we age and we cannot control or prevent it. Yes, I find her not attractive now, but I remind myself of who she is and I pretend she is more attractive than she is.

10. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I don't really have a problem with her. Like her acting? Yes. Am I personally attracted to her? No. Do I think she's gross? No. Could I see her being hit on by a bartender like that? Hell yes... Eileen may need money but she still has charisma and power.

I saw her on a recent Regis and Kelly (yes, I know, but that's what it will always be to me) where she was talking about the show and the drinks to her ex's face, etc. She was SO not Eileen. She was always smiling, seemed down to earth, and acted a lot younger than she is. It was obvious that this was the real Anjelica, and I was glad to see it. :)

Gotta say, tho... I hate that straight-down dark hair doo. Yuk... doesn't do anything for her.

11. DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Also, can they please replace Debra Messing's kid? He can't act out of a wet paper bag.

12. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that doesn't find Angelica Houston attractive. EEK!

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    She's looked worse...

[​IMG]

14. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Now we know why, it covers that crater in her skull.

15. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    What movie is that from? She almost looks like a Ferengi but not quite..

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
  17. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    That was my first impression, too. :)

18. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    He must be failing his acting class too...

19. DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    :up::D

20. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC