1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smash - "Publicity" - 4/23/2012 - S01E12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Apr 24, 2012.

1. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Wow, what a great episode. I never thought they could put a Bollywood number in this show but they made it work, AND it was great! It was a complete "burst into song" moment, but I didn't mind.

The only thing I didn't like was Karen getting screwed out of that song at the end. She got a text from a random person and went home? Why not go up and watch, learn, grow? Especially since you're Derek's favorite at the moment.

Yes, I want Ellis gone. What a little snake bastard.

This is one of the few shows that ends and I didn't realize an hour had gone by. They really keep it moving.

2. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I was particularly amused at Ellis' cameo in the Bollywood number where he sneaks in and steals something and sneaks back out.

3. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was amazed at how much singing and dancing went into that... it was more complicated than everything in the rest of the episode, including how to make a smoothie! :)

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Wasn't it the stage manager?

5. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I didn't think the son could get any more annoying. Then I watched this episode.

6. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Oh, and how obvious is it that a reaction to eating peanuts is coming!

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I thought that's what Ivy's request was: Elllis, how about you mix some peanuts into her smoothie?

8. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I inferred from the text that the whole rehearsal was canceled.

9. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ellis borrowed the phone from someone sitting in the hall.

10. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Seemed more 'directed' to me, but could go either way! So why was Rebecca still going upstairs if the whole rehearsal was canceled?

11. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Good point. And Karen's so stary-eyed over the whole thing you'd think she'd go and observe, not just figure "score! Day off!"

12. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Actually, Rebecca just went upstairs to get another smoothie. :)

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Musically, I really liked this episode. The Snow Patrol song "Run" was very, very good (I think I actually like it better than the original!). The ballad done by either Karen OR Ivy was quite beautiful... one of the few songs from "Bombshell" that I really like a lot. The Bollywood piece was much "pop-pier" than I expected it to be, not styled like "traditional" Indian music that I've heard, and very well choreographed.

Not specifically related with this episode, but I just wish they wouldn't write all the characters quite as "anvil-icious" and so one-dimensional. Ellis is, of course, the worst example of this, where all you know of him is that he's a snake... but the problem affects virtually all the characters. It feels, to me, like they're writing the characters as if they are characters for a stage production, where you have a few hours and you don't have time to more delicately develop a character in the audience's mind... but this is television, and they had more than enough time to allow them to develop more naturally. Hopefully, since they now have a second season, they can develop the characters a little better, and give them some depth.

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I feel very stupid all I knew is the Leona Lewis version. :eek:

15. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    You're ahead of me, Caine... I didn't recognize it at all and I listen to a lot of pop music!

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    To be honest, I didn't either. :)

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Not sure what show you people are watching. This was the episode that has made it easy for to stop watching.

That Bollywood number just kept reminding me of "Outsourced" but not in a good way.

The whole kid is missing and bringing people together was right out of a daytime soap.

18. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'll give another vote for the Bollywood number. I loved it! Nice how pretty much everyone in the whole show was in it.

19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There was a line in the commercial for the episode that I didn't hear in the show (it was dubbed over the scene where everybody in the rehearsal room goes running to the doors), where somebody says something like "She's not breathing" or "Call a doctor"; I also figured that the "favor" would be to put peanut oil into a smoothie, but when it didn't happen, I figure the line is from a future episode where she does have an attack (probably in a Boston preview).

Let me guess: if they show any scenes from an "actual performance" this season, it will be in the finale, although I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode ends just as they're about to start the overture at the first preview, and the second season premiere takes place just before the Broadway previews begin (and I wouldn't be surprised to see "Spider-man: Turn Off The Dark"-level delays once they get there).
    There could even be a cliffhanger when something happens to the star just before the first preview and they have to decide whether they really want Karen in the role or have Ivy do it. "If you want Karen to be Marilyn, call 1-900-SMASH-KAREN; if you want Ivy, call 1-900-SMASH-IVY. You can also text KAREN or IVY to 76274 (SMASH). $1 fee per call or text will apply; all proceeds go towards keeping NBC afloat long enough, especially after the expected losses with the Summer Olympics, to even have a second season."

20. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    How about adding a very special crossover event where Ivy and Karen get to be mentors on the Voice.