1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smash "Previews" 5/7/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, May 8, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 #1 of 32
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    That church had some impressive production values.

I think it's safe to say the Uma Thurman experiment was a failure. The "Let Me Be Your Star" opening was painful both to watch and listen to (for once I agree with Ellis), and she descended into caricature and was simply not comfortable in this role. Katharine McPhee should be starring in that show, period, and it's encouraging that they've started the retooling process.

Clearly the Dev/Ivy thing is going to blow up at some point; honestly, I wish they'd explored this earlier, as it's so much better than the contrived Karen/Ivy tension we got for most of the season.

I think they're handling the Tom/Julia feud all wrong. The show was out of options and had to bring Michael back immediately, and my fear is that it'll take her most of next season to fully see it. Those two are also the most palatable relationship on the show, and I hate to see it at least partially derailed...particularly by something as stupid as another advance on Julia by Michael. What the hell are they thinking?

2. May 8, 2012 #2 of 32
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Why do I have the feeling that next week's episode (the season finale) is going to end with a shot from behind of the new Marilyn on stage as the curtain goes up, but they leave "is it Karen or Ivy?" as a cliffhanger?

And will "Bombshell" ever have a book?

3. May 8, 2012 #3 of 32
    Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Best line of the night: "which one's Ivy?"

4. May 8, 2012 #4 of 32
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I hope worm boy Ellis gets his in the season finale.

5. May 8, 2012 #5 of 32
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm sure it already does if the show is in previews.

Or are you asking if they will make a book for Bomshell in real life, the way they've made a cast recording (of sorts)? If that's your question, then I my guess is that the answer is "probably not".

The only reason to do that would be if they were going to actually produce a real life production of Bombshell. I don't think that's ever been the plan.

6. May 8, 2012 #6 of 32
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I assumed that That Don Guy meant a *completed* book. This show has gone through so many changes/additions/removals by this point, and they're not remotely done. One would think this was Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark with how many changes they've been through.

7. May 8, 2012 #7 of 32
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    No book is ever really completed until Opening Night on Broadway.

Some are more complete earlier than others, but yeah, Bombshell is probably not going to be one of those shows. :)

8. May 8, 2012 #8 of 32
    nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Actually, that is the plan.

From what I have read, they would love the success of the show to lead to an actual broadway production. That was the plan from the beginning.

9. May 9, 2012 #9 of 32
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Really? I hadn't heard that, interesting.

I guess that would be the ultimate in corporate synergy. Forget about product placement; now we have a hour-long primetime drama series infomercial.

10. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm very curious what Julia has planned for the ending... even Tom has no idea.

I was worried that the blame for the peanuts would land on Karen, since she was obviously there. Ellis is the obvious choice, but I think Rebecca put them in the drink herself, to commit suicide. And she'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that nosy Karen.

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    From what I read, they were hoping that if the show was successful and ran for several seasons, more than one production could come out of it.

It would be a cycle of TV to Broadway.

But the original creator and showrunner - who is a Broadway veteran - will not be doing the show for season 2 (she will still executive produce). They are using the executive producer of Gossip Girl as the showrunner next year. So it will be interesting to see how that effects not only the direction of the show, but what happens to the original plan...

12. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Didn't they do that a few years ago the reality show "Your the one that I want" aka grease where the winners went to star in a broadway revival of Grease!

13. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    The bartender boyfriend of the producer is involved somehow. He snuck out "to help Ellis get a ride" from that bar. Why would he do that? There's something up there and I think that's what it was... he suggested to Ellis what he should do.

14. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Except that scene happened after the "poisoning"...

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think that the "help Ellis get a ride" bit was probably nothing more than a contrivance by the writers to get the bartender out of the room so Angelica Huston could wander over to the piano and get herself a song.

I wonder if the cast on the bartender's hand was actually a real cast that the actor needed to wear.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Actually, it happened the night before, the evening of the performance. The poisoning scene happened the next morning.

That said, it seemed pretty clear to me that he was just making sure Ellis left because he was drunk and talking trash about Eileen right in front of her. ("So you're directing now?" "I'm producing. Someone has to...")

He didn't exactly sneak out - he told Ellis to leave, had a line of dialogue with Eileen, then announced "I'm going to make he has a ride home." He went out and made sure Ellis got in a cab, then came right back in.
    Exactly my thought as well.

17. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I thought that briefly, but I'm sure they could have camouflaged it if that were the case.

I think this is part of his Shady Bartender Dealings.

18. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    He really broke it. In half. 18 pins.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Ouch!

That's what I thought. They way they just addressed it and dismissed it practically in the same breath ([paraphrasing] "do I even want to know?" "probably not.") just reeked of "oh well, he needs to wear this cast; let's just hang a lantern on it and move on". :)

20. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Actually, what I meant was, would there ever be any "Bombshell" scenes aired where they weren't singing?

Actually, there might have been brief snippets of non-singing scenes; for example, there was one during a rehearsal where the director was yelling at Karen for walking towards the back instead of the front, so her back would be to the audience.

Yes, but that's just it - it's a reality series, not a scripted drama.

Then again, if they do end the season on a cliffhanger as to who is Marilyn, they can have an audience phone-in choose. Something tells me it would turn into a choice between KATHARINE McPHEE!!! and the blonde, whatshername.