1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallville - 9/28/06 - "Zod"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IndyJones1023, Sep 28, 2006.

1. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Pretty damn good for TV proportions. I loved the "Kneel before Zod" nod and the hand hold homage to SII. Good stuff! I liked how everything was wrapped up.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Yeah, this was a season premiere that did not suck.

Looks like the romantic lines are being drawn. Lana's out. Chloe's out (having found Iceman). Clark getting chummy with Lois -- sorta.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, it is Iceman's twin brother.

I loved it. The battle, though brief, was pretty damn good. It actually felt like two titans were fighting. The rock getting pulverized under Clark was terrific.

They wrapped up some threads, opened some new ones and it made sense (well, except for the "surprises" they planted at the end).

And real actual evil. The plunging of the poker into Lana's hand was surprising and made sense for a bad, bad guy.

Now, this is good Smallville.

Oh, and I liked the little touches "See you later, CK!"

4. scheckeNYK

scheckeNYK New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    The CG Terrence Stamp was a major mark out moment for me. That hairline was the first thing that caught my eye, and I played it back at least 2 or 3 times. For a second I thought the girl in the PZ was Justine Bateman. How funny would that cameo have been!?!

5. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think I enjoyed watching Lana get impaled a little too much. I must have replayed that 4 or 5 times. :)

Can someone remind me the context in which we met Jimmy Olsen before this episode?

The crystal had the proper "S" Superman logo, not the "8" logo that we've usually seen as the mark of the House of El. Was that the first time we saw that?

I don't get the reference.

6. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ..because she played a Kryptonian in "Lois & Clark?" :)

I wonder how many people in the world think that the guy that plays Jimmy Olsen is the same guy that plays Iceman in the "X-Men" movies? ;)

I enjoyed the episode. Pretty entertaining. I'm confused though because I thought humans and not just demon creatures got sucked out of The Phantom Zone with Clark? I guess we've only seen one and it was a demon, but there may be others.

"General Zod does not take orders...he gives them." Another cute SII reference.

7. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I was wating for Lana to say, "Oh my God" only to have Lex correct her, "That's Zod." :D

8. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I don't think we ever actually saw him, but Chloe revealed that Jimmy was who she lost her virginity to during her internship at the Daily Planet.

9. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I liked the episode a lot - ditto on liking Lana's hand getting impaled a little too much. Enough SII references to make me happy. Loved the shots of CK and Zod going toe to toe and destroying trees and ground in their battle.

But also was waiting for Clark to put the S symbol around his neck, the baseball cap on sideways and say "Bling, Bling!".

10. IndyJones1023

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I thought is was Iceman. But then I thought "hmmm, something's not right with his face." I didn't know he had a twin brother.

11. painkiller

painkiller Painkiller

Jun 22, 2005
    Baltimore
    I just have to step in and also proclaim my enthusiasm for this 6th Season opener. Loved it.

The visuals, action, dialogue. To me at least, this episode ranks as being uppermost Smallville.

Can't wait to see how this season progresses.

12. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
  13. ChickenCheese

ChickenCheese with BBQ sauce

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    Just a small nitpick, but how did Martha and Lois survive a plan crash??! :rolleyes:

14. Figaro

Figaro El Caganer

Nov 9, 2003
    Somwhere in...
    Iceman has actually already been on Smallville twice, so I guess that's why they had to get his brother.

As for the episode itself I thought it was terrible. Just when you thought the acting couldn't get any worse it does. Michael Rosenbaum is usually a reason to watch this show but he was horrible in it. Once again Lana is beaten to a pulp yet at the end she doesn't have a mark on her except for the hand wound.

This show just needs to be ended. It's been spinning it's wheels for two years now. Put a Kryptonite bullet in it.

Wow they really shook up the plot planning magic eight ball for next week. Lex get's kidnapped again!

15. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Loved how they started this season. Bring on the season finale!!!

16. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    OK. As much as I disagreed with a lot of stuff they were doing in the past, this was a totally cool episode! Yeah, there's some sharktank jumping, but all of the good things about the eppy overcomes all that. As much as I like seeing emo Lana getting kicked around, it was getting stale. But certain things were truly neat!

I liked how Jor-el is finally coming to light as a good guy. I liked how in his farewell to Martha, he acknowledges that he couldn't wish for anyone better to raise his son. I liked how Clark is starting to see his father in the right light too.

It was also nice that you really couldn't tell if the girl in the phantom zone was good or bad until she proved herself to be good.

And the phantom zone!!!! Totally cool that we not only get a glimpse of the inside of that plane that whisks them away, but actually get to see the phantom zone itself!

All in all.... :up: :up: :up:

17. IndyJones1023

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
  18. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Because as he said, Jor-El brought them to the Fortress, but then, maybe being smug is more fun than paying attention to the show. ;)

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Anyone who hates bad acting and still watches this show must be some sort of masochist. Why complain about acting when it's always bad? Jeez.

I thought this was one of the better episodes in the entire series. For once, clark did not defeat the enemy through luck, but through his own cunning. I really like that... I'm tired of, whoops I impaled you with this magic spiked ball.

Where were aquaman and the flash when we needed them? Jerks.

20. PeternJim

PeternJim New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Fantastic episode -- great start to a new season!

I replayed a couple times, but I didn't see Zod actually leave Lex's body. Anyone else for the theory that Zod has been bound, but isn't destroyed? For that matter, we saw the two people in the Phantom Zone get knifed, but didn't necessarily see them die. The Phantom Zone being what it is, maybe they can't die there. (Just hurt a lot - it was still a sacrifice.)

And anyone else for the theory that Jor-El and the fortress are not as "dead" as we are supposed to think? I suppose Lionel could be writing Kryptonian from suppressed memories. Maybe the Fortress will reboot from the back-up "nice dad" persona.

I agree, Lana is out, but this also went a long way to get her back to being willing to be friends with Clark. There has to be some "if only I had trusted you" stuff going on for her.

Interesting move for Jimmy Olsen to be effectively the same age as Clark. That is a major shift from the traditional. (Though, as mentioned earlier in the thread, not news. Just more real now that we've actually met him.)