1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Wireless Connection on Roamio Streaming???

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by don129, Aug 29, 2013.

1. don129

don129 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    So I just swapped out my Premiere TiVOs with Roamios. Both Premiere's had wireless N adapters and streaming between them on my wireless N network worked very well.

With my new Roamio's every time I try to stream between them I get an error message that the wireless network is too slow.

Any suggestions for improving wireless performance here? Running Ethernet cables through my house is not an option so I have to get this resolved.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Which model roamios? If they're the plus or pro, I'd try using moca thru your coax lines.

3. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I don't believe that streaming via integrated wireless is supported.

4. don129

don129 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I have the base Roamio..... should be using its wi-fi connection for streaming... no?

5. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    No. Although it has WiFi integrated, TiVo does not support Multi-Room Streaming over WiFi. You would need to use Ethernet or an external MoCA adapter.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You could try the same Wireless N adapters you were using before. Maybe they work better then the built in WiFi.

7. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    Where is this info about not supporting streaming over we-fi comming from. I have had my premier elite on wi-fi for over two years and it streams like a champ!

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's not that it can't, it's that TiVo specifically says on their help pages that streaming over wifi is not "supported". Meaning if you can get it to work then great, if not then don't call TiVo expecting them to help.

This is actually why I was so surprised they included wifi in the Roamio basic but not MoCa. Of course if people don't have Ethernet they're going to try using wifi next.

9. don129

don129 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I used a MOCA adapter and have it up & running like a champ!!!!

10. Crrink

Crrink Active Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My Roamio Basic allowed me to try streaming a show over WiFi from my old hard wired Premiere, but the network was too slow to make it really useable. I was able to transfer about 12 hours of OTA shows to it over WiFi, but it took something like 20 hours to do this, so I got a switch and hard wired the Roamio for the remaining transfers I want to do.

So, WiFi was an option for me, just not one that worked well enough to be useful without at least some more troubleshooting to see if I could get a better signal for faster transfer.
    I have Ethernet in all the locations I have TiVo's, so fortunately, I wont' have to depend on wireless.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Like I said it's not that it can't do it, or that they actively prevent you from trying it, but if it doesn't work and you call support they'll just tell you "sorry, we do not support streaming over wifi. Use Ethernet or MoCa instead".