1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow IN-HOME Transfer Speeds after Update

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gbruyn, Oct 30, 2013.

1. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Ever since the Tivo app update my IN-HOME transfer speeds have been very slow! Did the new Tivo app change the way the downloading goes for the in-home streaming? It seems like I use to be able to transfer a movie in 20-30 minutes. Now it takes double that.

Anyone else notice their transfers IN-HOME slower?

2. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yes, since the last update, I believe, the time it takes to transfer a 30-minute TV show at Best quality takes about 35 minutes now. It used to take roughly 17 minutes.

The funny thing is when I go to download a show to my iPhone 5s, it shows 17 minutes, but once it starts, the timer jumps to 35 minutes. It was fine before the latest update that included OOH Streaming as an "Easter Egg".

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Maybe the encoding quality level (bit rates) went up? Have you noticed the resulting file sizes being much bigger than they used to be?

4. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    No. Same file size.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, I noticed that last night as well.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Perhaps what TiVo did to support OOH streams/downloads is throttle the transfers to keep speeds < ~ 2.2 Mbps total. i.e. Maybe it's not adaptive streaming, but rather 3 fixed rate transfers according to quality you select, and it's the same transfer rates in or out of home. Lame if that is indeed the case...

7. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The app is really weird. I'll have to test again when I get home or when I have time. For example, I am trying to download a 30 min. TV show. I choose Best Quality, which show 559MB. Once it starts downloading, it jumps down to 273MB and 9:30 minutes or so. Eventually, it'll jump to 573MB and 35 minutes or so.

This was over Verizon LTE.

8. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Just did an in home download test. Speed appears to be comparable to before the update. 30 min HD show, Best quality, took just under 12 min for 537MB or about 5.96 Mbps. Definitely higher than the 2.2 Mbps streaming rate Tivo claims for best OOH streaming.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's good to see.

10. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Tested again at home and it's about the speeds Devx experienced. However, I still experience the same issue with the size of the file changing as it downloads. The initial size before download shows 559MB, then goes down to 273MB or so, then jumps up to 570MB. I don't know what causes this, or if it depends on speed.

11. bellbm

bellbm New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    I do a lot of in home streaming to my ipad (I Have the standalone stream), and ever since updating the ap, when I'm streaming, the show will stop every minute or so, pause for a second or two, and then start again.
    NEVER had any problems like this before.
    I hope they haven't throttled the transfer speeds. This is really annyoing!

12. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I've always found in home transfers to be about twice as long as the app initially estimates, but I haven't tried it since the new update. For a one hour show at lower quality (back when there was only 2), the app would always estimate 9 minutes but the transfer would actually take about 18-20 minutes. I've never been able to get the speeds that the app claims.

I'm on a 25/25 Fios internet plan and I actually get those speeds. My Tivo is hardwired and my wireless to my iPad is pretty solid, usually at least 20+ mbps based on speedtest.net.

13. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I just transferred an hour long show (~1GB) and it took about 30 minutes. That works out to around 4.7Mbps. Pretty slow if you ask me. My iPad is connected to the router via Wireless-N (and is right next to the router). This definitely is slower than is used to be.

When transferring via kmttg (which obviously isn't trans-coding real-time) the speed is just under 100Mbps.

14. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I too see about 3 to 4Mb/s rate when transferring video's to an iPad (mini) over an 802.11g network (with excellent signal strength)

glad to hear I'm not alone in these lousy speeds

-TL

15. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    That was my hunch as well. Hopefully it is just a crude placeholder until they figure out a better solution.

16. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I'm guessing you mean Mbps (MegaBits per second)... not MB/s (megabytes per sec). 3-4 MB/s would be a great improvement as I'm getting less than 1 MB/sec

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I have an iPad Air arriving Friday so will be testing in home streaming and transfers over the weekend to see how it goes. For longest time I was waiting for Android support, but at this point who knows when that will happen anymore, and there will no doubt be early bugs to contend with if/when it does happen.

18. nbromber

nbromber New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Download speeds are still painfully slow. Took over 30 minutes for 60 mins of video on the lowest quality. Roamio is hardwired to the router and I have Fios 150/65...

Hmmm...

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    In home or out of home transfer?

I suppose another possibility for slowing things down is perhaps to try and minimize heat generation during encoding. If TiVo slows down encoding it could help keep heat generation down. It would be interesting for someone with a standalone stream that hasn't gotten the software update yet to compare vs Roamio Stream.
    That way we can also find out perhaps if the speed throttling is part of iOS app or the Stream firmware.

20. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    But what's the speed of your WiFi? b? g? n? ac?

How many devices were connected to the WiFi when you did the download? I don't have any ac experience yetÂ…but each connected device on b/g/n slows down the network for everyone.