1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by irregularjoe, Mar 25, 2006.

1. irregularjoe

irregularjoe New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Has anyone used a Slingbox with a DTV Tivo?
    I'm thinking about getting one.
    Anyway to access saved programs from the Tivo unit on it?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The SlingBox provides a remote control you use to control the video source, so anything you can do in front of the unit, you can do via the SlingBox remotely; there' just the slight delay because of video compression/transmission/decompression so you have to be a little careful with some things like FF/REW type operations.

I just picked one up yesterday to use with an HR10-250 and my T-Mobile MDA; works fine.

3. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I've got two slingboxes, one connected to an R10 tivo dvr.

Works great, except a couple of buttons on the tivo remote (in the sling software) don't work, however you can use the drop down menu to get to all functions. Sling indicates there is some negotiation issue with Tivo regarding the skin for the remote, and that those buttons will be fixed when that is resolved.

Keep in mind that with the slingbox, all you are doing is remotely watching/operating the local device (tivo or whatever), so if someone else is sitting in front of it, you are both watching and controlling the same thing. You both have to watch the same thing.

Carl

4. irregularjoe

irregularjoe New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.
    So if I use it to watch TV on my laptop the person at home has to watch the same thing?
    My main concern though is can I use it to watch AND record programs from my DTV Tivo unit to my laptop.
    If it's streaming only, that's kind of useless to me.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's streaming only.

6. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    What a great idea, I could setup a Slingbox and use it to control my DirecTiVo in the closet that I have setup as a Video Media Server that isn't connected to a TV and has no remote control access, which would allow me to control its MRV functions (Multi Room Viewing).

A really great idea!

BTW, do you know what remote control keys are non-functional.

Additional Edit:

After a lot of searching over in the Slingbox forum, I noticed that users of the new version where complaining that the "LIST" button was greyed out. I did notice that at other times someusers had compained that the "CLEAR" button was not functional.

Are there other keys greyed out or non-functional in the current version?

SLINGBOX FYI

SlingPlayer Version: 1.0.5.140
    Official Release: 3/8/2006

Firmware update included: Yes
    Firmware update version: 1.0.61
    Firmware release date: 3/8/2006

Download Size: 26.8MB Upgrade / 70.5MB Full

What's New

Improved Video Quality! - Sling Media continually improves video quality and now the Video Tuning Wizard makes it easier to adjust your SlingPlayer automatically to the best possible video quality.

Better Remote Controls! - Six new customized remote controls for settop receivers from DirecTV, Comcast, ReplayTV, UltimateTV, DISH Network and the brand, new TiVo remote control..

Better Connectivity! - EVDO users and VPN users will notice fewer disconnects with this release.

The 1.0.5 release also includes:

Firmware updates that ready your Slingbox for the upcoming mobile release.

A smooth installation so that your settings from previous releases are preserved.

More complete remote control mappings for popular set-top boxes, including more keyboard shortcuts as well as additional remote control commands

Improved remote control functionality for many devices, including but not limited to CyberHome DVD players, Moxi, SA Explorer 8600, and Toshiba DVRs.

Easier & more straightforward device selection during the setup process.

Updated support documents for this release. Both the User Guide as well as the Windows help file have been updated

If you can't find it in the documentation, try checking out the Sling Community, which is now linked through the Help Menu.

Improved SlingPlayer for non-US locations. Now you can select your NTSC country from the menu during setup, and 4-digit channels are also accepted.

A plethora of under-the-hood enhancements that fix bugs and concerns reported by our community in both the software and firmware.

7. irregularjoe

irregularjoe New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    That's too bad.
    I thought it might be a way to network this overpriced POS that DTV refuses to get up to the times with.
    Yeah, I know about the hacks that take weeks to do. Problem is I have a life too.

8. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The long torture of learn & burn hacking are over - S2 DTivo hacks only take about 30-45 minutes these days... check out the Zipper, which adds these features. I just hacked a refurb S2 for my daughter-home-from-college and it only took about 35 minutes. Really.

9. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    If you use software such as screen reorder pro, you can record the streaming video. there are several applications that allow you to record to your drive streaming media. u use the area setting on the program and put a box around the viewing area only so you dont have the controls recorded.

10. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Correct, assuming you are both watching the output of the same device (tivo). The slingbox has 3 inputs. S-video, composite video, and rf coax with an internal tuner. If you have analog cable or ota, you can feed that directly to the sling tuner which is then independent. If you are using the output of a tivo, cable box, dvr, or whatever, then you are seeing the same output that the local user is seeing.

By design it is streaming only. Sling software does not have it's own capture/recording capability. Some people have done video capture/recording using other software. More info at sling community website.

Carl

11. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia
    if you would like to see a slingbox in action, you can PM here or at SLINGTALK.COM and I will gladly provide you with the ability to access my demo unit.

12. tvn

tvn New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm on my PowerBook (Apple) all day long, whether I am here or overseas. Will Slingbox work for me? Is it MAC-compatible?

13. barclay

barclay Dissenting Pebble

Feb 20, 2001
    Seattle
    Not yet. From Sling's website:

14. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Carl, make sure you have the latest version of the SlingBox software loaded on your PC. There we non-functional remote buttons (even some with the wrong functionality) on the next to the last version of the SlingPlayer.

15. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I'm current with 1.0.5.140. The "window", "exit", and "list" buttons are greyed out and not accessible on the graphic remote, however all functions are available from the drop down remote menu.

Carl

16. orome

orome Tribal Style

Dec 29, 2004
    Caversham...
    When this works with my Treo 650, I'll be dee-lighted.

17. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Yeah, I would absolutely love to have a Treo 650 player. But I highly doubt that we will ever see that happen. Many comments to this effect have been posted on the sling website, and to date, sling has had no comment or response, and they are normally very responsive.

Carl

18. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That is the version I have now also. I did have non-functioning buttons and even a few that did not perform the correct function, but it had all been correct with the latest release for the R15 and T-60 and Hughes DVR40 I own.

What DVR are you attempting to control?

19. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I have two R15's, and the remote/sling on those is perfect.

I have one R10, and that is the one where the peanut remote in the sling lacks the 3 buttons I mentioned.

I have tried a couple of different tivo based setups with the same result, but it really isn't a big deal for me, so I'm okay with it the way things are now.

Carl

20. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002

I would report the issue to SlingMedia and keep an eye on their web site for beta copies of their software. I used their last beta copy bugs and all for a few months until the software [the latest release] was released with the bugs fixed.

I noticed they only had one beta out their. I wish they had released updated the beta as bugs were fixed. I am a software developer so I understand the pros and cons of releasing updated beta software [such as keeping track of what release a bug is reported in number]. So I guess they must have a small group of testers that get more frequent updates.