1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlingBox is way cool for DirecTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by etavadia, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1 of 255
    etavadia

etavadia Member

Sep 11, 2003
    MI
    I recently purchased a SlingBox from Slingmedia. It's a little devise that net enables any a/V box. I decided to put it in front of my D* box. I'm now able to view and remotly manipulate my box from anywhere in the world. It basically hooks into your highspeed network at home. The output from your D* box (svideo or composite) go into the input of the slingbox. There's an iR extender that sits in front of your D* box as well. You install the software, give it your unique ID and password and wham! Instant Tivo on your laptop or computer anywhere, anytime. They have an extensive library of virtual remotes that lets you pick and choose your model.

How long until Hollywood shuts this cool company down!

ET

http://www.slingmedia.com/

2. Oct 3, 2005 #2 of 255
    IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Wow. This device sounds awesome. We currently have Road Runner, so if I read the the Slingbox information correctly, this will allow any PC in the house to access our Directv DVR and watch shows that are stored there?

3. Oct 3, 2005 #3 of 255
    7thton

7thton no, no, no.

Mar 3, 2005
    I think these are cool too, but 250.00 bucks is way too much.

4. Oct 3, 2005 #4 of 255
    IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Yeah..250 is a lot. I was just reading some more about the Slingbox and it can be tricky to install and will supposedly only work on Windows XP.

I read an article that made me laugh. Since you can access your tv remotely, you may try to watch a recorded show while someone at home is already watching something else, which might cause a lot of arguments LOL

5. Oct 3, 2005 #5 of 255
    cmtar

cmtar Long live the R15!!

Jan 26, 2005
  6. Oct 3, 2005 #6 of 255
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    My wife saw this on the program "I Want That..." the other night....

I just turned out the $250 price tag on it... and that was the end of the discussion.
    Very cool technology... and I am tech-geek... but... $250 (each) is just a bit too much.

Especially if I could simply hack up the DTivos (or DirecTV could turn it on... please), to get pretty much similar functionality.

7. Oct 3, 2005 #7 of 255
    AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston
    Would it be blocked by my companies firewall? This might be worth it to just to have Astros day games on while I work, especially with the playoffs starting

8. Oct 3, 2005 #8 of 255
    kensteele

kensteele New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Overland...
    Just like with any other piece of technology, there are ways to get that price down. I think when I first got it when it came out this summer, it was $199. A couple of discounts here and there and the price was reasonable.

The device is awesome. It will work on W2K machines but best on XP; no OSX. The video quality is very good and the setup is easy. I'm watching a program from my Tivo box right now while I am at work using a wireless data card right now. It is blocked by the firewall on the corporate LAN.

9. Oct 3, 2005 #9 of 255
    jtoeman

jtoeman Team Sling Media

Jul 8, 2005
    AstroDad,

While I can't say for certain, without having seen your company's firewall settings, I do know that many of our customers are using the Slingbox from corporate environments. Additionally, you are able to configure the Slingbox to stream from any port (including standard Web traffic). If you have any issues using standard ports, you can always ask your IT dept if there are any open ports for streaming media purposes.

Best,
    Jeremy

10. Oct 3, 2005 #10 of 255
    jtoeman

jtoeman Team Sling Media

Jul 8, 2005
    ebonovic,

The Slingbox does work with the directivo units, which is what I have at home.

Also, keep in mind that it's $250, but there are no monthly fees! Once you've bought it, you're done paying!

Best,
    Jeremy

11. Oct 3, 2005 #11 of 255
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Oh... it is not that it won't work with DirecTivo units....

It is just that I have 5 of them..... So 5x$250... :) adds up... Even on two of them (since I regularly use 4 tuners)... that is still $500.

VS: Cracking the shell of the DTivos and spending sometime to hack them. (My house is already wired for ethernet in every room, so the NICS would only be like $20)

12. Oct 3, 2005 #12 of 255
    tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    I purchased a Sling box on Thursday. It took about 20 minutes to configure. I steam my Tivo over Cingular’s network. I have an unlimited internet on my cell account. I am able to watch pretty much anywhere I am.

Very happy with my new Sling

13. Oct 3, 2005 #13 of 255
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Presumably you could only watch one at a time, so some creative wiring through an IR-controlled A/V switch to the slingbox should accomplish what you need.

14. Oct 3, 2005 #14 of 255
    alexcue

alexcue New Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Tujunga, CA
    I'll just add that the new Software/Firmware for the Slingbox allows the use of seperate hookups to the box. ie, you can hook up to 3 things seperately to the box and control them. I haven't quite mastered it, but your welcome to check it out at their www.slingcommunity.com site. btw, the three hookups are S-Video, then Composite, then Coax.

The newest beta firmware is also delivering even better speeds and picture quality is great.

15. Oct 3, 2005 #15 of 255
    cmtar

cmtar Long live the R15!!

Jan 26, 2005
    They still open since BBB kicked them out? lol

16. Oct 3, 2005 #16 of 255
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    True.... I am sure I could find a way to get it all wired up...

Maybe if the R15 hits the floor, and HMC is too far out there....

I am going to have to do something.....

17. Oct 3, 2005 #17 of 255
    V Funk

V Funk New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I looove the SlingBox. The only tricky part is when controlling my DTivo remotely, coming out of a fast-forward to the right spot seems impossible. But that's completely minor the price tag was justifiable for me. And they are constantly coming out with software/firmware upgrades...hopefully that pace can keep up.

18. Oct 3, 2005 #18 of 255
    alexcue

alexcue New Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Tujunga, CA
    You know the 30 second skip when activated works great 5 or 6 blips and i'm usually right on depending on the programming, much better than fast forward.

19. Oct 3, 2005 #19 of 255
    tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    It was a surprise to me that the BBB kicked them out. I guess if I ever have to complain about my streaming video over their network I am SOL

20. Oct 3, 2005 #20 of 255
    etavadia

etavadia Member

Sep 11, 2003
    MI
    Couple of points. If you have 5 Tivo units, I'm assuming you're recording the same shows on them and just having the convenience of viewing them anywhere. Therefore, the Slingbox is really need on one unit. I have three Tivo boxes but bought one Slingbox and it put it on my most used unit. The setup is ridiculously easy. I opened up a single port on my router and it was literally up and running in 15 minutes from the time I opened the box to the time I was viewing my Tivo from my computer. The 30 sec skip forward works awesome as well. It's just having the convenience of having you Tivo virtual anytime virtually anywhere.

Compusa had a deal where you buy a Slingbox and get two Netgear Powerline adapters for free. I ended up selling the Netgear adapters for $90 which helped to justify buying the Slingbox.

Take care
    ET