1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox and a TiVo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have 2 TiVo Premieres with Comcast cable cards. All is working good and overall am pleased with the Premieres. I saw the announcement of the upcoming TiVo IP set top boxes. I was excited cause have been looking for a solution to get cable TV down to some basement TVs and thought this would be the solution. However, I am now reading that these IP set top boxes will only work with the 4 tuner Elite/XL4 and not my 2 tuner Premieres. BUMMER!!!!

Therefore, I thought about possibly getting a slingbox and investigate if there is maybe a way to use this device to get cable programming to my additional TVs. Plus, I would be able to watch a Premiere (live or recorded shows) when away from home. I also realize that with a Slingbox connected to a TiVo, if I change channels or play back recorded shows, it will affect the viewing of that particular TiVo.

Basically, is there any way of watching slingbox material to additional TVs in the house?

2. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    Yes, There are several way to watch Slingbox on your TV. The original way was the Slingcatcher but it is not sold anymore but can be found used on eBay.
    The other option according to sling website are Logitech Revue, Boxee Box and the Western Digital Live TV media player. I have only used the Slingcatcher but it worked well.

3. Mgalin

Mgalin New Member

Jan 6, 2002

Option B: Analog Component RGB to Cat 5E balnus, some cat5e/6e cable and an IR repeater :) Let us know if you need some 'links' to some of these.

M

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I might be interested in option B, but after trying to find some stuff on Google, I'm not sure its the most cost effective solution. Is this a more expensive way to go over the Slingcatcher, Boxee or WD devices (possibilities I'm considering)? Is there any real advantage of this method over the previously mentioned ones?

5. poofy

poofy New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Option C

Switch to your local cable company "whole house DVR" if they offer one.
    You will pay for one DVR and can get set top boxes (usually free) on other TV's that can also control the DVR and watch different channels on other TV's.