1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Remote BT dongle

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Surrealone, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Does my Roamio even need the BT USB dongle that comes with the slide remote?

2. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    If you want to use the Slide and get the benefit of BT....Yes.

3. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    the slide remote does RF?

4. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    The slide remote will work without the bluetooth dongle, however it will only use IR. To use bluetooth, the dongle is still required.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You have to use the dongle for the keyboard anyway. The main control buttons are transmitted as both IR and BT, but the keyboard is BT only.

The RF used by the Roamio remote is not the same as the BT used by the Slide, so they are not interchangeable. There is a rumor of a new slide coming for the Roamio. It's possible it could use the built in RF rather then a BT dongle.

6. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Thanks Dan.
    I hope the new slide will support BT RF and IR. But the current slide is IR and the BT is for keyboard. Got it. :)

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 13
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not quite. When the dongle is connected everything is BT. If you disconnect the dongle the remote will revert to IR mode and the basic commands will still work. You can tell which mode it's in because when it's in BT mode the little LED blinks blue when you press a button and when it's in IR mode it blinks red.

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 13
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Clarifiction (Dan I know you know this, but wanted to make sure Surrealone understood): When the dongle is connected everything sent to the TiVo is BT. The remote still sends IR commands (power, volume, etc) to your TV and/or receiver.

9. Sep 5, 2013 #9 of 13
    miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I noticed that my slider remote is using IR. Is there a way to force it to use BT?

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's been a while but I think there is a pairing ritual. I think there is a little button on the BT dongle and for the remote I think you hold TiVo & D until it starts searching. I think there is a document on the TiVo support if I'm wrong.

11. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Tivo + B. B for Bluetooth, and it's a blue button. (Makes it easy to remember)

12. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    In rare instances, you may find your remote in infrared-only mode even though the USB receiver is plugged into the TiVo box. In this case, you will need to enable Bluetooth manually. Simply press and hold the TiVo button and the B button simultaneously until the remote’s activity indicator light starts blinking blue. Then press and hold the button on the USB receiver until its LED starts blinking. When pairing is successful, the remote’s activity indicator light will blink rapidly five times and then go off.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So close. :)