1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Pro Remotes back in stock

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmilender, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jmilender

jmilender New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Just went on TiVo.com and Slide Pro remotes are back in stock. Had to pay the $9.00 for shipping though.

2. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    What's the difference between the two? Does the non Roamio include the dongle while the Roamio version doesn't?

3. jmilender

jmilender New Member

Apr 29, 2003
  4. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Cool, been watching the old version on eBay and almost bought a used one for more! I just got one.

The eBay sellers that have the old ones aren't going to like this!

5. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Oh man I called Tivo to change my order as I wanted to add a glow remote to the order I just placed and didn't want to pay shipping twice. After waiting and being put on hold, they couldn't but then told me if I ordered the glow with shipping, they would give me credit for a month service on my Roamio so then after waiting longer to do that, the customer rep came back and said "ah heck, this is getting complicated, let me just send you a glow remote for free".

Sweet! I'm getting the new slide and a new glow remote for the price of the slide!

6. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Just got four of them. Also returned an extra regular Roamio remote I'd ordered, after finding out it can't learn IR for my Denon AVR input command.

7. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    The old ones are bluetooth, have the old button layout and the backlight can be turned off.
    The new ones are RF, have the new button layout and the backlight cannot be turned off.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Glow remote is now selling for the same price as the standard one ($30) and has learning capabilities.

9. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    Weaknees had them previously for $59.99, though they're coming back in stock today and they're $79.99. So, the Tivo deal seems like the best option for now, even with non-free shipping.

I'm not sure how people are randomly getting free shipping on the remote, either. Seems to come and go on that being free shipping.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    How does the remote that comes with the Roamio Pro communicate with the Roamio TiVo?

11. LoPan12

LoPan12 New Member

Jan 31, 2014
    ...If I order a Premiere version (with dongle), think I can pair the Slide Pro with my Roamio, and then pair my Roamio Remote with my Premiere using the dongle? The Slide and Regular remotes are put into pairing mode the same way...so....guess we'll see! I just ordered the dongle version (that just sounds odd) since it's the same price, and same remote...

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    RF, no dongle required. Although I would recommend ordering the one with dongle anyway if you have any Premiere units or Minis since the dongle can be used to pair the original Roamio remote to those units as well.

Yes you can.

13. humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Here's how I got it:
    Back in January, I tried to order the Slide Pro on tivo.com, but when I added it to the cart I was turned off by the $9 shipping, so I abandoned the site.

Next morning I get an email from TiVo with the subject line: "I'm here for you, whenever you're good and ready!", and in the body:
    "Looks like you left an item or two in your cart on tivo.com. Let’s go back to your cart and finish your order. Or you can call 877-289-8486 to complete your purchase. You’ll enjoy free shipping and a 30-day, money-back guarantee on your order."

So I called TiVo and gave them the story of my shipping sticker shock and how I would like to apply the free shipping in the email, but I don't know how. Went back and forth with the CSR who also couldn't figure out how to apply the free shipping. So we did an order with the promise that I would get the shipping charge credited back to my card within 10 business days. And sure enough they came through with the refund in a little over a week.

Pretty sure the free shipping in the email was intended for a box purchase, but who's complaining. :)

14. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Ordered mine last night. Can't wait to have an RF remote on the Premiere! No more reaching out from under the blankets in the cold basement to skip commercials!

15. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'll have to give that a try, as I did abandon the Slide Remote Pro w/dongle in the cart. Everytime I did go back to the cart on Tivo.com, the item was gone. Maybe if that happens and I re-add the Slide Remote Pro, it'll allow for free shipping. Otherwise, it'll be CSR roulette to see if they honor the free shipping off of the email.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A Snuggie would have been cheaper. ;)

17. MARKPIE

MARKPIE New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I liked my Snuggie so much I married her. Ordered mine yesterday and am anxious to see if it will tie in all my A/V equipment. Currently using 3 remotes to get things done. :thumbsdown:

18. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Since I got my Roamio with it's RF remote, i do the same under the blanket but just was reluctant to mention such. Now if I can just stop the habit of pointing the remote towards the Tivo I will be in good shape!

Somewhat off subject, While the old slide was marketed as a Bluetooth remote, does anyone know if the new slide technically uses the same for RF communications?

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The new one is NOT Bluetooth. It uses a proprietary RF protocol.

20. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    I did a little research though the FCC website and found my answer, the old slide uses Bluetooth as its described, the newer pro version while it uses the similar RF frequency, it does not support Bluetooth. While it uses the 2.4ghz range it doesn't comply with Bluetooth and uses a radio module made by a company called "Remote Solution" (using Q-QPSk modulation for you tech nerds). The radio module Btw in the Roamio plus/pro appears to be a small USB card that plugs into the plus/pro main board but the same function is built into the main board of the Roamio basic, this means the remote control radio on the higher end models of the Roamio can be fixed or upgraded down the road.

I'm only interested as I picked up a couple of the old slide remotes but I didn't get the Bluetooth dongles with them so I have been looking the the dongle, I may call Tivo if I don't have any luck but I'm hoping I can find a usb Bluetooth dongle that uses the broadcom bcm92070 Chipset which should work in the tivo.

Btw - anyone know of anything new coming from Tivo this late winter or early spring? FCC has an application filing for an additional RF USB dongle, it's closed for public review until April 2014 which usually implies it's a new product that hasn't been released yet. It might be something related to the existing RF remote control or perhaps a yet newer one? It's called a "Q2 Dongle", part number EC40A but no additional info is public. Given the relative low price of the Slide Pro remote, I wonder if there is new remote control coming out?