1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM or SWiM) and RCA DVR40 DirecTiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Marco, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    DirecTV is telling me that my DVR40 DTiVo will "not work at all" if I take their Whole Home DVR system, which includes a switch to the single wire multiswitch.

I'm seeing stuff like this on the internet: http://www.swm8.com/swm-faq.php

which seems to say that the single wire multiswitch (the SWM8) comes with 3 "legacy ports."

That seems pretty clear, and yet DirecTV is telling me it can't work. I'd like to keep my upgraded DVR40 for its huge SD program capacity.

Were the customer service reps right, or were they underinformed, as I suspect?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DirecTV would install a "SWMline-3" dish with integrated SWM. This won't work with your DVR40. You are correct that if instead you used a SWM8 module and a regular dish with four outputs, then there are three legacy ports that could feed the DVR40. However, those are not available from DirecTV - you'd have to buy it separately and install it yourself.

If you're interested in a SWM8 module, I have one I am no longer using that I'll sell for $75 plus shipping.

I am not sure what DirecTV would do for you here. You need a regular multisat dish, not one with a SWM LNB.

3. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Really? They're going to go up on my roof, even though I have an existing setup?

4. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It depends - what kind of dish do you have now?

I think that for "whole house" installs, DirecTV insists on a SWM setup. Since they don't provide SWM modules separately, the options are limited.

5. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    I appreciate that you are trying to help. On the other hand, I see that one can buy new SWM8s via Amazon for around $55 including shipping.

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No problem. You will also need a power inserter.

7. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Called DirecTV back.

The tech says they will not be installing a new dish, and that the installer will be bringing an SWM16. (Which has four legacy ports.)

AND she still says my DirecTiVo is not compatible and they would swap it out. (Yeah, when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.)

Wednesday morning should be interesting.

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Believe it (installer bringing a SWM16) when you see it... If they do, it will be the first I've heard of.

9. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Same for me. They havent used the SWM 8 and 16 in a long time. Everything now is Built in SWM on the LNB and split after the fact

10. 55tbird

55tbird New Member

Jun 24, 2007

F.Y.I. Just to let you know last month I upgraded to a HR34 and 2 HR24s and they sent out tech with new SL5 (4 output) dish and a SWM16. I already had 5 DTivos and I'm now running 2 of the 5 DTivos (retired 2 of them) with the HR34 and 2 HR24s (9 tuners not counting the 4 legacys) with Whole Home authorized and working great (on the 3 HRs).

So the DTivos being not compatible is bogus. You just have to use the legacy ports. However w/the upgrade to 6.4a the 2 Tivos don't have the multiroom function anymore.

11. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    SWM16, yo. Mounted on the outside of my house.

[​IMG]

Legacy ports in use there at upper left. :)

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Congratulations!

13. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Whoo-hoo, DirecTV actually did what I asked!

Thanks to stevel and other posters for their help with this. :up:

14. 55tbird

55tbird New Member

Jun 24, 2007

Good for you.... At least you had them bring you a SWM16 so you also have your legacy equipment working as well. That's 2 of us and I'm sure there are more of us out there as well.

But it shouldn't be so difficult or rare that customers get what they need.