1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simpsons 1/29/06 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Jan 30, 2006.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    We rarely ever watch new Simpson's episodes anymore. And when we do, we usually regret it. Last night was no exception.

After a lousy couch gag (which ran way too long--a sign of things to come), we get a decent little opening bit, which quickly deteriorates into an absolutely terrible show. Yet again, we get to see two or three gags that are done for WAY too long--Bart pushing the car back down onto the road while it teeters over the cliff was kinda funny the first time--after the 10th we were ashamed we hadn't turned it off. And ending it with Lisa and Maggie being the only ones left at home, and Lisa giving that heart wrenching "I guess I'll go find a job tomorrow" line? You never end an episode of a sitcom with the viewers feeling sad--sure they might have been going for a joke, but they didn't pull it off...

That'll teach us to watch any new Simpsons ever again...

2. bidger

bidger New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I've adjusted my expectations of new Simpsons eps and I didn't think this one was bad at all. I enjoyed the sight gag of Homer driving through the clover leaf saying, "I bet this looks cool from overhead".

3. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    That was funny, but like most of the other gags on the episode, it went on WAY too long. Unfortunately, I see this on a lot of comedy these days--TV and Movies (and what little standup I ever see, as well). Take something that actually gets a laugh, and just repeat it over and over again until people are absolutely sick of it.

4. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    Running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable but then back to funny works on Family Guy but it just seems so out of place on the Simpsons.

5. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    The line at the end where Lisa was listening to the messages and Homer calls from the Nevada state pen and says, "Oh, and I don't know where Bart is. If you see him, tell him I said hi," had me laughing out loud. The rest of the show sucked.

6. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    definitly agree. I was like, yes we get it, get on with it.

It started out with potential but turned into meh.

7. canyonero!

canyonero! Weak. Powerful Weak

Apr 24, 2002
    Minneapolis, MN
    That was my exact thought when Ned was singing that song for such a long time.

8. sschwart

sschwart It sucks to be me

Apr 4, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Of course, running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable was being done on the Simpsons before Family Guy. I refer you to the Simpsons episode (hold please, looking up info..) "Two dozen and one greyhounds", and Homer trying to eat the pork rinds. They had the entire bag eaten by those puppies.. one at a time. And that was season 2 of the simpsons... Well before FG started.

9. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Well it had it's moments. Homer destroying the "Birthplace of Matt Groenig" made me laugh. I guess we now know that Springfield is not in Oregon, which fans of the show have always suspected. I think it has to be Illinois now, right? I also give mad props for not pressing the reset button at the end. Lisa's situation was hilarious-- Marge in jail, Homer in jail, Bart missing, and Maggie just sitting in her high chair.

10. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Nope, can't be Illinois since they often talk about Capital City. Since Springfield is the capital of Illinois that leaves us out.

11. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    For the record, that episode was in season 6 or 7, just before the Who Shot Mr. Burns episode.

And I still say Springfield's in Kentucky.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought it was just an average episode but I'll agree with doom that the car teetering over the cliff thing went on way too long. The cloverleaf and Flander's song didn't bother me, but the car was stupid.

13. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    There's never been a mention that "Capital City" is actually in the same state as Springfield, though.

The point has always been and always will be, "You'll never know what state it's in," and this episode did nothing to change that.

14. sschwart

sschwart It sucks to be me

Apr 4, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    You're right. I got confused when I looked up the episode and it started with a 2, and just immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was a 2nd season episode. Still, it predates family guy.

15. Bardman

Bardman Member

Aug 25, 2002
    Glassboro, NJ
    I can't believe everyone forgot "Stupid Horse, can't you read? It says "Deer Crossing". Bart, wipe off the windshield and let's go"

16. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Very few Simpsons episodes let me down. This one didn't either. I almost always laugh at several things in an episode, and did this time too.

Biggest laugh came when Marge held up Homer's book reviews of "Stuart Little", and then his power-point presentation on "Mice driving cars: a growing problem?" (don't remember the exact wording, but similar). :D:D:D

Anyone who complains that Simspons jokes run too long must not have paid attention before.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I love new Simpsons Episodes. I love OLD Simpsons episodes too. This one was funny in some great spots - nobody is mentioning the Yard sale? oh my. The key to the sewers? Duct tape on Bart? oh yes! And the final shot of Lisa listening to the tapes. It was a classic.
    I must say I did find myself thinking the teetering car scene went on too long, but then I went on to watch Stan from American Dad drive around a parking lot too long....so I figure its a comedy thing.
    I can't say this is their best, but at least they have a couple story lines going on as they used to and then seemed to stop for awhile. I am glad to see it back.

18. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Also, they drove past Mt. Rushmore on the way to Oregon, and Minnesota is one of the only States where it would make sense to go through South Dakota on the way to Oregon.

19. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Yea, I felt the same way. I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to stop, then there was the scene with Bart and the car teetering on the cliff. A pretty bad episode, and more proof that the Simpson's should have ended years ago. I did enjoy Homer driving through Matt's "house" though.

20. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    That was great! Loved it.