1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver Sensor antennas

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Scott D, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1 of 33
    Scott D

Scott D New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    I live in the Houston area (Pasadena) and I was wondering if this antenna would also pick up ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS channels as well as UHF channels or am I going to have to get a bigger outside antenna of some kind.

By the way. The current outdoor antenna is about 17 years old.

2. Dec 7, 2005 #2 of 33
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Here are a couple of resources ....

* http://www.antennaweb.org will tell you if this antenna is suitable for your area

* http://www.avsforum.com Look in the Local HDTV Reception Forum and find the thread for your nearest city(s) to see what antennas work well for folks in your area.

3. Dec 7, 2005 #3 of 33
    Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    There is no easy answer unless you are oviously too far away for an indoor antenna. Even if you are close, your house/wall construction can have a big impact. I have had good luck in the past with the Silver Sensor and would recommend it. However, your best bet would be to just pick one up (where they have a return policy) and try it.

4. Dec 7, 2005 #4 of 33
    silverstreak

silverstreak New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I just tried my local Sears. They actually use it in the store, and the salesperson raved about it. But, they no longer sell it! They sell RCA ANT 525 and 585.
    Will these work?
    Otherwise, who else sells Zentith Silver Sensors?

5. Dec 7, 2005 #5 of 33
    daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast
    I bought mine @ buy.com for $22. If you are using for OTA HDTV tuner, it is usually awesome for 30 miles or less... but if towers are in completely different locations you gotta be around to move it. This means HD DVR's will not get channels to record if SS is pointed the wrong way in this scenario.

Yahoo shopping has for 20... definately worth it: http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_y...NjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=silver+sensor&did=

6. Dec 7, 2005 #6 of 33
    Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    I had picked mine up at The Good Guys if you have one in your area.

7. Dec 7, 2005 #7 of 33
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
  8. Dec 7, 2005 #8 of 33
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
  9. Dec 7, 2005 #9 of 33
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    No I mean if you try a channel above 6, (meaning 7 (VHF) or higher), it will give
    poor responce.

10. edc

edc New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The short answer is "try it." I'm in the Astrodome area, and a Silver Sensor works fine. Speaking in generalities, in Houston, if you can get a good signal one of them, you should be able to at least receive all of them, with the possible exception of PBS.

11. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    That's odd. In my experience most UHF antennas (14-69) will pull-in VHF channels 7-13 fairly well, although the higher ones (8-13) are usually better.

12. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    That may have been true at one time, however since the FCC has mandated that
    stations remap to the actual station I.D. nbrs instead of one that used the UHF
    freq., that is no longer the case...I own this antenna, and can tell you that any
    channel above the freq. of ch6, will be very poor reception.

13. drjjr

drjjr New Member

May 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I live in the 249/1960 area by HP and a Silver Sensor in my attic with no amp pulls in all of the channels just fine. Including PBS (channel 9) with no problems. I did have to experiment with a good location up there for a while.

14. bigpuma

bigpuma Active Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I use a silver sensor to pull in HD locals, I get channel 12 without a problem, which is the only HD channel in the VHF range in my area.

15. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis

Wow, are you confused. The channel number that a station is remapped to has NOTHING to do with the type of antenna that you use to pick it up. To receive the actual channel that the station broadcasts its digital station on you need to have an antenna that is appropriate for the channel they broadcast on. For example, in my area channels 2, 4, 5, 9 and 11 all broadcast their digital channel in the UHF band. I tested a silver sensor which worked great for me and I'm 16 miles away in a one story house. For example the Silver Sensor picks up digital channel 34, which is remapped to channel 2.1.

16. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    First, try your existing out door antenna. If it works fairly well for the analog channels it should work well for the digital channels. There is no such thing as an HD antenna. I had a 20 year old Channel Master U/V antenna on my roof and it got great reception for all analog and digital channels. I have since removed it because a small antenna in my garage attic provides a strong signal on the digital channels. Since I didn't need a roof top antenna anymore, I removed it.

17. Frostbyte

Frostbyte New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm in Spring, TX and I'm picking up the Houston stations with a Silver Sensor just fine. I'm about 35 miles away from the source and I believe you would be even closer in Pasadena. I picked mine up at the local Frys.

18. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TN...
    I'm tempted to pick up a Silver Sensor. I've read a ton of reviews online and they all have good things to say about it. I currently have a Radio Shack antenna 15-1878. It does good. I get 75%-85% on all local HD channels except for one which I can not receive. I wonder if the Silver Sensor would pick it up.

19. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I have the silver sensor and I added the radio shack amplifier and it improved the reception about 10 - 20 on the HDTV scale which resulted in less loss of picture. Most are now at 95 and my worst went from 20 to 65.