1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Strength question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mbergen, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mbergen

mbergen New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Hi. I just set up my Tivo Friday. I have a multidirectional antenna that I first purchased when I was setting up Directv years ago and no local channels were available. Using that antenna, the best signal I can get on the lowest signal channel that I need to get is in the 60's - most of the rest are in the upper 90's. Is a signal in the 60's likely to give me a stable picture?

This is with the antenna sitting on the TV. I tried mounting it to the front of the house and the signal was worse. My only other choice is to go up to the roof, and I think I might need to get another antenna to do that because I can't see how you'd mount this one to a chimney - it's got three holes that seem as if the only thing you can do is mount to a wall - I've got a one story house so that's not all that high up.

I have a fear of heights, but don't have a real big problem going up there - it's not that high from the porch to the roof where the chimney is - I just wonder if the 60's should be adequate to get a good picture.

I should mention I'm splitting the signal through my receiver to 4 other TVs, which worked fine with my directv. I have no HDTV, but am using the HD Tivo because I got rid of my Directv at least to see if I can live without it, and the digital channel quality is so much better than the analog and there are more of them.

Meg

2. wedenton

wedenton Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Well, I guess the question is DOES the 60's channel give you a stable picture? In my location, I have found that what is more important than channel strenght is a consistent signal. If the signal is stable and only fluctuates a point or two every now and then, you should be OK. If the signal strenght changes every few seconds, or rises and drops over a wide range, you may get periods of macro-blocking. Most of my channels are in the upper 60's to upper 70's, and I get a great picture on all but one.

3. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    For my channels, the threshold seems to be a signal strength of 62, that's on an SD channel but I don't know if that makes a difference.

4. mbergen

mbergen New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I'm thinking I may replace the antenna - I turned on the tv and today there was no signal on PBS (the weaker station) until I moved the antenna around and now it's back to around 60 and fine. That's ok if I'm there watching, but not when I am trying to record. At least if it's outside it wouldn't be as likely to get accidently moved so that I'm getting no picture.

Meg