1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Disappearing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jpscratches, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jpscratches

jpscratches New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    This happened for the first time two days ago and it's since happened three times. Turn on AV receiver and TV (Tivo stays on, obviously) and see a blank screen.

Two different scenarios:

1. Blank screen, no signal on either cable or antenna (I have both) and no response from remote. No remote signal acknowledged by Tivo (yellow light).

2. Blank screen, no signal on either cable or antenna and remote responds. Can go to recorded shows and playback but going back to live cable or antenna yields nothing.

3. Witnessed the unit reboot on its own during recording last night.

Replaced the HD several months ago with no problems. A couple of the capacitors show bulging but I've not experience spontaneous reboots since the HD was replaced.

Advice is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with faint-to-strong praise if it turns out to be valuable. Will not slag anyone venturing a guess that doesn't help. :D

Thanks in advance,
  2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Bulging caps mean fix it before doing anything else. Either replace the caps or the power supply. This can cause all kinds of erratic behavior.

Another thing: Some flat panel TV's radiate an excess of IR when first turned on, which will swamp the remote response (no amber response light). This happens with my Samsung 40" LCD. This also can happen if the TV is warmed up but sits for a few seconds with a completely blank (black) screen, in which case I have to turn the TV off to regain Tivo remote control.