1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Amplifier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jdaniels1982, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jdaniels1982

jdaniels1982 New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I recently hooked up a 15db Motorolla Signal Amp that I purchased on Amazon in order to fix ongoing pixelation issues on my Tivo XL.

In the first 2 days since installing the signal amp, the cablecard has unbinded from the tivo several times. Am I doing something wrong...the signal amp is bi-directional, so if the cablecard should be able to talk to cablevision no problem.

Could the amp be too powerful?

I called cablevision (didn't tell them about the amp) and they rebinded it no problem

Anyone have any advice?
  2. MeInDallas

MeInDallas New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Check the Tivo diagnostic screen and see how high your signal levels are. If they are pegged right at 100 then you might need to put an attenuator on to bring it down a bit.
  3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    It is kinda like this? I use one too with 4 ports.

Attached Files:

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    Cheap signal splitters can be tried as an attenuator. Any attenuator that you try should be put between the amp and the TV. Also, is there any possibility that the amp you got is sending a DC signal on the middle conductor? I'm assuming that the amp is one that plugs into the wall and not just an inline one that requires a DC voltage on the cable to operate.
  5. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Have the cable company check the signal and lines into your house. Signal problems pixalization/strengh are usually the problem of the cable company, so the cable cards unbinding are most likely their problem

Unless you have long runs or split the signal multiple times, I wouldn't think you would have a need for a signal booster.

I had pixalzion problems and the cable company claimed the signal was fine. After putting up with the problem for three months I called again and this time the service technician checked the line from the pole to the house and found that squirrels had chewed on the line. He replaced the line from the pole to the house and everything was fixed.