1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

<Sigh> Tivo Desktop Plus Transfers Fail

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by slacker9876, Jan 20, 2013.

1. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    So now that I got the software installed and upgraded to TiVo Desktop Plus I have learned that I cannot actually use the software to transfer recordings to my PC.

I set the PBS series Frontline for automatic transfer and logged in this morning expecting to see my fresh mp4 files transferred and converted. Yeah, no such luck.

So I learned the hard way that calling TiVo Support (Center Partners) is not the way to go because whether or not TiVo failed to train them or CP inadequately conveys training I could not say, but I have learned this is where I need to come to solve my problems with TiVo. Well, at least gripe about them. :rolleyes:

So I rebooted the PC and TiVo still got no joy, so I decided to dig a little deeper. I took a tcpdump of the connection to see that Tivo was resetting all the connections immediately after SSL change cipher spec is sent, then RST / FINs. This left me saying WTF so I sent to the logs.

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 503 (failed on service availability)
    and
    HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required (TiVo is NTLM)

Then it hits me ... this is a new WINDOWS computer build!!! I launched services.msc and disabled Windoze Firewall and stopped the service. Just then ...

HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required
    Server: tivo-httpd-1:20.2.2.1-01-2:746
    Set-Cookie: sid=REMOVED; path=/; expires="Saturday, 16-Feb-2013 00:00:00 GMT";
    WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="TiVo DVR", nonce="REMOVED", qop="auth"
    Content-Length: 31
    Content-Type: text/html
    Connection: keep-alive
    Keep-Alive: max=10, timeout=30

HTTP/1.1 200 File Follows
    Server: tivo-httpd-1:20.2.2.1-01-2:746
    Content-Type: video/x-tivo-mpeg
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    TiVo-Estimated-Length: 4624220160
    Connection: close

The data started to move!!! Yea!!!

There are two morals to this story:
    1) Microsoft still sucks and you should not rely on them for security, even though it worked here.
    2) TiVo should stick to Linux code since they apparently cannot do something as simple as adding a Windoze firewall rule to allow their software to function out of the box.

TiVo, I hope your listening here:
    Please release TiVo Desktop Plus compiled in .deb and .rpm. You're Linux and should be "Linux Proud!" It is not right to expect users to have to do what I did. I only have this Windoze computer because I don't trust your code on my Mac. I saved the tcpdump if you're interested...

TRAIN AND PAY your support staff!!! They are good people and deserve to be knowledgeable! As a high level support person myself I can promise you this works. If you want the model let me know via PM and I am happy to show you where this is working. Props on keeping them in America, this makes you better than most.

I hope this saves someone an hour of their life.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There are a number of TCP/UDP ports that need to be open to Tivo Desktop/plus for it to operate in the Windows firewall.

3. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    ... And they should all be added to WFW by the installer :)

Not that they are entirely to blame, Active Directory can not be replicated between windows servers out of the box. uTorrent seems to be just fine and do other applications that need ports open.

I use pfSense so I don't need it and consider is SOP to disable the windows version.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You totally missed the most important lesson:

Don't use TiVo Desktop.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Why would they want your tcpdump when you already figured out that the problem was that you had the firewall on? :confused:

6. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    So they can see what they broke, and how.

7. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    Well until I get a 2TB from the office I am stuck with it, I am only upgrading once. After all the customary hacks are enabled ... I won't.

8. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    Oh I see what you're saying "you had the firewall on"

Good coders code to end users needs, not to "well they should be able to figure this out." While most people here are not running WFW, the ones that don't probably have no idea they have a firewall. The expectation is that the software works.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What has that got to do with the choice to run TD as opposed to pyTivo & kmttg?

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    The Desktop installer adds the necessary exceptions to Windows Firewall, but I've seen it get the scope wrong.