1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigh. NBA Playoffs. Guide never up to date

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by moyekj, Apr 28, 2012.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Sigh. Every year it's the same thing. The NBA playoffs arrive, the league announces the playoff schedules, zap2it.com for my zip code shows the correct games, yet TiVo guide data simply shows generic information even after connecting umpteen times. Have to go look up the schedule and use Manual Record By Time to schedule the first few games to record like in the VCR days.
    Would be nice 1 year if guide listings would actually update in a timely manner...

And of course just as I start this thread I tried 1 more net connect and the guide finally has the data about 30 minutes before the 1st game I want to record. Better late than never I guess.

2. Shogun82

Shogun82 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    States
    Interesting, thanks for the heads up...

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Guide data from any source is rarely up to date when it comes to any sort of playoff series in professional sports, especially if there's only a couple of days between the end of one series and the beginning of the next. They'll usually list is as a divisional playoff, but the teams involved are still unknown at the time it's published. Check the league schedule on their website and set up a manual recording if necessary. You can't rely on guide data unless Zap2It or other guide supplier has enough lead-time to get it incorporated into the published schedule.

4. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Yeah, I set a recording based on the generic data which had the wrong start time. I was away from home when the game was scheduled to air. Tivo connected 30 minutes before the start time and received the correct data. Well the Tivo perceived the new data as a totally different show and cancelled my old recording and did NOT record the "new" show. In the todo list it is listed as "show not recorded because it on longer appears in guide".
    Thanks Tivo!

5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    But somehow the cable company manages to get it updated in the guide THEIR set-top boxes use. :mad:

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That's probably because they're updating it themselves and not relying on a 3rd party like Zap2it. Tivo doesn't actually charge you for the guide data, only the software that allows you to use it. My WMC PC also uses Zap2it as the guide data source, but I don't have to pay extra for the privilege of being able to record shows with it.;)

7. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    NHL guide data has been pretty good so far in the playoffs.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    NBA has been too for me. Only one game had listed the teams as TBA. Considering their was only one off day between the last regular season game and the start of the playoffs, I think the guide data has been pretty good for the NBA Playoffs.

9. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Its up to date on my tivo!

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Exactly. The lousy cable-co DVR (or non-DVR boxes) have more up to date listings than TiVo for this kind of thing...

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Charter doesn't. They use Tribune for many of their boxes so they are the same. And for the NBA playoffs the guide data has been really good on my TiVos.

12. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    to make things worse tivo thinks verizon fios deleted TNT HD! now i cant get any guide data at all! so u cant set my tivos to record any nba games on TNT!

13. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Noticed here tonight as well. Couldn't find TNTHD anywhere in my channel guide. Was pretty sure I'd viewed it recently. (This is a new Premiere)

At any rate, I went in and checked it in channel settings, but it's also not giving me any guide data.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's because the cablecard sees the channel but it doesn't exist in the Tribune lineup. You should report it to TiVo (or Tribune) to add it back.

15. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Thanks.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    And of course no sign of tonight's or tomorrow's games in the listings. Manual recordings here we come again...

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    This will always happen towards the end of each round. TNT/ESPN doesn't know which games they are showing until 24-48 hours before hand depending on who is eliminated.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The fact is that zap2it.com for my zip code has had proper listings for over 24 hours now yet TiVo doesn't even after forced net connections last night and this morning. The lag is just too long between when zap2it is updated and TiVo gets updated listings. It's been this way for years... this is just a venting thread more than anything. TiVo database should have a "mini-update" every day in addition to a "full update" to catch changes within the last 48 hours in a more timely fashion.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So TiVo doesn't pay anything to Tribune Media Services? Ever?

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They pay per subscriber to Tribune. And certainly part of TiVo subscriptions pay for the fee.