1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siberia Season 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scsiguy72, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1 of 93
    scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Did anyone even see this? I heard nothing about it until the day before it aired. I recorded it to see if I would be at all interested.

Really slow, and pretty boring. It's a drama, disguised as a reality survival show. In the first episode, something goes horribly wrong and the show producers have to decide if the winter long "survival experiment" will continue.

Pretty much a train wreak I doubt I will be in for the whole season

2. Jul 4, 2013 #2 of 93
    Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I watched it too. I had NO idea what it was before watching, but figured out pretty quick that it was scripted. The "loner" guy's actions cued me in, but then the "model" telling the other girls that she wasn't sleeping on the floor sealed it for me.

Not much else on right now - I'll give it another episode before deciding.

ETA: For it to be a scripted show, the acting is really bad.

3. Jul 4, 2013 #3 of 93
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I caught the preview. I had not heard of this before, and originally thought it was a reality show, but figured out pretty quickly that it was a drama pretending to be a reality show. With this frame of mind, I can overlook the awkward acting/improv bits by the various stereotypical characters and am willing to suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy this concept.

I felt a Blairwitch vibe when they initially introduced the idea of the missing campers/settlers from years earlier.

I intend to explore the Dyatlov Pass incident from 1959. Eerie stuff ... hoax or reality ... to get in the mood for "Siberia" ...

4. Jul 5, 2013 #4 of 93
    Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Went into it blind... thought it was a legit survivalist reality show. However, as soon as they had the shot of the viking chick taking a different route in the woods and that guy following her it really broke the suspension of disbelief.

At camp, I was getting a Dharma Initiative vibe. I'll stick around for a couple more episodes to see if it gets better.

5. Jul 5, 2013 #5 of 93
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Too much "reality," not enough drama. I'll give it another week, but I get the feeling you have to like "reality" shows to like this.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #6 of 93
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Not sure if I will even watch the 2nd ep.

7. Jul 5, 2013 #7 of 93
    DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I don't know, I kind of liked it. It combines the "found footage" gimmick with Survivor, with a little LOST mixed in, all things I like. It also comes off as sort of a parody of reality shows, though I'm not sure if that was intentional. For me, I think when things go haywire and the show gets all LOST-like, it's going to be more of a comedy than something truly creepy, though again I'm not sure if that will be intentional.

8. Jul 5, 2013 #8 of 93
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    This is the worst-acted show I've ever seen. Clearly scripted.

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 93
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I thought this was a bona fide reality show so I set it to record.
    Thankfully I don't care about spoilers and opened this thread.
    Now I know I don't have to waste my time with it.

<deleted>

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I just saw a couple of snippets while in the hospital and thought it was a drama.

When I got home and watched the pilot, I was thinking "Bunch of city kids, in Siberia?, no food, no clue, this could turn into another Donner party."

Then I noticed, no one seemed concerned about not having facilities, or toilet paper, etc.

But, the "fatality" was a dead give away. If that had happened, this show would never have seen the light of day.

I'll watch a few eps to see where it goes.

11. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
  12. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I had no idea what it was and they did sucker me in for a while. I thought some of the people there were "ringers" (like the woman who showed up at the cabins before almost anyone else, after we didn't see her at all during the hike) placed by the producers to make better TV, while others were real contestants. I was also thinking "it's weird there are so many beautiful women on this show". When the sounds happened I was sure it was the producers messing with the contestants and I thought it was weird the way they reacted (if it'd been me in a reality show I know I would have thought the noises were fake). Once they found the 3-legged frog I knew it was all fake.

I kind of thought it was interesting as a reality show (although unrealistic: "no rules"? Not going to happen) but I was much less into it as a drama.

Plus, I don't understand why but all the networks are putting all the shows I want to watch this summer on Sunday and Monday. The rest of my week is a TV wasteland and there's like 6 shows on Monday! This one is at the bottom of the list so, it won't get recorded (only two tuners).

13. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    This. Thanks for saving me!

14. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Even after reading this thread I watched the pilot. I'll give it at least a couple more episodes. I think it may have some promise.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    For me, they'll have to make it less of a reality show...as a non-aficionado, there wasn't much air between this and the real thing. The drama elements had better emerge much more strongly soon, or it will just feel too much like watching a reality show. I saw it pitched as "Survivor meets Lost"; so far it's 98% Survivor and 2% Lost. They'll probably have to get around 50-50 to keep my interest for more than another week or two.

16. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    How did the dark haired lady beat the 2 guys that ran like hell ?

17. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I watched the pilot knowing it was a fake reality show, and also having read a description containing the keyword "supernatural", so I didn't hate it. I get a little bit of Cabin in the Woods from it too, along with Survivor.

To say that it's "scripted" might be stretch depending on your definition of scripted. It appears to me to be more improvised around an outline.

18. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I think that's going to end up being a plot-point later on.

19. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Went into this cold and 15 minutes in realized it wasn't a true reality show around the time dude helped the other guy that messed his ankle. Will not watch again.

20. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Still watching.

I like it, but I'm probably kinda weird. :p