1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows you expected to like, but didn't

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dylanemcgregor, May 12, 2012.

1. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    So usually between critical reception, genre, and the opinions of other people who like the same basic stuff you do, you can usually get a pretty good idea if you'll like a show before watching it. But sometimes everything says you should just love a show...and instead your reaction is meh at best.

For me the two in recent history that really stand out are Lost and Torchwood. Lost is the kind of thing that is usually totally up my ally, fantastical, weird, great critical and audience favorite, and a good budget to go with it. Yet once I started watching it I really didn't think it was very good. Flat characters and bad writing, which I could overlook if the plot hooked me at all, but unfortunately even that seemed pretty boring. I watched the first season, and part of the second before giving up. My wife watched a couple of more before deciding she really didn't care about what was going on.

Torchwood is another one that I thought I should really like. My wife and I both watch a fair amount of British shows, and nerds everywhere seem obsessed with Torchwood and Dr. Who, which is generally a pretty great sign. But I find that I just can't get into the show. The mix of drama and humor seems kind of tone deaf, and even though the characters should be really interesting I find that I don't really care about them.

So how about you. What shows should you by all rights love, but just can't get into (or actively hate)?

2. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I agree about Lost
    also
    Alcatraz
    Once upon a time
    and
    I lost interest in Fringe

3. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I had mixed feelings about the River but ended up liking it. (It is canceled so kind of irrelavent now)

4. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tera Nova and Alcatraz. Good premise, terrible shows.

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Terra Nova...I love dino stuff but hate teen angst
    Alcatraz...love SF but the show's a dud
    Unforgettable...loved watching Montgomery's poppys but show was too boring

Then again I'm fussy and only watch 4-5 TV shows max. I miss Justifed something fierce.

6. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    How I Met Your Mother.
    Love the cast, hate the show.

7. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    These are the two that jumped to mind for me, as well.

I heard great things about Downton Abbey, but lost interest after watching the first hour. I'm sure I didn't give it enough of a shot.

Re: Torchwood -- quality varies pretty significantly by season. Season 2 was markedly better than season 1. Children of Earth was fantastic. And the Americanized season that aired on Starz, after COE, was rubbish.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Your Now Playing List must be so bare. What are the 4 or 5 shows you watch?

9. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Justified (wife hates)
    Person of Interest (almost gave up early on, now love it, wife hates it)
    Blue Bloods (wife likes)
    Revenge (wife likes)
    Starz Magic City (wife likes)
    Downton Abbey (wife likes)

Guess I can't count

rest of the TV time is football (wife is pissed at the Patriots & Brady right now)

I'm a voracious reader and prefer wasting my life on the Internet vs TV :)

10. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Pretty sure this is grounds for divorce. :D

11. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Fringe is another show that I think I should like, but based on the couple of episodes I saw just really didn't get me interested. One of these days it will be available via Netflix streaming and I'll give it another shot.

12. DougF

DougF Active Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I know it's bad form to speak ill of The Sorkin, but surely there must be someone out there who will admit to not liking Studio 60.

For me, I'll second (third, whatever) Terra Nova. Only watched two episodes before quitting. Thought about trying to finish if it got renewed, but it didn't so I didn't.

Another was Windfall. I should have known it was weak since it was getting burned off in the summer, but I thought the premise was good.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Person of Interest
    Hawaii Five-O
    Greys/Private Practice

All three are 110% in my normal viewing genres, and I've never warmed to any of them.
    oops, left out NCIS:LA, LOVE NCIS, liked the LA pilot, never liked the LA series.

Normal "must see" shows are:
    Fringe
    NCIS
    Criminal Minds
    CSI:LV
    Revenge
    OUAT

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Thought I would like, so disappointed I stopped watching after a few episodes (or even the first):
    • V (The Remake).
    • Grey's Anatomy.
    • 30 Rock.
    • Modern Family.
    • Up All Night.
    • Caprica.
    • ST: DS9
    • ST: VOY

Watched more than a season, but my interest waned and I stopped watching:
    • All in the "CSI" franchise.
    • House.

Much less good than I expected, but I kept watching, with hope of improvement:
    • Alcatraz.
    • ST: ENT. (This one actually hit it's stride in the last season, I thought, but too late to save it from cancellation.)

15. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    For me it was The Wire. I watched are least 6 episodes, maybe more. Just didn't grab me.

16. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm on episode 4 right now, and I like it but don't love it yet. I certainly don't see how it gets on people's Best Ever lists, but I'm going to keep watching and give it more of a chance.

17. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    The Wire kind of sneaks up on you (or at least did me). I just kind of kept enjoying it more and more without really noticing it. I can't remember when I realized that it was probably in my top 5 or 10 best shows ever, probably sometime in the 2nd season. I've still only made it through 3 seasons though. I'm trying to savor it as much as possible.

18. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    What's OUAT?

19. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Once Upon A Time

20. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I know this isn't exactly the topic but a show I thought I would hate and would get canceled was Revenge. It turned out to be rather addicting for me.