1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows that were great, then sucked

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BradJW, Aug 22, 2011.

1. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    So what are some of your favorite shows that were REALLY good and then got REALLY REALLY bad?

I've seen people say this about Lost, but I wouldn't put it in that category. The first 4 seasons were fantastic and the last season wasn't really good, but it I don't think it sucked.

What brought this up for me is this. I'm filling some summer time watching some old DVDs. I watched season 1 of Prison Break and am watching season 2 now. I'm stopping at season 2. No reason in my opinion to go any further. The whole premise of breaking out of prison, being on the run for a year and then landing back in another prison (with the same exact people) is kinda lame.

Next on my plate is Alias. I plan to watch the first two seasons of this as well. I'll stop well before the happy fun zombie ball surfaces.

I think 24 fits in this category well too, although I'm not certain exactly when it started to suck so much.

What other great shows eventually turned into big bags of suck?

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Even thought I'm still watching it, I am going to have to put Weeds in this category.

3. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Smallville. The first two seasons were pretty good, but then it got progressively worse and worse. The last season redeemed itself *slightly*, but man that was eight seasons of crap.

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Torchwood.

Burn in hell, Starz!

5. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Sopranos

6. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Happy Days :D

7. ihatecable

ihatecable Crazy Collies

Apr 16, 2003
    Long Island,NY
    Lost

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know if they were ever great, but two recent shows that I asked myself "Why am I still watching this?" and stopped were The Closer and Damages.

9. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Actually a pretty good choice. I know the whole 'jump the shark' reference, but really, the first few seasons were good TV for the time. It really seemed to change when they went from film to video tape.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This was the first thing that came to mind (and it's even famous for it :D)

Prison Break was another perfect example

Not sure if Reality shows should count, but The Apprentice I really like the first 3 seasons and then it got to be too much of Trump's ego and an hour long ad. Big Brother is now in this category as they keep bringing back the houseguests I hate, and I can't take another season of watching them.

M*A*S*H, one of my all time favorite shows, but the last few seasons, they had ran out of ideas and screwed up the show's continuity.

11. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Starz? Why not Burn in hell, RTD?

Greg

12. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    This. :up:

13. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I never watched a second of Prison Break, but I always wondered how they could make that into a multi-season show.

I see the OP say that they broke out, were on the run and then back in a different prison. How did the series end? Did they break out of the second prison and ride off into the sunset?

14. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    We usually do a thread like this every year or so, so I'll pull out my usual response.

Earth:Final Conflict. Season 1 laid the foundation for a really complex storyline. There was no specific character that was "good" or "bad"--everyone had their unique motivations and things were being driven by forces just off screen.

Then, in season 2, they decided the show had been too intelligent, scrapped a good chunk of what made the show interesting, replaced the main character with a jock, made the Taelons a more well defined "bad", and wrecked the series. And then it got progressively worse year to year, until season 5, where it was some wierd vampire hunter show with only one guy from the original cast.

15. kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Nobody has mentioned BSG yet?

16. latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    You beat me to it by two minutes! BIH Ron Moore!!

17. cybeleoc

cybeleoc New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Big Love

18. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    i thought heroes was a great concept, they kind of blew it at the end of the first season and everything after

flash forward was also a decent idea that just took a wrong turn somewhere

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    The Office...

20. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    This, after awhile they didn't even try to make it look like they were in the 50's/60's.