1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows I expected to hate but ended up liking

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, May 13, 2012.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    There is a thread for shows that people expected to like and didn't. This thread is for shows that you expected to dislike but were willing to try out and liked.

Smash is one for me. I watched the pilot and thought this looks OK. I collected all of the season but a few shows that had not been aired yet. I am throughly enjoying it. I know nothing about Broadway and the names they drop. Ironically, they dropped the name Neaderlander and then an ad came up for a musical that will be playing in Los Angeles, a Neaderlander production. So they are dropping real names.

Missing is another one. The premise sounds lame but I stuck with it after the pilot and enjoy it. I am hoping it comes to a conclusion since it has been canceled.

Glee - my sister was watching an episode. I ended up catching up using Netflix and then a basic cable channel repeated the entire run. I don't enjoy it as much as at first but still do.

Once Upon a Time has grown on me and so has Grimm.

2. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    PanAm
    GCB

(burn in hell, ABC)

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    2.5 Men, as least this season, although I need to watch the Sheen episodes to really appreciate it, I suppose.

4. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Duck Dynasty! If you're not watching this show, you're missing out! Hilarious!

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I expected to hate 2 Broke Girls. I enjoy it especially since the addition of Jennifer Coolidge.

I also expected to hate Lost and Ally McBeal. Both of the premises sounded awful and they both turned out to be two of my favorite shows.

6. CorgiMom28

CorgiMom28 In search of a Title

Jan 6, 2007
    The "Freak...
    Lost
    Revenge
    Big Bang Theory

Those immediately come to mind... I'm sure there are others.

7. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't actually expect to HATE it, but I didn't expect to like it. For some, totally unknown, reason I was drawn to 'Being Human' (American version) one day. It just happened to be noon on a Sunday and something told me to go to the Sy Fy channel right at that time. They were playing a marathon of S01. Watched the whole thing and loved it. Well, by E03 I set up the rest to record but I watched it all within a few days.

I don't watch any of the vampire-type shows as I'm probably just not in that demographic (being older and all, I guess). But I love this show and I love these characters.

8. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    I had the opposite happen. I really wanted to like Being Human, but I found it to be boring and predictable. The actors played their parts in a very flat fashion, and everything seems way too contrived. I'm going to try the British one to see if it's any better.

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    Grimm. It turned out to be pretty good.

10. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    My Little Pony. I only watched it to make fun of a friend who really liked it.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Game of Thrones, especially after the first 2 or 3 episodes last year, but now I love it.

Suburgatory, which I was on the fence about watching and it's my favorite of the new sitcoms

Raising Hope, which sounded kind of dumb in the synopsis of the series, but I love it.

12. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Big Bang Theory.
    Deadliest Catch.

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I heard that the Brit version started out really well but went flat. YMMV, though! :)

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I also expected to hate Revenge. I HATED this promo shot and it made me not want to watch. Luckily, it has become must see TV for me.

[​IMG]

15. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I expected to hate Game of Thrones and Once Upon a Time and didn't watch either of them until they were well into it and only then because of all the raves in various threads here. Now they are two of my favorites so I'm so glad I gave them a chance.
    I also expected to maybe not hate but only tolerate Vampire Diaries and only tuned in for Ian but it's also one of my favorites.

16. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Oh and the US version of the Office. I was against it from the start, but tuned in once people at work were talking about it.

17. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Doctor Who - Started watching a few eps during the last Doctor's stint when my cable co picked up BBCA. Now I'm scrounging up all the earlier eps I can find

Revenge - Sounded very "soapy" to me, but now I can't wait to see how the Grayson's get what's coming to them

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It took me two episodes to get used to the blood and gore and green screening of Spartacus but I'm glad I did.

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Expected to hate Revenge but liked it, although it's not as good as it started out
    Expected to hate Magic City but am hooked

20. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    BSG

I had no interest in it. Ran across it on Netflix last week and decided to give it a shot. I really like it.