1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there have been a white TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unitron, Feb 12, 2014.

1. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The picture* leading off this article

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...ns-cheaper-disc-free-white-xbox-ones-in-2014/

at least when I first saw it as a thumnail, triggered my S3 HD front panel detector, and made me wonder if TiVo could have gotten anywhere with a box done in white.

*a little more copyright wary after the hottest actresses kerfuffle.

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Most AV components these days tend to be black and sometimes silver. A white Tivo would have been more of a novelty item, but I don't see it having widespread appeal. I think most people would want a component that blends in with the rest of their system.

That being said, I think a white Tivo would be unique. OTOH, why stop there? How about offering Tivo faceplates in a variety of colors and designs? I could easily see the appeal of having one in your favorite pro sports team colors with a logo on the front. I'm surprised someone hasn;t come up with an aftermarket gimmick for tricking out a Tivo or other hardware like they do with X-Boxes and other devices.

3. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    The Microsoft white box is diskless, A similar white Tivo wouldn't work very well without a disk unless of course that whole cloud thingy works out.... :D

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A white TiVo might fit in with some Apple stuff.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    A white TiVo would stand out from most TV-related gear, annoyingly so. Also, white cabinets have a nasty tendency to yellow over time - something I notice whenever I see someone with an older Macbook.

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I was thinking along the same lines. Like, if Apple bought out TiVo then all TiVos would be white but instead of a little TiVo guy on front, there would be a apple with antenna, feet, and a face.

7. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
  8. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Nah. It would be the TiVo guy with a bite taken out of him. :eek:

9. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    OK, so we need someone to make a graphic of that.

[media]http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051202031014/uncyclopedia/images/f/fe/TiVo_Addict.jpg[/media]

I mean a different graphic than that one, or this one.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2010/07/appletvtivotini.jpg

10. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Will this do?

Attached Files:

11. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
  12. christheman

christheman New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    I think that's just their silver color.

13. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    The series 2 was white and silver o'course...

[​IMG]

14. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    AppleTV is black.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's the first Series 3 and that's chrome and not white around a black "middle", kinda like the only 2 tuner S2.

It was the model that followed it, the (Series 3) HD, where the black "stripe" is more narrow and rectangular, and much less close to as long as the entire front panel, of which the white XBox sort of reminded me at first glance.

16. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    But Apple TV's are black and there is no logo on the front of them.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Interesting idea. But TiVo has pretty much followed the fashions set by other electronics manufacturers -- first grey, then silver, then silver and black, and currently (since the Premiere), black. Actually, the Roamio has a bit more style than that, but it's still predominantly black.

Black's had the longest stability as a fashion, and it's hard to complain, since it's unobtrusive and goes with anything. :) Although I suppose there are times when one wants a component to stand out a bit more.

I just wish the Roamio basic was more stackable.

18. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Yes, that is perfect!