1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Stick with American Horror Story?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Watched the first ep today. It was kind of all over the place. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it. Does this show eventually go somewhere satisfying, somewhere that makes some sense, or is it just a bunch of Lost-like bits and pieces that never actually add up to anything?

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    If you were not thoroughly entertained by that amazingly good first episode then maybe this is not for you.
    It goes somewhere but not everyone found it 100% satisfying.
    Not exactly like Lost IMO but not 180ยบ difference by any means.

Hard to discuss without giving up spoilers as it's been so long since I saw it.
    Weord, wacky, and Jessica Lange is a National Treasure.

3. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I've only see the latter 2/3 of the first season of American Horror Story. It was enough to keep me interested.

They tie up the story line for the most part. It is weird and wacky. Mostly it is worth watching for the performance of the cast, which is stellar. Darkly funny at times, frightening and creepy at other times.

I never watched Lost, so I can't really compare.

If you are looking at it as a mystery that ties up everything in a bow at the end of the season, you won't get that. But the storyline concludes in the same way a campfire ghost story might conclude. I found it satisfying.

4. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I'd stick with it, definitely.

5. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    Worth it. I call it Mean David Lynch. The title sequence is a favorite.

6. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Stick with it. Go back to the threads for the series, a lot of us were intrigued but confused by the first episode, but by the 2nd or 3rd, things started to tie together and worked amazingly well.

I saw it as a horror movie that happened to be a season long.

Greg

7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well, I loved it but the season is definitely a hot mess. If you're looking for cool, calculating plotlines and everything wrapped up neatly it may not be for you. But if you're looking for a lot of spooky and serious scenery chewing by great actors, stick with it.

8. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    The main TV Guide critic hated it, and I mean HATED it. He still gets in digs whenever he can. However, while I usually find him the TV critic whose tastes most closely align to mine (among other things, he too was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan), he is completely wrong on this one.

I thought it was exceptional, and even literary at times (without being boringly literary). It definitely gets better as the season goes along too.

Yes, I usually fast forward through title sequences--with True Blood and Treme being exceptions because of their great music--but AHS has great music and super-creepy visuals.

9. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    This turned out to be one of my favorite new shows of the season. While I recall the first episode feeling "all over the place," it really isn't quite as disjointed as it may seem at first blush. The show is faithful to its own logic. It's just the logic of a lunatic. It's a VERY entertaining ride if you decide to stick with it, with lots of "oh no they didn't!" moments along the way.

10. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    ^^ That's a very good description of the show :up:

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Hmmm...timely thread.

I watched the first episode when it aired and have the remainder of the season stockpiled on my Tivo.

I have been considering just deleting it - I figure if I haven't been interested enough to watch it in all this time, maybe I am just not interested. I found the first episode kinda weird for my taste.

Based on the comments here, I am now wondering if I should give it another shot...

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, it really doesn't get any less weird...

13. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    I have the season saved, too. I plan to get around to it, but just got sidelined by all the other stuff on this summer. Used to be summer TV viewing was horrible, and I needed to keep something around to watch, but there has been so much on this year that I've just not had time for AHS.

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We now have the FX channel. Any chance they will repeat Season 1 or do I have to find it for rent somewhere?

15. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Just guessing but they often rerun the first season as a lead in to the second.

16. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Wow, you may have killed it right there for me. I never liked Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet or Wild At Heart, etc.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    That's my hope.

But like Maui, I too disliked the Twin Peaks and similar movies/shows he mentioned, but I'll give this one a shot.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Then you clearly have not experienced "Eraserhead".

I found "American Horror Story" to be creepy, compelling, and intriguing. Looking forward to Season 2 ...

19. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    Ahk, please don't let that stop you from viewing. I see David Lynch in a lot of places, mostly the influence on visual style and strangeness. Lynch isn't for everyone, and this series certainly is not as well. But let's just say it is strange and beautiful and creepy and dark, no association with anyone....

20. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I actually would like to give it a try. I just need to figure out how.