1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i keep my tivo premiere when i get the roamio & mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by celtic pride, Jan 25, 2014.

1. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Is it better to keep my tivo premiere xl2 in the bedroom when i get the roamio pro,or should i buy the tivo mini with lifetime and take advantage of the tivo advisory coupon? I was going to buy both the pro & mini ,but my wife thinks we dont really need to spend the extra $175.00 for the mini. what would you guys do and why?

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    So, if you don't have lifetime and have a cable card in the Premier, getting a lifetimed mini will pay for itself in under a year. If you sell the premiere, then you'll get to the break even point very fast.

If its lifetimed, you'll probably actually make some money on the deal, based on a quick glance at what lifetimed xl2's are getting on ebay right now, and be saving money on the extra cable card right away.

($175-money recouped from Premier sale/(cable card fee+tivo service fee)= number of months to break even point.

If you arent going to sell the Premier and give it to a friend or whatever, the math would be: $4.95 per cable card (what I pay), plus 12.95 for service (with the MSD discount) so: 175/17.90=only 9.7 months till it starts saving money.

----
    Upsides to the swap:
    Mini much snappier in general use/launching apps/etc than Premiere
    Future-proofing yourself
    Lower power consumption on Mini than Premier
    No fan in the mini (some people are sensitive)
    Unified play list/management from either room
    Mini should theoretically be more bulletproof with external power supply and no hard drive.
    Save money every month once you reach the break even point.
    Mini can be tucked away, use the IR extender or get a slide pro. (Increased WAF*!)

Downsides:
    Lose the 2 tuners in the Premiere
    Lose the storage space on the Premiere
    Time to copy shows/season passes from Premiere to Roamio
    Time to list/sell/ship the Premiere (if you choose to sell it)

*Wife Acceptance Factor ;)

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
  4. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    My standing recommendation is to sell all prior Tivos and get Roamio(s) and Minis with lifetime service even at regular price. They really are that much better. Life is too short to deal with a Premier one day longer than necessary. So the Mini at $175 including lifetime is an even bigger no brainer. There are OTA reasons and a few apps that might put a wrinkle in that recommendation, but for the most part eBay is your friend.

Once you get the Roamio Pro it will become clear to you.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Oh please, I have an Elite and it's not intolerable unless you're ADD. Some folks have no patience at all.

6. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Thanks to all your replys ! I still have a 6 days to make up my mind, you guys got me leaning,towards getting the mini ,except for the v301 error codes i get quite often when using rhaposdy since i got my LIFETIMED tivo premiere xl 2s ,i've been happy with them for the most part, but i always wanted the roamio pro, I just thought $599.00 was too high for me to pay,but $399.00 is more reasonable, even the wife surprised me when asked why i hadnt ordered it yet,except she thought i should just keep the tivo premiere in the bedroom,now i have a few days to change her mind!:D

7. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I would compare it to waiting in periodic traffic on the Elite and an empty freeway on the Roamio/Mini.

It just feels better all around.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'd keep the Premiere rather than get a Mini since:

a. It can serve as a backup
    b. Hook it up to an antenna and you can get OTA channels.

The main downside is that you can't really channel surf cable channels.

As far as WAF is concerned, well that would depend on the W wouldn't it?

9. sleepdragon

sleepdragon New Member

May 22, 2010
    It all depends on if you need the additional storage space from the Premier
    I have a Premier XL with 2tb upgrade and now a Roamio Plus with 3tb upgrade
    I am keeping both, Premier used to store kids shows while Roamio for me and the wife
    The SD menu on Premier is not fancy but fast enough for everyday use

10. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    The elite is nothing compared to the Roamio, just nothing.
    Bootup time - Roamio
    Menu speed - Roamio
    Actual BOX speed - Roamio

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my elite, but it's getting retired at the end of it's contract, in favor of a new Roamio. The device is THAT fast!

Now, as to the OP's question, this is something that only you can really decide.
    Do you want (or need) the additional tuners? Then stick with the Premiere.
    Do you have a lot of data on the Premiere? Than stick with it.

I can't speak to the speed of the mini, honesty, but if you already HAVE the device, why downgrade?

11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Lots of good information and ideas thanks ! Now i'm thinking of selling 1 premiere and getting the pro and mini,i would put the pro in the living room leave my other premiere in the bedroom and put the mini in my sons room,thats if he wants it,he s of the newer generation that only uses his tv for gaming and usually watches tv on his computer or smart phone! I prefer to watch on my big screen tv with my AV system for surround sound as well.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    ABSOLUTELY keep the Premiere and use it for OTA, Streaming, and storage. WAY more versatile than the Mini. The fact that is has OTA fixes a glaring problem with the Roamios.

13. RTPGiants

RTPGiants New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I've got this same decision to make. I have a Premier with the $6.95 rate because it's an old S1 subscription. But I want to clarify whether the Premier can actually stream stuff from a Roamio? That is to say, can it just play stuff directly rather than having to transfer it first? Right now I have a Premier & HD and if they want to "talk" to each other they have to transfer programs, most of which are not eligible because of the copy flag, so I'd like to avoid that sort of issue.

14. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    All Premieres and Roamios can stream shows to each other.

15. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I am in a similar predicament...I just upgraded my Premiere to a basic Roamio (should arrive by the end of the week.) I would like to keep the Premiere, but not at $12.95 a month. Do they, as someone mentioned above, allow you to buy lifetime on the old box for $99? (I did the upgrade offer and am rolling over my $6.95 grandfathered plan currently on the Premiere to this new Roamio.)

16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Call Tivo, its the only way to know.

17. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Gotcha. Well, they told me that I have to call to activate when I receive it since I am swapping boxes, so we will see what they say then. Thanks.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How long have you had the Premiere?

19. BP-isMe

BP-isMe New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Boston
    I got $99 lifetime on Both of my Premieres after getting a Roamio Basic. I also got transferred the grandfathered plan from one of my Premieres to the Roamio. The transfer took two calls as the first CSR said no.

Your Mileage may vary.

I'm hoping that they will introduce "Mini functionality" to the Premiere since one of mine donated it's cable-card to the Roamio.

Good Luck...Brad