1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping TiVo sold on eBay

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PoobBubes, Sep 15, 2013.

1. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I need to ship a Premiere via UPS ground. Is it ok to ship in the original box or should I double box it?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Original box should be fine, double boxing would be overkill IMO.

3. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    The Tivo itself should survive being shipping its original box, but I've always double-boxed Tivos I've sold. First, it preserves the original box and second, it becomes an anonymous beige box that might be less likely to be stolen from an unattended doorstep.

4. steinbch

steinbch Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I shipped mine this past month in the original box. I sent it via Fed-Ex and the person I spoke with there said that it was a waste to double-box..though I'm sure there are others that would disagree.

If you require a signature, then it doesn't matter if the TiVo outside is showing since they won't be able to leave it at the door.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Another vote for original box only. I recently sold my THDXL on eBay and only used the original box.

6. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Original box it is!
    Thanks for all the feedback.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    AND original packing !!

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's in the manufacturer's financial interest to have the TiVo arrive undamaged regardless of how it's handled or on what kind of vehicle it gets shipped.

You aren't likely to do any better than what they designed and used, provided you use all of what they used (don't replace the styrofoam end pieces with with wadded up newspaper).

9. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    When I got my first Premieres used, they came in the original box, and then they were inside another box exactly larger to the other box would fit inside it.
    I have received Tivos in boxes with NO packing and they were unharmed. I was shocked they could take that much abuse. The only time I had a problem was with a Series 2 that had a adapter for a different type of hard drive. That came lose as it wasn't held on by a tie wrap or something else. It worked find after I plugged it back in.

10. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I recently got a 4-tuner Premiere from Woot and when it arrived, it was basically in JUST the original TiVO box so I would think this is OK for your needs as well.

11. jalaram

jalaram New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    This is why I try to keep all my original packing. I still have the original box for my ReplayTV. :)

12. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    South Florida
    It is fine to ship in the original box (one of my Premieres was shipped to me that way by a merchant and it was fine). But due to the issues others have mentioned (possible target for theft, depending on buyer's neighborhood) and the difference in costs, you may want to offer two options.

I recently sold 2 new premieres - and after I had accepted the buyer's best offer, he insisted that I double box..cost me $7 to buy a box that would fit them both. Granted, the buyer should have made this request before purchasing, but it doesn't hurt to offer 2 shipping options so they can choose.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Unfortunately it costs way too much to ship a Tivo via UPS/post office...

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Shipping weight for a TiVo HD is 14 pounds. Kind of heavy.

A basic Roamio has a shipping weight of 6 pounds.

This should make future mailing of used TiVo boxes much cheaper.

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    It's how Tivo sent mine, I'm sure they did some testing when they came up with the solution.

16. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I thought UPS wouldn't cover a reused box with their insurance.

From http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/materials/original.html

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I always double box any TiVo I ship. One, so no one can see what it is, and two it also helps protect it. I get boxes from Office Depot for under $3 that the TiVo box will fit in. And they are nice and thick too.

I also require an adult signature. Since that is supposed to require them to look at their ID. With just a regular signature, anyone can sign for it without ID. Ground shipping is typically between $20 and $30 for TiVos I've shipped, depending on whether it's the East coast or West coast or somewhere in between. I also get the insurance coverage for the amount the TiVo was sold for.

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have received several hundred UPS packages with "adult signature required" in at least 5 different states, and not one UPS driver has ever asked for ID. Sometimes they ask for a name, and I tell them whatever it says on the package.

19. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If anything they look at package then you and ask if you are so and so.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm just saying that is what they are supposed to do. I do know anytime I pickup a package at the facility they look at my id, but at home they have not always looked at the I'd when they got a signature. Although if they deliver to the wrong person without checking their id then I guess they would he liable.