1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp TV powers Tivo off

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Zoey2, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Zoey2

Zoey2 New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    How do I get Tivo to stay on when I power my sharp TV off? Tivo automatically powers down when I turn off my TV so I have to wait for it to reboot every time I turn my TV on which takes several minutes. Appreciate any help.

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Not sure what is happening here, does the Sharp TV have a switched AC power outlet and the TiVo is plugged into that? If so, plug the TiVo in a wall outlet. If not, I have no idea how your Sharp TV powers down a TiVo.

3. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    This is extremely rare, so you have an uncommon combination of hardware.

There are "smart" power strips. Do you have something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK

If not, you should post the model of TV and Tivo.

4. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought all models just went into stand by, no such thing as off unless unplugged?

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Are you certain that the TiVo is powering off when you turn off the TV? If not, there are 2 other possibilities.

1. Turning on the TV is having a momentary effect on the power at that location so that the TiVo is being power cycled.

2. The TV is sending a signal over HDMI that is causing the TiVo to reboot.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you have the TV plugged into a smart power strip, if so, plug the TV into another plug on the strip.

7. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    My receiver has a setting that controls attached devices through HDMI. It doesn't do it with my Tivo Premiere, but if I turn off my TV it will turn off the receiver and all other connected devices. But not the Tivo.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The only way to power off a Tivo is by disconnecting it from the power source. The OP hasn't followed up with any specifics about his setup so we're left with nothing but conjecture at this point.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's all most people here need. Actual facts just get in the way.

10. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    It would be nice to hear from OP with either how it got solved, or with more detailed info.

11. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    There was problems with older tivo software versions causing tivo reboots with hdmi connections... What software version are you running?

Switch from hdmi to component to see if it goes away.

12. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed, good place to start if the Tivo isn't plugged into a switched outlet. Of course if plugged into a switched outlet (i.e. receiver) then HDMI signal could be turning off that device and thus cutting off power to the Tivo.

13. tyd450

tyd450 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    what tivo model?

14. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    A re-boot is not the same as the OP was asking about, if you turn your TV off how would he know if the TiVo re-booted, a power off TiVo would have the power light go out when the TV is turn off, turn the TV on and the TiVo would be in the boot up mode, that would very annoying, having to wait 5 to 8 minutes before you could watch TV. The HDMI cable may put the TiVo in sleep mode (standby mode) so the power light goes out and comes back on when the TV is turn on, this would not cause any problem with the TiVo operation of recording programs and may be an advantage sometimes. I would have no problem if my TV did that to my TiVo.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I predict "one and done" and OP never returns :)

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    We have no idea what is actually happening, only that the OP is seeing the boot screen when he first turns on the TV. Which is why I posed the question I did in my first post in this thread.

In any case, I suspect Diane is correct.

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My bad, did not read the OP post closely enough, so if turning off the TV removes the power from the TiVo, the problem has to be the power strip as there is no signal that turns off the power to any TiVo, also the OP must not be recording much, if anything if his only problem is waiting for his TiVo to boot up to watch TV. You would think the OP would complain about his TiVo not recording programs.