1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shark Tank OAD 11/162012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Nov 20, 2012.

1. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was absolutely amazed at the Update segment that had Mr. Wonderful in relaxed clothes (a white linen shirt with a bunch of bracelets and stuff) and him JAMMING out on the guitar...wow.

2. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That looked like a total act of him trying to be cool (and failing). I'm not a guitar player, but to me it didn't look like he could really play at all.

The RUCKPACK, the dress rental and Netflix for Ties pitches were all total non-starters.

I liked the wine cruise idea, although their business model needed tweaking (too expensive for existing captains/boat owners),but a great idea to use otherwise idle resources. But a Corks Away ride in Vegas? They've been smoking too much.

If I hear one more "It's Netflix for XXX" I'm going to strangle someone. The "Netflix for kids toys" was a total flop.

3. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree....I think that business model only works for movies and games. Is there another example of another product that uses that business model that is succesfull?

4. robbhimself

robbhimself New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    rent a swag®*

from parks and rec (another show) for those who don't get the reference

;)

5. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    At least the Rucksack was a different twist on the energy shot market.

6. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    The dress rental and RUCKPACK are good niche ideas but the Sharks like products that have a wider application. The dress rental could widen into high end ball gowns, I am surprised how much parents are willing to spend on a dress for their daughters prom.

7. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree that the wedding dress rental is niche and NYC is probably the PERFECT place for that business....but I thought the Ruckpack could have mass appeal. Caffine in energy drinks/shots is a big debate right now and one that had ZERO caffine could prevail.

8. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Maybe, but the 50% hit for renting a dress is too steep. Buy it for full price, and get 50% back the next day? I don't think so.

9. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I don't think they sell it as full retail since its on consignment anyway. You could look at it as 50% of what you bought or 50% more than letting it sit in storage.

10. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yes, I think it will appeal to some people, but not enough to make a business out of it. They're not the first business to do wedding dress consignment. Their business was more "we'll sell it to you for full price, then you have the option of selling it back for 50% of what you paid if you choose not to keep it".

11. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I checked out the wedding dress web site. They had a pretty nice selection, but I was shocked that one of the descriptions said: "will need to be professionally cleaned".

I can see someone buying a used dress, but a used DIRTY dress? I don't think so.

12. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm tired of the Sharks whining to people who bring in businesses that are in the early stages. If they don't want to take risks with their money then they should sit at home and buy T-Bills. Sure, many of the ideas are bad or too niche, but some entrepreneurs are denied for no reason other than "it's too early." You don't get where Mark Cuban and Mr. Wonderful are without taking big risks early on.

Yeah that sounds like a waste of time. It seems like they should require the dress to be cleaned before it goes on consignment.

13. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    The problem is, that these people either come in wanting hundreds of thousands of dollars on a prayer or want a $30k "loan" which isn't even worth the Shark's time.

14. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    But its full of memories... :D

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I blame the producers. If the Sharks don't want people who are too early in their businesses, then the producers should stop putting them on the show.

16. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    exactly.. .whoever is responsible for the pre-screen is really bad at it. Bring in companies that are successful, have SOME sales, but need a B round of funding. Then the sharks will be jumping at every deal, and not humiliating small business owners just getting started.

17. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I actually liked the one-run show "American Inventors" a lot better.

18. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I find it funny that sometimes the Sharks act very interested in being active in the business they're buying a stake in and other times they act as if they don't want to provide that part of it at all. At least Kevin is usually very upfront about it, like "I want to be your financier" or "I will help you sell your company/license your technology to X."

I don't know why, but I feel like Barbara is the only one who will actually act as a mentor. I think the other guys are too busy to really bother, but they'll pop in for 30 minutes to film a little update montage. Lori will get stuff on QVC and let it sink or swim there.

19. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Barbara seem to have a whole business "mentor" model. It seems like she has a team that she sticks people with when she invests in them. Good idea.

The Netflix for ties was also on a recent episode of the League.

20. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    As much as I like Robert....they really need to look at replacing him. He makes a great moderator but I think I can count on one hand how many times he's invested and most of those have been as part of another Shark.