1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shark tank 5/4/12 custom bicycles?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, May 5, 2012.

1. May 5, 2012 #1 of 67
    omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Anybody else think the sharks got suckered on this one?

Those "custom" bikes looked to me like spray painted junk yard bikes with minimum customization, maybe chromed handlebars and home made seat covers. Take a bunch of rusty old bikes and paint each a single color then just swap the parts.

$600 my foot. Maybe if they were BMX style bikes. I could be wrong but I think I'm right.

2. May 5, 2012 #2 of 67
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Not a scam. Custom cruisers are all the rage some places, and people are willing to pay big money for a bike that's completely original.

They don't look like recycled junk yard bikes to me: http://www.villycustoms.com/

3. May 5, 2012 #3 of 67
    GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I didn't pick up at all that these were used bike parts. Was something said on the show that I missed? I thought that these were custom new bikes, which I don't think are that overpriced for a custom bike.

4. May 5, 2012 #4 of 67
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I was very interested in the product from the guy who invented rollerblades. I don't think he has figured out the right application for it yet.

I like that the illusion boots came to the woman in a dream!

5. May 5, 2012 #5 of 67
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Oh yeah, and the air mattress for your truck - just buy a regular air mattress!

6. May 5, 2012 #6 of 67
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    While I wouldn't pay that much for a bike, I think they're cool-looking and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'll buy them.

As for the truck mattress . . . why? Who wants to climb into the back of their truck to sleep? If I'm doing anything remotely like that, there'll be a tent involved. At the very least, I'd put a mattress on the ground so I could access it easily not have to climb into the back of the truck and sleep out under the stars. I think this has an extremely limited market. And I'm pretty sure there are already air mattresses that have built in devices to blow them up.

7. May 5, 2012 #7 of 67
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm really amazed how much money people put into colossally bad ideas like AirBedz...

I dunno why the Sharks were having such a hard time with ideas coming in a dream. Flying to Turkey on a whim (for business) seemed a bit weird, but at least it spared us from the Sharks whining about something costing too much because it was made in the USA.

8. May 5, 2012 #8 of 67
    inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    When I had a truck in high school, I had a foam mattress I could put in the back, and with a camper shell, it was a nice place to sleep or "hang out" :D

If I still had a truck I'd buy one.

9. May 5, 2012 #9 of 67
    inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Wait, those bikes are USED parts?
    I didn't hear that at all during the show.

10. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    After further inspection of the http://villycustoms.com website here's a breakdown of the deal.
    Prices range from $604 to $1000 +, price difference depends almost exclusively on degree and quantity of colors and the use or non-use of swarovski crystals for decoration.

Frame is steel, no other option available.

Single speed, 3 speed available for around $100 extra.

Coaster brake on rear wheel only.

Shipping is a flat $68 via fedex.

No refunds, strict shipping damage rules.

What a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    No, I don't think so, but the OP seemed to think so, so I was asking if maybe I missed something.

12. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Ah ok, I missed that thinking they were announced as used parts.

13. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Now that I re-read the OP, maybe he's saying that you could get a similar look with used parts. I don't know - it didn't seem real clear to me.

14. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    And they all are the same style. No mountain bikes or anything.

15. LordKronos

LordKronos New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    I can definitely see a use for it. Setting up and tearing down camp can take a while. I'd be happy to have a setup like that to be out doing photography. For photography, time is very limited for taking good photos. The last thing I'd want to be doing if I were out alone would be wasting that time packing up camp. Admittedly, that's not a large market, but it's at least one use.

16. crxrocks

crxrocks Active Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Etherville
    It's also great for hiking. If we are going to go on a really long hike, we'll sometimes sleep at the trailhead the night before.

17. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    something like these?

http://www.coleman.com/products/10079

18. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I just learned my Son is coming back home from AZ and bringing my (well his, soon to be mine again) Ford Ranger - and I think the airbed is a great idea. I have to look for a tent that fits the bed, that would be a killer combo.

For those of you who do not see the need for a truck bed, you must no do much camping/backpacking or fishing trips.

19. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    But why can't you just use a regular air mattress? There are plenty of those already on the market.

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I was just going to say if he packaged a really nice looking and functional tent to mount on top of the truck bed, that would be a great combo.